Lights Out

Chapter Three- Max

Lincoln’s football team was versing Max’s on the oval at lunchtime. I sat on the hill and watched them warming up.
“You’re going down, Cooper!” Max shouted at Lincoln competitively.
“In your dreams, Ross!” Lincoln shouted back. They always called each by their last names when they were competing with each other. It must be some macho male thing. They both came running over to me.
“Honestly, who do you think will win?” Lincoln asked me. They were both looking at me like I owed them something, my best friend and my brother.
“Hmmm, I’m not sure...” I dragged it out as long as possible. “But I’m probably going to have to say...”
“Oh just get on with it!” Max said impatiently.
“Well, Linc is bigger and he has more experience.” I reasoned with Max.
“So much for family sticking together!” Max scowled at me.
“Oh, just like you were looking out for me when you forgot to wake me up this morning?” I asked him.
“That was different.” Max argued.
“Plus since when has this family ever stuck together.” I said. Max’s face went blank. Family was a touchy subject for us. Mum and Dad were never really home and when they were home they were still working. I had practically raised Max along with the help of the Cooper’s. Max was all the family I had and I had just upset him. I was upsetting everyone today.
“You’re right,” Max’s shoulders fell and he jogged back down the hill towards his team. Lincoln looked down at me and put a hand on my shoulder.
“I have some serious issues.” I told him shaking my head at myself.
“That wasn’t the smartest thing you could have said.” Lincoln agreed. “But you’re probably just stressed because your parents are away.”
“Maybe. But my parents are always away.”
“I know and it’s not fair on you.” Lincoln comforted me.
“I’ll talk to him later.”
“Don’t worry I’ll run it out of him,” Lincoln smiled, trying to make light of the situation.
“Good luck,” I say back. I drop my head and Lincoln sighs as he heads back down to the field.

I watched them running back and forth tossing and kicking the ball about. Max was playing with more vigour than usual. That was not a good sign. I must have really upset him. Although Max’s team played well, Lincoln’s team ended up winning. Lincoln shook hands with Max as they walked off the field. I walked down the hill to wait for them outside the change rooms. I heard cheers and taunts from both teams. Then I heard Lincoln talking to Max.
“You shouldn’t be so hard on your sister,” he said. “She does a lot for you.”
“Yeah I know,” Max mumbled. “But sometimes I just want a real family.”
“I know it’s not fair that your parents go away all the time, but Andy is your real family, and a lot of the time she’s all you’ve got. So don’t push her away.”
“Maybe you should give her some of your advice,” Max said coldly.
“I know what she said wasn’t the smartest thing in the world,”
“She didn’t have to point out the fact that our family is messed up. But I thought at least her and I stuck together.” This hit me right in the chest. Max and I did stick together. I didn’t mean what I said.
“Max, as long as I’ve known you, which is your whole life I might add, your sister has looked out for you. She had had to look after you ever since she was old enough to stay home on her own. Looking after the house and her little brother is a lot to handle.”
“Yeah but I’m not little anymore. I can look after myself. She’s only a year older than me.” Max argued.
“Well maybe you need to prove that to her, Max. When you forgot to wake her up this morning, that wasn’t a good way to start.” When did Lincoln become so wise? When did he suddenly know how I felt? Well I knew I had to thank him later.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last sort of introduction chapter. So if you're reading this hang in there!