Sequel: Panda Boy
Status: It may be over, but I still want to hear you guys' comments!

Operation Beautiful

hoping she won't stop smiling like that

“Emma!” I yell loudly, walking up to her. “Where’s Jessica?”

“She had a cheerleading meeting,” Emma says with a sigh, leading me towards the grass. We sit down carefully and pull out our lunches.

“What’s with the tape?” I ask, pointing to the strip of masking tape on her box of pasta.

“The amount of carbs,” she explains, looking down at the number scribbled on the tape. “It says...fourty grams and my I to C ratio is 1 to 12, so...”

I to C? I ponder the phrase for a second. Oh, insulin to carbohydrates. Carbs is just a sientific way of saying sugar. “Ten over three,” I say, trying to be helpful. “So...about three and one-third units of insulin.”

“Thanks,” she mutters. “I’ll just take three and a half. Nutritional info is always off.” She pulls out a little notebook and start scribbling in it.

“What’s that?” I ask.

“My parents,” she snaps, “want me to keep track of what I eat and how much I take for it and my numbers afterwards.” She doesn’t say whether it’s me or her parents she’s snapping at, but I have a feeling it’s me.

“Emma, listen to me,” I plead, turning away briefly as she injects herself. “I screwed up, okay? I shouldn’t have kissed you in the first place and I shouldn’t have said I didn’t mean it or have asked you to forget it ever happened. And I definitely shouldn’t have been a complete ass-hole and ignored you afterwards. Please, can we just start over? Please?”

She stares at me blankly for a second. I stand up, pulling her with me and wrapping her in a hug. “I’m really sorry, okay?”

She hugs me back for a second, then moves away, her body stiffening slightly. She sticks her hand out in front of her.

“Hi, my name is Emmaleigh. Nice to meet you. I don’t like you and you don’t like me. Let’s be friends.”

Oh, shit. This is not happening.

“Hi. I’m Corey. Nice to meet you, Emma.”

“Emmaleigh.”

We sit back down awkwardly. “So...anything exciting happen today?”

She shrugs, then smiles and waves to a brunette girl walking by. Miranda Summers.

“Oh! So you know Miranda?” she asks, turning back to me. I silently thank Miranda for dispelling the awkward atmosphere.

“Yeah.”

Emmaleigh laughs. “So, we’re talking about some poem in English class and there’s this line about ‘death’s dream kingdom’ and she randomly goes, “You know, that reminds me of ‘Barbie’s Dream House’”!”

I snort in laughter. “Out loud?”

“Yes! To the teacher! And then he goes, “Oh, really? Is there a Ken’s dream kingdom, too?”” We both laugh together, falling back into our old friendly routine. I’ve decided that starting all over isn’t going to stop me. I don’t care is she likes Matt anymore. I want her to like me.

***
Jessica eyes me carefully as Emma and I come inside.

“Well?” she hisses as Emmaleigh sits on the dining room table.

“Back to square one,” I say with a sigh.

“Better than nothing,” Jessica says, giving me a look which says I deserve less.

“How are you kids doing?” Mrs. Hansen says with a smile. “Now, I was just about to start dinner, so why don’t you kids move to the living room?”

Emma nods and grabs her backpack.

“I’ll grab your books and stuff,” I say with a smile. She smiles back and nods. Okay, that’s a good sign. I grab the stack on the table in one scoop, hoping I didn’t leave anything behind.

“All right,” says Em. “So today we were talking about limits.”

“Ugh, I hate limits!” I groan. “Trust me, you won’t need them once derivatives come along.”

“But that’s in Calculus,” Emma reminds me. I frown.

“True. Okay, let’s do this!” But it turns out that Emma knows more about limits than I do. I mean, she’s awake in class now and I expelled the dreaded subject from my mind the minute it was no longer needed.

“Dude, you’re no help at all!” Emma protests finally, laughing at my latest question. Good. Making her laugh is good.

“I’m sorry!” I say quickly, hoping she won’t stop smiling like that.

“What?” she asks. No, don’t stop!

“What?” I ask innocently.

“You’re staring at me.”

“Nothing!” I say quickly. “I’m just glad we’re friends again.”

She just looks back down at her book. “Okay, well, I’m going to do these problems. Why don’t you go make me a sandwich or something?”

“You’re hungry?” I ask, my mind instantly thinking of her blood sugar. If her cells aren’t getting enough sugar, be it due to lack of insulin or lack of food, she gets hungry. I feel a sudden light thwack against my head.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Emmaleigh says, her homework rolled up in one hand.

