Status: in the making?

It Was Always You

People Watching

Mary
------

I stare at the young woman in front of me, all grown up and glowing. That's the only way I can really describe Brooklyn after all this time. Glowing.

She's talking to me, rambling about back home and how things are just the same always. I notice the not-so-sly looks to Cody as he continues to unpack her things.

The porch door swings open behind us and Ryan bolts out of the house. Brooklyn laughs and picks him up, nearly falling over because he's finally reached his teens. She puts him down after a second and stares at him, "Oh my gosh, you've gotten so tall and grown up. I feel so old..."

"If you feel old, how do you think I feel?" I smile and put an arm around my youngest, "And guess who even has a girlfriend?"

Brooklyn's smile grows, "No way. Is she as perty as me?"

Cody makes a huffing noise that sounds a lot like a 'no,' and says, "Can we take the reunion inside? The mosquitoes are coming out..."

I roll my eyes, "Don't be such a spoilsport, Code."

"Yeah, Code, stop being a pain the butt," Brooklyn echoes, the biggest grin plastered on her face.

"Oh? You wanna go there do you?" Cody asks fighting the smile forcing its way onto his face.

"Maybe."

Cody puts down her luggage and sprints after Brooklyn, chasing her across the front lawn. "Why do they act so weird?" Ryan whispers to me, not looking away from how Cody picks up a hysterical Brooklyn who's laughing so hard she can barely stand.

I smiled down at Ryan, his eyebrows knitted together in confusion as Cody and Brooklyn stayed on their backs, staring up at the tie-dyed sky. "You'll see what it's like when you're in love."

"Cody loves Lyn?"

I laugh and usher him back toward the front door, "Why don't you ask him that yourself, alright?"

Ryan tips his head to the side and runs over to the couple laying in the grass, pointing out shapes in the clouds. "Cody, do you love Brooklyn?"

I walk over, trying -- and failing -- the keep a grin off my face. Of course Cody was in love Brooklyn. After we first moved here, I thought he would never come out of his room. What Lyn had said, about never wanting to see him again, cut him so deeply I'd never thought he'd be able to get out of that rut.

But he did, it just took time...and a few rebound girlfriends. He thought I didn't know he was hurting, that I didn't know that even before we moved he was so head over heels for Brooklyn it was almost comical to watch.

Mothers know everything, and I finally think that now he understands that.

"Do I love Brooklyn?" Cody repeats, stealing a glance at his blushing best friend. "Of course I do."

Brooklyn laughs, "I love ya, too Codes."

But I couldn't help but think, Just not in the same way he wants you to.