Memoirs of a Revolutionary

Mr. Samuel

Summer of 2017.

The summer I should have spend preparing for and moving into college. Not running from everyone I once knew and traveling with a ragtag bunch of rebels I had somehow become leader of.

Rewind to summer of 2016. July 14th.

It was blisteringly hot. We--myself, parents, and older sister Stephanie--were holed up inside, basking in the air conditioning. The doorbell rang, and Stephanie and I heard the door open and two pairs of footsteps. Mom walked into the kitchen with the visitor after a brief, muttered discussion in the foyer. Stephanie and I turned to get a better glimpse of the man. Balding grey hair. Probably in his late fifties. Forgettable features, I decided. Mom motioned to come to the kitchen from our spots by the AC unit in the window. More specifically, for me to join them at the table.

"This is my daughter, the one you're interested in," Mom said. I scowled at her choice of words.

The stranger expended his arm. "Mr. Aaron Samuel. Pleased to meet you."

I shook his hand cautiously. Something did not real right with him. "Cadon Holster. What's this little meeting about?" I added.

"An educational and financial proposal," Mr. Samuel said, opening up his briefcase. "You have been selected to be a part of the first senior class at a new boarding school for the 2016-2017 school year. I have already talked to your parents about this; now the final decision is up to you."

I stared at the knots of wood in the table, thinking. "I thought this was also a financial proposal."

He blinked, probably thinking I hadn't picked up on that. "Yes, the other part of the deal. Your family will be paid five thousand dollars, and you shall receive schooling from some of the finest educators in America. A win-win situation, I should think."

I had a nagging feeling inside. Like something was wrong with this 'win-win situation'. I worked out too nicely for both parties.

"What's the catch?" I asked. He laughed stiffly, dryly, forcedly.

"Miss Holster, there is no catch. Sometimes things are so good, they are true," Mr. Samuel said.

"Your sweaty palms and standoffish body language say otherwise," I said quietly.

He smiled icily and turned towards my mother. "Your daughter is very astute, Mrs. Holster, which is one of the qualities in our students that is nourished and prized at Hollingbrook Academy." Mom was convinced by his facetious words, but I was not. "Does Cadon accept this offer?" I couldn't believe him, talking about me like I wasn't even there.

"Cadon?" he asked, addressing me this time. This guy made me nervous. Mr. Samuel was hiding something. I honestly didn't want to go to this 'Hollingbrook Academy' at all. The named sounded like the title of a horror B-movie. But five thousand dollars... that was a good bit of money. Especially since my dad had lost his job some weeks ago. I felt trapped.

Mr. Samuel patiently waited for me to finish mulling over the situation. Finally, I said, "I accept."

Papers were signed, initials were scratched, checks were written, and Mr. Samuel left. Mom lovingly tucked the check for five thousand dollars into her pocketbook.

"Cadon!" she yelled. Here we go, I thought. "How could you be so rude?!"

I shrugged. This only caused her to become further infuriated. However, much to my luck, the front door opened at that moment, heralding Dad's return from his crappy job he had found work at. Mom rushed to tell him about the money, and I rushed upstairs. Why would someone pay you to attend a school? Wasn't it usually the other way around, paying tuition fees? Giving you something to get you to do something meant they really wanted you to do that something. So 'Mr. Samuel' and whoever he worked for had to have something to gain by me going to this school. After I calmed down a bit, I started to attribute these feelings to paranoia and nervousness of going to yet another school. Eventually I found out that my assumptions were correct.
♠ ♠ ♠
woot! im happy that this story that has been brewing in my mind for weeks has finally been put to paper computer screen! =) subscribe and comment please!!!