“I was thinking,” I lie, “that I should go make you a sandwich.”

“Forget it,” Emma says, rubbing her stomach gently. “I’m actually not that hungry.”

“Geez!” I joke. “Make up your mind!”

She just sticks her tongue out at me before blushing and turning quickly back to her homework.

When she leaves, I knock on Jessica’s door.

“What?” she asks. “I’m trying to do some homework. Then the cheerleaders are going out for smoothies.”

“Just...” I shrug. “It just sucks that she won’t act the same around me anymore.”

“She’s just putting up a front,” Jessica says, rolling her eyes. “She has pride, you know.”

“But she said she doesn’t like me,” I say with a sigh, leaning against the doorframe.

“And you said you don’t like her,” Jessica notes.

“But she’s not lying! She has a crush on Matt!”

Jessica rolls her eyes. “Today is Friday. Go take her ice skating or to the beach or something tomorrow.”

“Why?”

“Just do it!” she yells in exasperation. “I’m not going to hold your hand through winning her back. That totally kills the cuteness factor!”

“Girls,” I mutter.

“And yet you love us,” Jessica says with a grin. “Here’s all I’m going to tell you: I don’t care what you do or how you do it, but when you confess, you damn well better make it special.”

She’s about to close the door when I stop her.

“Thanks, Jess.”

A slow smile spreads across her face. “You’re welcome.”

“Corey!” Mrs. Hansen calls from downstairs.

I just smile back at Jessica and run downstairs. “Yes?”

“Emma left that,” she says, pointing to the planner on the table.

“Oh,” I say, picking it up. “I’ll give it to her on Monday or something.”

When I make it back upstairs, I suddenly remember how Haley said she had news.

“Hey, what’s up?” I ask her over the phone.

“Oh...hold on, Corey, let me just finish packing.”

“Packing?” I ask, astounded. She’s not moving or something is she?

“Don’t panic. Just hold still a second.” I hear some shuffling and the sound of a zipper. “Okay. So the big news.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m going to China for a week.”

“You’re what?! What about school?”

“Corey,” she says with a laugh. “It’s second semester senior year. What school?”

“Fine,” I agree. “But why China?”

“Well, my mom called again. Apparently she’s getting some weird vibes from my dad’s boss.” I can hear the skepticism in her voice.

“You don’t buy it, huh?”

“Well, the way my mom described her it sounded like a very very mild version of Christa. Apparently my dad isn’t into her at all, which is good. But, anyway, she wants moral support and a family vacation.”

“So you’re leaving...when?”

Haley laughs. “My mom totally over-reacted, so my flight is tomorrow. Anyway, that’s the big news.”

“Oh. Well, have fun, I guess.”

“I will. China sounds exciting. I’ve already made a list of all the stuff I want to do.” She sounds really excited. “I haven’t been out of the country before so...yeah. I can’t wait! Anyway, I’ll make sure to shoot you an email once I’m there, okay?”

“Okay. Bye, Haley.”

“Bye!”
♠ ♠ ♠
So you know how they mention Miranda Summers? Her story is this oneshot I made for a contest.

Remember: that Spike one-shot contest is still going until the end of the month. I'd love to see some submissions ^^ There are pretty much no rules. It just has to be a one-shot either about Spike or how Taley solved the "shirtless problem"

Who thinks Haley's mom will take care of that boss in a snap? What do you guys think of Emma's decision (or what looks like Emma's decision) to stay a little farther from Corey? (Don't worry, it won't last for very long) Why do you think she's doing it?

I need some advice...
I'm trying to write the next chapter which, trust me, is supposed to be fraught with cuteness and sexual tension. But I'm having trouble writing it. Probably because Corey very obviously likes Emma. *sigh* We'll see how it goes. If I wrote it from Emma's perspective it would probably be a lot easier because she would actually have conflicting thoughts while Corey is just trying to get closer to her. What do you guys think? Any tips or words of encouragement?

A Special Thank You
A special thanks to all of you who messaged me about the person who was plagiarizing my work. How did you find it anyway? I messaged them all "mean-like" (you can see the message in my journal) and they apologized profusely and got rid of it immediately. So nice of them ^^

Um...I need some humor here, don't I? Well, a lot of people liked Monkey's remake of my kiss scene and I think mended.heart is going to make me a kiss-scene oneshot, lol. Thanks guys!!

Ah! Funny quotes from my econ teacher, yes?
Movie we're watching in class: "Sam Walton would go down and buy some women's panties and sell them for a ridiculously low price."
Econ Teacher: "I do the same thing. Except I don't sell them. I keep them."