Status: Coming Soon <3

Fighting Dragons With You

T h r e e

"How could you be so irresponsible, Cora?! You told me you wouldn't do these sorts of things! Why do you have to be so difficult about this?" her mother yelled as Cora sleepily walked into the kitchen, a headache making her head pound horribly.

"Let's save the interrogation for when I'm not hungover, shall we?" Cora said raspily, still rubbing the sleep out of her droopy eyes. Her mother sighed dramatically.

"Just take a look at the newspaper, would you?" she said, exasperated, and then turning back to cooking the bacon and eggs on the stove.

Cora dragged herself over to the kitchen table and plopped down, picking up the newspaper that had carelessly been thrown on the table. Her eyes scanned the front page, stopping abruptly on a picture of her and a very familiar guy sitting at a bar, laughing.

She turned to look at her mother quickly, a look of pure confusion and panic on her innocent face.

"I.... I don't understand." she said quietly, prompting her mother to answer.

"His name is Evgeni Malkin, he plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins. He's an athlete who's talking to some girl no one knows, did you really think no one would care? Athletes have no breathing room and neither does anyone who associates with them," her mom said sternly, giving her a strict look and implying a word of caution to her daughter.

"I know who he is, mother. I just.... I guess I just don't care and I'm wondering why you care anyway," Cora said, a little annoyed. Her mom set the spatula down and turned on her heel to look at her daughter, a glint of sorrow in her eyes.

"Why do I care? Cora, honey, literally 24 hours ago we thought you were still dying from cancer and we find out you aren't and you're fine, but then I find that my baby girl is being disected and picked apart by reporters and fans. I j-just w-want you to b-be happy!" she said, breaking into sobs near the end, Cora gave her mom a sympathetic look and got up from her chair to place a soothing hand on her back.

"I know you're just feeling emotional from yesterday and I know you're worried about me, but Mom, I'm 22 years old. I've been through things most adults even older than me haven't. I can handle myself just fine." Cora reassured her mom, and maybe even herself a little.

After comforting her mom and then heading upstairs to take a shower, she pulled off her jeans that she had slept in last night after coming home and being too tired and drunk to get into her pajamas. As she slipped out of them, something fell out of the pocket; a piece of paper.

Call.

215 548 2250.


Cora felt her breath catch. He wanted her to call. He wanted to see her again. He, Evgeni Malkin, liked her. Her heart raced and she plugged the number into her phone. Her thumb hovered over the 'call' button and wondered if maybe it was too early. She looked at the clock, which read 10:15, and then thought he must be up. But she didn't want to look desperate.

Oh, what the hell. She hit the call button.

Ring.

Ring.

Ri-

"Hello?"

---------------------------------------------------

Evgeni Malkin woke up the next day feeling amazing. He was Russian, so a few drinks last night didn't phase him in the slightest, so he had no hangover and his mind kept drifting back to last night and that girl. He remembered slipping his number into her pocket and hoped she found it this morning.

He glanced at the clock and saw the time was 6:30. He hurriedly jumped out of bed and into the shower, which he rushed through in 10 minutes. After shaving, brushing his teeth, and getting dressed, he grabbed an apple and rushed out the door, trying to get to practice at 7:15 on time.

He arrived at the arena at 5 after 7, walking into the locker room and seeing that most of his team mates were already suited up for practice.

"Ayyy, Geno. How'd last night go?" Max Talbot asked teasingly, winking and shoving today's paper into the Russian's perplexed face. geno read it and smiled a little smile.

"Go good. Give her my number and she will call," he said confidently, stripping and starting to suit up like his friends. Max clapped him on his back.

"Thadda boy, Geno. Time for you to settle down," Max praised, giving him a goofy smile and then turning to finish lacing up his skates.

"Alright boys, we're having a 3 hour practice today, we've got to work on endurance obviously since last night against the Bruins you guys just let them stomp all over you in the end. Get your asses on the ice in 5 minutes and be ready to sweat," Dan barked, still angry over the loss to Boston two nights ago.

The guys all sighed under their breaths. They were extremely disappointed in themselves for the loss, especially because they gave up 4 goals in less than 3 minutes.

"Damn, I wish I could practice," Sid said angrily, a dissapointed and furious look on his face. Geno gave him a sympathetic face.

"Sorry, Sid. We wish you better, too," Geno said sadly, gesturing to all the guys and himself. the guys all nodded.

"Yeah man, we're dying without you," TK said, half-way joking. Sidney just gave everyone a sad grin and headed out to sit and watch the practice.

All the guys got up and started towards the ice too, mentally prepping themselves for the sure to be grueling practice ahead.

3 hours and a lot of sweat later, the Pens all trudged into the locker room, starting to get dressed and showered. Geno heard his phone go off, a Russian ringtone blaring in the otherwise quiet locker room. A burst of laughs rang out and Geno blushed heavily as he quickly reached for his phone and answered.

"Hello?" he answered, his voice deep and still slightly embarrassed.

"Geno?" an angelic voice answered on the other end. he felt his chest tighten the slightest bit.

"Cora?" he asked, his voice going a bit raspy. He heard a laugh on the other end.

"Yep, it's me. I... found your note." she said and he could hear the smile in her voice.

"You call," he said happily. Then the newspaper sitting at his stall caught his eye and he frowned. "You see paper today?"

"Yeah," she started slowly, the continued teasingly."I look pretty good, don't I?"

"Always," he answered automatically, grinning and very relieved that she didn't freak out.

"Thank, Geno. So do you want to maybe get some lunch today. Say, around 12:30 at Primanti Brothers?" she asked quickly, almost embarrassed. Geno smiled the happiest smile he had in a while as he answered.

"Yes, of course. See you, Cora," he answered happily, waiting to hear her voice once again before he hung up.

"See ya, Geno," she said breathily. Geno hung up and rushed to get dressed and out of the locker room.

12:30 couldn't come soon enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just made up a random number for his number, so yeah. haha(:
I love this story. I think it's because I love Geno.
Also, uhmmm... the game against Boston. Whoa, talk about BULL FUCKING SHIT! I mean, they were winning the WHOLE game until the last 3 minutes. How does that even fucking HAPPEN?
*deep breaths: innnnn.... ouuutt.... innnnn..... ouuuutt*
Okay, all better(: Can't wait for Sidddd to be back!
Please comment and subscribeeee(:
Love, Jenny