I Need to Take a Vacation.

I need to take a vacation.

I sat on the pier the salty breeze felt nice. I shut my eyes and listened to the waves lapping against the shore. Someone sat beside me. I didn’t have to open my eyes to know who it was. I reached out until I found her hand. I laced our fingers and basked in the silence. Finally I cracked open an eye and peaked at her. Her eyes were shut. I smiled, the way the sun shone off her pale face was beautiful. I leaned over and pressed my lips to her cheek. A smile formed on her lips. Her eyes remained shut but she leaned into me. I wrapped my arm around her waist.

“you guys come in, lunch is ready,” Ryan said softly.

“be right there,” I answered reluctantly getting up.

I got to my feet and reached out to help her up. She go to her feet, and stood on her toes to gently press her soft lips against mine. I went to place my hands on her face but she broke the kiss. She got a silly grin on her face. I was about to ask what she was thinking about, when she shoved me. I fell into the cool water. I let myself sink as far down as I could, before swimming back to the top. I emerged and took a deep breath. My eyes settling on her .

“what the fuck Lizz!” I said trying to sound angry but failing and laughing instead.

She gave a small shrug and kicked off her shoes before diving in herself. I smiled. Her spontaneity was one of the reasons I loved her so much. Her wet hair clung to her face as she gave me one of those signature grins of hers.

“Seriously, Claudia’s going to. . .what are you doing?” Ryan asked a bemused expression on his face.

Lizz Laughed and swam back to the pier hoisting herself out. I followed suit. Ryan shook his head and retreated to the beach house. We walked back towards the house and stopped a few feet away, the breeze gently nipping at our wet skin. I reached out to push the curtains of wet hair away from her face. She gave a small sneeze.

“bless you,” I said softly.

She smiled and placed a hand over my heart. I placed mine over hers, pressing it closer hoping she could feel just how happy my heart was when she was around. She moved in to make the space between us as small as possible. She rested her head against our hands.

“I brought you guys some towels, Claudia would murder you if you got water on the new carpet.” Ryan’s soft almost monotonous voice caused us to break apart.

I took the towel from him almost wanting to yell at him for ruining the moment but gave him a small smile instead. She took the other towel and gave him a small, “thanks Ry.”

He gave a curt nod and retreated back into the small white house. I wrapped myself in the towel and watched as she dried her hair. When she was done I took her hand in mine. We basked in the sun’s warmth a while longer, her hair was almost completely dry before I led her into the house. Walking through the back door we were greeted by Claudia frosting some cupcakes. We passed the living room where Ryan was strumming his guitar. We made it into our room. She slid her fingers along the wooden dresser before reaching into one of the drawers and pulling out some clothing. I watched each movement she made, she was so fucking beautiful.

“dibs on shower,” she exclaimed making a dash for the bathroom.

I smiled and grabbed any item of clothing, not really caring if it matched. I figured they wouldn’t mind if I used the bathroom in their room, they had said “make yourself at home.” I walked down the hall into Claudia and Ryan’s room. I looked around the pale rose colored room, there was antique looking furniture, a few picture frames with cherished memories, only one had the two of them in it. The rest of the room was littered with sheet music, torn out notebook pages and books. It was the way I’d always pictured their room. I walked into the bathroom and tried to suppress my urge to laugh at the bright blue bathroom decorated in rubber ducks. I stepped into the shower and wondered if Claudia would let me have a cupcake even though I didn‘t have lunch.

I stepped out of the shower and got dressed. I then decided I had to speak to Ryan. I walked over to the Living room where he was muttering something to himself crossing out the notes he had been writing. I sat on one of the white couches.

“Ry?”

He didn’t respond for a bit. He continued to stare at the paper in front of him before finally crumpling the paper and tossing it aside. He then looked up, the frustration evident in his face. “I just can’t get it right, I can hear it in my head,” his voice sounded shaky as if he would cry at any second, “but I just can’t. it’s so fucking…ugh.”

I’ve never known how to deal with his little episodes, you‘d think knowing him for years would have given me some insight into his mind, it hasn‘t. I didn’t have the slightest idea what to say, other than those clichés of ‘you‘ll get it,’ and ‘it happens to the best of us.’ I was spared the use of my clichés, because Claudia walked into the room and set a tray of perfectly frosted cupcakes on the coffee table. She noticed the frustration radiating from her husband. She walked over until she was directly behind the arm chair he was occupying. She placed a hand on his shoulder. It was strange how such a simple gesture made me feel like I was intruding on an intimate moment. She held onto his shoulder a bit longer before letting go. He smiled at her, just like that he was better. Well not better, he was Ryan mother fucking Ross for god’s sake. The man could hold on to his displeasure with the smallest of things, for years. But Claudia had at least made him feel like some one else understood, and cared. I smiled at the peculiar love they shared. It was strange to see them when they touched or spoke in a ‘typical couple’ way, because the two rarely acted like that. They were both constantly lost in their own little worlds, but were lucky enough to have each other when they came back to reality.

“Brendon you haven’t eaten, would you like a sandwich or something?” She asked a small smile on her lips.

I shook my head, “no thank you. I’ll just have one of your yummy cupcakes.”

She nodded, “alright I’ll just leave you two, alone.”

When she exited the room I turned my attention back to my friend. He still seemed to be lost in thought. “Ryan.”

He broke out of his self induced trance and looked at me.

I worked up the nerve to ask what was on my mind. This question was the whole reason I asked if we could stay at his beach house. I know a phone call would have been simpler but I needed the answer now, I needed it in person. I didn’t want some planned out response.

“how did you know?”

His brown eyes studied me as if he could see right through me. I hated feeling so exposed but I knew I needed this to happen. I reached out and picked up one of the lavender colored cupcakes, they were so perfect. Alone however you could find tiny mistakes, yet each one still beautiful in it’s own way. Each crafted with care they seemed almost too beautiful to eat, almost. I unwrapped the cupcake and took a bite.

“She doesn’t pretend to understand, she just listens. She can put up with my shit better than I can. She makes me feel…she makes me feel the way a cool breeze feels against your skin on a hot summer day.”

I nodded, expecting him to continue. Instead he set his guitar on the carpet and reached for a cupcake.

“and?”

He gave a half-hearted shrug, “I just knew.”
I rolled my eyes that was such a Ryan answer, simple yet needing to be analyzed and discussed until it no longer held any meaning. The fact that he could be so simple yet complex, usually amused me but at this moment it made me want to shout at him. I held my tongue only because I knew he couldn’t help it, it was just who he was. Instead I stood.

“thanks.”

But he had already finished his cupcake and gone back to his guitar. I took two cupcakes off the tray and made my way back into the guest room we were staying in. I set the cupcakes on the dresser and sat on the edge of the bed while she finished fixing her hair. I watched as she sprayed hairspray on it. She then turned around and flung herself onto the bed.

“it’s so fucking comfy.”

I smiled and lied down next to her. She scooted closer and rested her head upon my chest. If only she knew how much power she had over me, how every little thing she did affected me.

“I love you so much Brenny,” she stated out of the blue. I looked at her face nuzzled in my chest, my gaze wandered over to those two perfect cupcakes on the dresser, they were beautiful almost perfect, but not. They made a beautiful pair, my eyes moved back to her head on my chest.

“I love you too babe.”

I finally understood Ryan Ross. I knew that those cupcakes while carrying some tiny almost unnoticeable flaws, seemed perfect together. At that exact moment I knew that Elizabeth was the girl I wanted to grow old with.