Status: Sporadically active with VERY long hiatuses. Sorry for any grammar mistakes!

Just Another Pretty Face in the Crowd

Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen - Not Another Notch

We won with the score of 3-1. Sidney had scored in second and Malkin sealed the deal with an empty netter in the third. Fleury had been wonderful throughout the game, only allowing an impossible rebound to get by him.

“Come on!” Sadie grabbed my hand before I could even stand up. “I’m sure he wants to see you.”

“Sadie!” I whined. I realized now that he probably did want to see me, but was I ready to see him? Was ready to take that small little leap of faith and make him see that I liked him just as much as he liked me? To be honest, it was probably plain as day and he probably already knew that I liked him. He could also be exactly like me and just think it’s his mind playing with him.

“Oh, don’t complain! You know you want to see him too!” she said as we rushed out of the suite and down the hallway. We pushed past everyone and followed many corridors to the home team's lounge room. Maureen and Vero were already there. Probably for the children’s safety, so they didn’t get run over by the careless people that were trying to leave the building.

“How did you like the goal?” Maureen winked at me. She obviously knew what that meant, too. I guess all the hockey wives and long-term girlfriends knew what a goal dedication meant.

I blushed in response, shyness taking over.

“Awww, look how cute she is!” Vero laughed at me, in fun of course. The woman looked like someone that could never be mean to anyone.

“I’ve been telling her the same thing,” Sidney’s voice interrupted us.

He must have a little time before the interviewers came down to interrogate them about the game and their performances. It actually looked like he had just threw off his pads and uniform and threw on a pair of track pants because I could see sweat still beading down his face a little. His UnderArmor shirt was soaked. But for some reason, I still found him extremely attractive.

“Hey,” I said, awkwardness taking over me. All the times I truly had a conversation with him, we were by ourselves or with people that we knew. I didn’t know anyone in the room besides Sadie. I mean only met Maureen and Vero two hours and half ago!

“How did you like the game?” Of course that was going to be his first question. I knew what he actually meant though.

“I hated it,” I answered back, playfully.

“Glad you hated it too! It wasn’t my best. That goal could have been so much better.” He knew I was being sarcastic and that’s all that mattered.

“Yea, I definitely seen better.”

It was him that broke our little bantering up first, “What are you doing afterwards?”

I just shrugged my shoulders, “I really don’t know. Probably going back to my apartment. I got work tomorrow morning.”

“Wait for me then?” he asked.

“That’s why we came down here,” I stated the obvious.

He smiled at me, “See you in a few.”

I nodded and walked him walk back into the locker room.

“You know what you two need to do?” Sadie said, interrupting my thoughts of how nice his ass looked. I looked over at her. “You guys really need to have sex.”

“I second that!” Vero said from across the room.

I stood there with my eyes wide. I wanted to counter it but my mouth just wasn’t working properly. So instead I said: “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

All the ladies just started laughing at me.

“You’re funny, Dru. Thinking you two can get away with all that flirting and eye sex,” Vero said, through her laughter.

“We weren’t having eye sex,” I mumbled staring down at the floor.

“Oh, don’t deny you were undressing him in your mind,” Sadie countered me.

I could feel the heat in my cheeks. I was sure that I was going to turn into a tomato by the end of the night if they didn't stop pestering me about this subject.

“Don’t be ashamed of it,” Maureen said, smirking at me. “I’m pretty sure we all understand why you do it.” She sent me a little wink.

“I think every girl in Pittsburgh would do the same, married or not!” Sadie said, giggling.

“At least, he was doing it back,” Vero said smirking.

“I’m pretty sure he wasn’t undress me in his mind,” I said, still in denial.

“Trust me, love, he has his eyes on you... And you only,” Vero said, sending me another wink.

*****

Thirty minutes later, Sidney walked out all showered, wearing a suit that I assume he had to wear to look professional for the job. I have to admit he cleaned up well after playing a hockey game.

“Look at you! Dressing up all fancy,” I said with a playful smirk on my face.

“All for you, babe, all for you,” he said, winking at me.

“Hey, Sid! I hate to ask this of you,” Sadie interrupted. “Can you take Dru home for me? I just got a text for my parents. They need me to come over early tomorrow morning. I know that Dru doesn’t want to go home just yet.”

My eyes widened at her. 'LIES! ALL LIES!'

“Sure, I don’t mind at all.”

