Lights Out

Chapter Four- Lights Out

I couldn’t concentrate all through biology. I was thinking about what I said to Max and then the conversation between him and Lincoln. Then again I’m not sure anyone was paying attention to the lesson. We were watching some video about the reproduction cycle of plants. Almost the whole class had their heads on the desk. Some people were probably asleep. Even our teacher Ms Sanderson wasn’t paying attention to the class or the video. She was doing something on her laptop, probably listening to music which was what she usually did. Sometimes she would play it out loud so we could listen too. That way no one could complain. She was a pretty cool teacher usually, as long as you don’t get on her bad side.

Just when I thought the whole class might fall into a complete coma the lights flickered a couple of times and went out. Suddenly the whole class was alive. The class erupted into noise, students cheered and banged the desks and shouted at each other across the room. The darkness didn’t last long. I heard Ms Sanderson get out of her seat and walk across the room. Suddenly the room was flooded with light. She had opened the blinds on the window. A few people groaned and almost everyone covered their eyes as they got used to the bright light. I looked across at Josh who was sitting in the back corner. He leaned back in his chair and ran his hand through his hair as if he had just woken up. I guess he hadn’t been paying attention either.

The video had stopped as all the power seemed to be out. Ms Sanderson tried to call the office, but without power the phones weren’t working either.
“I’m just going across the hall to see if everyone else has lost their power too.” She informed us as she headed for the door. “Don’t make too much noise.” As soon as the door was closed the class erupted into loud chatter and everyone tried to talk over each other. I looked over at Josh and met his gaze. He rolled his eyes at the rest of the class and I smiled. I thought I almost saw a hint of a smile, but his face remained the same sort of bored expression.

“Attention class!” Our principal, Mr Reilly, entered the room followed by Ms Sanderson. The chatter stopped immediately and the whole class snapped into attention. Mr Reilly continued. “Due to a lack of electricity, that seems to be spread throughout the whole city, the school will have to close for the rest of the day.” The room was filled with shouts and cheers of joy. “You may make your way home or call your parents if necessary. Buses will be leaving to take students home in half an hour. You may be dismissed.” The principal and Ms Sanderson stepped out of the way as the class stampeded out of the room yahooing as they went. I walked out slowly smiling politely at Mr Reilly and Ms Sanderson as I went.

Students filled the halls of the science block and I started to feel claustrophobic as I was pushed and shoved aside. Someone pushed me so hard that I dropped my books and pens across the floor. I scurried about trying to pick them up from under people’s feet. I saw someone pick up my biology book and stood up to find Josh standing in front of me. He handed it to me without saying anything.
“Thanks.” I felt myself blush and put my head down trying to find it.
“No problem.” he said walking away coolly. I wanted to ask him how he was coping while his parents were away, but I suppose they were away as much as mine. His parents had gone to the same meeting as mine. I guess we kind of understood each other in that perspective.

I found Lincoln waiting for me by the school gate.
“Want to walk?” he asked.
“Where’s Max?” I asked. The courtyard was filled with people and it was hard to tell anyone apart. Lincoln stood on his tip toes which meant he could see over the top of most people.
“There,” he pointed to a dark head sticking out above the crowd. Lincoln pushed through the crowd to grab him.
“I was going to play footy with my friends,” he was telling Lincoln as he dragged him over. Max saw me and looked at me as if asking permission. He seemed to have forgiven me and forgotten what I said completely. I would really have to thank Lincoln later.
“Sure,” I sighed. “Just be home before six. If I’m not at home I’ll be at Linc’s,” I explained.
“I’ll see you later.” Max ran off in the direction of the oval.

“In my whole life I don’t think the school has ever been closed because of a blackout.” Lincoln observed. We were walking around the corner from the school.
“I know. Mr Reilly said the whole town was out-” I stopped short. “Holy crap! Linc look!” I pointed to the intersection ahead of us.
“Shit,” Lincoln swore and we started running. Two cars had collided in the middle of the intersection. One was a blue sports car whose front was bent up in an N shape. The other was a silver four wheel drive that had managed not to get too damaged except for a broken head light and some scratched paint. The crash was blocking the whole intersection. I looked at the traffic lights. They had stopped working. People were swarmed around the cars.
“What can we do?” I asked Lincoln frantically. “Do you think anyone is hurt?”
“There is enough people there,” Lincoln stopped running. He was clicking his fingers impatiently as he thought.
“The other cars!” I exclaimed suddenly. “We can run to the corners and warn the people in oncoming cars.”
“That’s an idea. I’ll take the furthest corner.” I wasn’t going to argue. I was fit, but Lincoln was much fitter.

I ran back to the corner we’d just come around. I got there just in time to stop a car from driving around the corner and right into the chaos surrounding the car crash.
“What’s going on?” asked the man in the vehicle. He was an older balding man with a sour look on his face.
“There has been a car crash,” I informed him. “The power is out and the lights have stopped working.”
“Well I need to get through.” I could tell the man wasn’t impressed.
“You’ll have to go around another way, sir. These roads are completely blocked.” I tried to be as polite as possible.
“Where are the police?” that was a good question. I hadn’t seen a police officer yet. Then it hit me. The phone lines would be dead. Someone would have had to go to the station. As if in answer to our question a police car pulled up behind the man’s car.
“Did you stop this man?” The police officer asked me as he approached us. She was about my height with dark skin and hair that was tied back in a tight bun. She had sharp features that made her look intimidating.
“Yes,” I replied. “I wanted to warn them about the crash.” I wasn’t sure if I had done the right thing, but I believed I had.
“Well that was good thinking, but the police will handle it from here.”
“Is everyone okay?” I asked her.
“Luckily no one has been seriously injured.” I nodded and headed back around the corner to find Lincoln.
“How am I supposed to get to work?” I heard the grumpy man in the car ask the police officer. I was happy to let her deal with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so this is where the action starts to begin! Thanks if you have been patient and kept reading to here. I hope you wont be disappointed :) Please leave your comment on how I'm going so far. I am not quite sure if this story is working and I'd love to know :)