Lights Out

Chapter One- Lincoln

“Do you have to have that up so loud?” I asked my brother who was sitting in front of the television eating breakfast. I walked into the kitchen in a daze. I looked at the clock and rubbed my eyes. Yes that was the time. “Bloody hell, Max!” I shouted at him. “Why didn’t you wake me?” Our parents were away for two weeks on business. Both of them are politicians. Our house can be a warzone between them at times. I have learned to ignore it. I don’t know exactly what they do within the government; I try and stay out of it.

“You still have plenty of time to get ready.” said Max over the back of the couch. I scowled at him and marched to my bedroom. Since Mum and Dad had to rush off to some ‘very important meeting’ I was left to look after the house and everything that came with it; including Max. Not that Max couldn’t look after himself. He turned 16 a few months ago. Although I swear he didn’t act like it.

I quickly pulled on jeans and a blue t-shirt, tied up my Converse and grabbed my school bag. I shouted at Max that it was time to go. He raced to his room for his bag and met me at the door. Lincoln was waiting for us by the gate as usual.
“Let’s go,” I stormed out the gate and towards the bus stop.
“Good morning to you too,” I saw Lincoln share a glance with Max. “Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?” He murmured.
“It’s lucky I woke up at all.” I hissed at Max.
“You still had plenty of time to get ready.” Max defended himself. “Look-” Max stopped mid sentence. “Ah crap.” He started running towards the bus. I looked up and groaned. The school bus was waiting for us at the stop. Lincoln and I started running too.

We made it too the bus just in time. Max climbed on first and headed straight to the back of the bus to sit with his friends. He was probably trying to stay as far away from me as possible. I don’t know why he’s scared of me. I doubt I could beat him in a fight anymore. He’s grown about a foot in the past year and now towers over me. He was only a few inches shorter than Lincoln now.

Lincoln and I found an empty seat and sat down. I sat my black backpack down on my lap and tied my long brown hair back in a tight ponytail to stop it from flapping about my waist. Max hadn’t let my time to get ready properly at all.
“Did you get breakfast this morning?” asked Lincoln. I shook my head in reply as I was holding a hair elastic in my mouth. “Here.” Lincoln tossed me an apple and I caught it in my free hand.
“Thanks.” I said gratefully as I bit into it.
“Bet you’re mad at your parents for leaving you to look after him?”
“It’s not like they can control him any better anyway.” I shrugged. “I shouldn’t have to look after him anyway. There’s barely a year between us.”
“Yeah but when do boys ever act their age?” Lincoln joked.
“Those are wise words coming from you.” I teased him. Lincoln and I had been neighbours my whole life. We’ve been best friends almost as long. Lincoln is a year older than me. When we were little, my parents asked Lincoln if he would show me around on my very first day of school. At first Lincoln was proud to be able to show off how old and mature he was by showing me around. I thought he was the best thing in the world and couldn’t wait until I was as big as him. That was until his friends started teasing him and calling me his girlfriend. From then on Lincoln said I couldn’t talk to him at school anymore. I didn’t understand why but I obliged because I thought he was great and didn’t want him to be mad at me. Lincoln and I were secret friends for years, almost right up until high school when it became socially acceptable to have friends of the opposite sex. His friends started talking to me and then I was allowed to hang out with them. Ever since then our friendship has grown and grown until we’ve become pretty much inseparable.
“I can’t believe this is your final year.” I said to Lincoln as we entered the school yard.
“I know.” Lincoln shook his head in disbelief.
“What are you going to do?” I asked. Lincoln looked at me questioningly.
“What do you mean?”
“I mean once this is all over.” I gestured to the school.
“I’ve told you a thousand times already, Andy.”
“I know,” I said. “But I like to know if anything has changed.” Lincoln sighed.
“I’m still going away at the start of next year.”
“So nothing’s changed then.” I mumble grumpily.
“Andy,” Lincoln stops me and puts his hands on my shoulders, making me look at him.
“I just don’t see how it’s fair.” I said pulling away from him. “I was here for you your entire school life, why won’t you be here for mine?”
“Andy, I am not having this argument with you every time we walk through these school gates.” I ignored him and kept walking and talking.
“You don’t even need me!” I cried. “You have always had plenty of friends. I’m not like you.” Lincoln has stopped behind me. I can tell I Have hit a nerve. I instantly feel bad. What are you doing? I asked myself. He’s being selfish! I argued with myself. You’re the one being selfish. You know Lincoln has barely ever been selfish once in his life. I let my conscience win out.
“What do you mean ‘like me’?” he asked looking hurt. I instantly change my attitude. I walk towards him.
“I mean all pretty and charming.” I tease tugging a lock of his shaggy brown hair. Lincoln tries to look at me with a straight face. Eventually his face breaks out into a big grin that could light up a room.
“God you’re strange.” He shakes his head at me smiling.
“You know it’s true!” I wasn’t trying to make him feel better. Lincoln was gorgeous. Only he didn’t see it. He had these big blue eyes that always see to look past the surface of people. They made you want to trust him with your deep darkest secrets. He had a strong jaw line and his wavy hair shaped his face perfectly. He just had effortless beauty. Everyone wanted to get to know him, they all wanted to befriend him, but I’m the only person who really did. For that I’m forever grateful.

“I’m sorry, Linc.” I apologised. “I’m being so selfish.” I looked up at him. Not at his eyes though. I’ve learnt to avoid them at all costs. I swear he can see inside your soul. And that’s one place I don’t want anyone going.
“Don’t be silly. Do you really think I would be friends with a selfish person?” he smiled at me and I smiled back. “I’ll see you at lunch?”
“Only if you’re looking,”
“I’ll be looking.” He replied and walked to his first class. It felt like people watched us where ever we went. I know everyone wondered why he was friends with me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm trying something a bit different with this one. I'm not sure if my idea will work. Please comment on how I'm going so far :) Thanks!