And for the second time, Sidney was stuck chauffeuring me home.

“You don’t have to,” I immediately interrupted. “I can just catch the bus.”

“Not this late, you’re not!” he countered, he looped his arm around mine and escorted me out of the lounge. “Now, come on, I’m starving!”

“When aren’t you hungry?” I asked him.

“Good question,” he said.

We walked out to his all too familiar truck. He opened up the passenger door for me as he throw his hockey bag in the back seat.

“Where to?” I asked, as he jumped into the driver’s seat.

“I was just gonna go to the diner again,” he answered. “I’m a little dressed up for it but who really cares? I’m sure all the sane people are asleep anyway.”

“Okay, whatever you say,” I said, buckling up.

He pulled out of the parking lot, which was cleared of traffic now that everyone was gone and making their way home from the game. Within a couple minutes we were already in the diner’s parking lot. Their 24 hour sign lit up in neon.

He opened my door, once again. It was sweet and nice. I was one of those women that was all being treated equal but it was always nice to be treated special too.

“Come on,” he said smiling, grabbing my hand and leading me into the dinner.

The same lady was pacing casually behind the counter, “Hello, Sidney. I see you brought your girlfriend again.” Her smile said it all: ‘I told you so.

“I couldn't leave her behind,” Sidney said. “Sit wherever?”

She nodded her head, “You getting your burger or thinking about ordering something else?” Apparently he came here more than I thought.

“I actually was thinking about trying something new,” he said, walking over to the counter and stealing two menus from the stack.

He lead me to the same booth that we sat at before and past me the second menu.

“What if I’m not hungry?” I asked as I looked down at the menu.

“You don’t have to order anything but you aren’t allowed to steal from my plate,” Sidney said smirking at me.

“You think that you can stop me?” I said smirking back.

“Is that a challenge?” he said after a pause.

“Take it how you want it,” I said, continuing to smirk.

“Did you decide on what you want?” the lady asked.

“Yea, can I have a short stack of pancakes? Strawberries and whip cream on top, too.”

I giggled a little, “Gotta keep it healthy with the strawberries.”

“Shut up,” he said lightly tapping me on the shin with his foot.

The lady went back to the kitchen to place his order. I wasn’t exactly hungry, especially since we were in the suite and had plenty of food there to keep me satisfied for the rest of the night.

“So, you thought my goal could have been better, eh?”

'He did the Canadian thing again.' I just glanced up at him. My playful smirk returned. “It could have used a little more flare.”

“A little more flare. I’ll remember that for next time,” he said sending me a wink.

I looked at him a little confused, “What?”

“For your next goal, I’ll remember that.”

“My next goal?” I was still a little confused, but I was slowly realizing what he was saying. “Are you saying that that isn’t going to be the only one?”

He laughed at me. Apparently he found what I said funny. “Yes, that is exactly what I’m saying.”

“Why would you do that?” I asked.

“I keep telling you this!” he said smirking at me. "You're cute!"

“Is that your go-to answer for everything?”

“Only for you.” He was still smirking at me. “Why do you blush so much? Is it because you’re embarrassed or something?”

I shrugged, the heat felt like it was permanently staying on my face. “I’ve always been like this. I’m not one for being the center of attention.”

“Well, you might have to get used to it,” he said, winking at me.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It’s supposed to mean that I can’t keep my eyes off you,” he said simply.

We heard the door to the kitchen open and our waitress brought out his pancakes topped with strawberries and whip cream.

“Your trainer is going to kill you,” I said simply as she set down his food in front of him.

“I’ll work it off tomorrow,” he said right before he shoved a fork full of pancakes into his mouth.

“Oh will you now?”

“Yea, got afternoon practice tomorrow. We’re heading out to New York to play the Islanders the next day,” he said.

“Oh boy, the Islanders.” I didn’t know much about NHL rivalries. I knew more about AHL rivalries. I did know that they sometimes were because of the rivalries in the NHL.

He just shrugged, “I usually don’t think to hard about who we go against.”

“I know,” I simply said.

He looked at me questioningly.

“Dusty is the same way. I am too when it comes to softball,” I said smiling. I understood completely.

“I forgot that your brother plays hockey,” he said, laughing a little.

“It’s okay,” I smiled.

“So have you heard from him lately?” he asked.

“We texted back and forth a couple times but he hasn’t had time to actually call me. He’s busy with his own away games.”

