Underwater

The bet.

"I bet I can keep my eyes open longer underwater." he smirked at his best friend as they stood by the side of her pool.

"Why bet when you already know you're going to win?" she sighed and fanned herself with her hand. It was almost 93 degrees outside, with no breeze in the middle of July. as the noon sun beat down on the two of them.

"Because it's fun." he grinned. He waited until she wasn't paying attention before grabbing her around her middle. "Hold your breath!" he yelled and threw himself into the pool, taking her with him. Her scream was short lived as both of them hit the water. It was colder than either of them thought, and had she not been holding her breath, she would've squealed from the shock.

She opened her eyes under the water, feeling the burning sting of the chemicals her parents had put in the pool. He, of course, already had his eyes open, smiling at her innocently.

She watched him, fighting the urge to close her eyes, or breathe, for that matter. They had only been underwater for a few seconds, but the stinging had become too much.

She shook her head and prepared to swim to the surface, but suddenly he grabbed her by the arms and pressed his lips to hers.

The stinging meant nothing anymore. All she could feel was intense heat, like the sun was shining right through the water, and how he was kissing her: gently but playfully.

But the most surprising part was when she watched his eyes close. Smiling, she finally closed her eyes and pulled him closer, the bet forgotten.
♠ ♠ ♠
It could be crap...the ending probably is. I've realized that none of my one-shots have good endings. Just a little summer fic to take your minds [and mine] off of whatever snow could be falling outside your window.

Inspired by the picture :]