“He doesn’t really know about us hanging out?” Sidney almost seemed nervous.

“He knows,” I said smiling. “He's known for a while.” I finally was the one that made Sidney’s eyes wide for a second. “What? Nervous that my brother knows that we hang out?”

He played it cool, “Just caught be surprise is all.”

I shrugged, “He’s my twin, remember. Can’t keep anything from someone that I shared the womb with. Besides, he would have been pissed if I hadn’t told him.”

“Does he mind?”

“Mind what? That we hang out? No. He just wants me to be careful,” I answered.

“Be careful? Of what? Me?”

I shrugged again, “He’s just being the overprotective brother. He’s a hockey player remember? He knows how some hockey players operate. He just doesn’t want me to one of the notches.” Finally, I said it to Sidney. It felt like a weight had lifted off my chest, just by saying to him.

Sidney just stared at me, “What do you think?”

“I don’t know what to think,” I said honestly.

“I can tell you for sure that you aren’t just another notch,” Sidney said reassuringly. 'I’m sure that’s what they all say, Mister.' “You’re different.”

“How am I 'different'?” I asked. I looked at him and then at the last strawberry on his pancake. Before he even knew what was coming, I stole it and popped it in my mouth. “Thanks.”

“What the hell, woman! I wanted that!” He pouted a little.

“Too bad, Crosby,” I said smirking. “So, how am I 'different', again?”

“You just are,” he said, poking at his pancakes a little. “You aren’t like the others. You don’t throw yourself at me... Or any of the guys, thankfully. You are just… You.”

I ducked my eyes and smiled a little at what he said. It meant something totally different when it came from him.

“You’re sweet but you’re also know how to defend yourself. You’re funny but shy at the same time. You’re just a mystery in this tiny body,” he continued.

“I’m really not that mysterious,” I said.

“Did I mention modest. You’re extremely modest. You backhand every compliment given to you.” I think his goal in life was to make me a tomato. “I don’t understand you sometimes.”

“I don’t understand you most of the time,” I said quietly.

“What are you trying to say? I thought I’ve been pretty straight forward,” he said, looking confused at me.

I just shrugged, suddenly going into my shell.

“Oh, no you don’t! What did you mean by you don’t understand me?” he continued to question me. I took me a moment to realize that he had reached across the table and grab my hand.

I just looked at him.

“What? You think that I’m playing games with you now?” he asked.

I just shrugged. My voice was broken apparently because I wanted to answer his questions but I just couldn’t.

“I’m not playing games,” he continued. “I’m definitely not playing games with you. I like you, Dru.”

I glanced up at him with wide eyes.

“I thought I made that clear,” he said smirking at my face.

“I just don’t want to be another notch,” I finally answered. I focused on his hands, which were still holding mine. It was like his thumb had its own mind as it gently stroked against the back of my hands.

“I told you. You aren’t,” he said smiling at me.

I just looked down at the table.

“We on the road for a couple days. I probably won’t be back till Friday morning. I believe I owe you a proper first date,” he proposed.

I sat there smiling softly to myself. Before I knew it, Sidney was down on a knee beside my side of the booth.

“Would you, Drusilla Thompson, please go on an official date with me?” he said dramatically.

I just sat there with my eyes wide. I really wasn't expecting him to make a big deal out of this.

“SAY YES!”

Both me and Sidney looked over and saw our waitress smiling at us, leaning over the counter. Apparently, she had been watching us for a while.

“Sorry, but you guys are just so darn cute together. Just say yes!”

I looked at her and then at Sidney. I smiled at him, “Yes, I’ll go with you on our official first date.”

Sidney’s smile widened, “Friday evening then?”

“Yes, Friday will be fine,” I smiled back at him, happy to know that I put that smile on his face. Not anyone else. That was me.

“7?”

“Okay,” I said still smiling.

“Then Friday at 7 will be our official first date,” Sidney said, smiling still.

“Don’t forget.”

“How could I?”
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys don't realize how incredibly happy I am. Granted I didn't get any comments for that last chapter but to make up for it a couple of you rec'ed it! I officially have 10 recs <3 And to make me even happier! I have 139 subscribers to this story! Which is a complete shock because I've neglected this SOOO bad! So thank you everybody <3

In other hockey news, I am a huge fan of Marc-Andre Fleury but quite frankly in the AllStar Game he sucked. Team Toews won, which I'm not upset about at all because I love Toews too.