Status: Sporadically active with VERY long hiatuses. Sorry for any grammar mistakes!

Just Another Pretty Face in the Crowd

Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One - Official Date Night

Sidney stood in my apartment doorway. It wasn’t till now that I realized how much I actually missed him. With a clear head on my shoulders, I realized just how far I had fallen for him.

“Hey,” he said, smiling at me. At the sight of his smile, all those stupid little fears that were picking at my brain disappeared.

I smiled, shyly, back at him, “Hey.”

“You look…” he paused. The hesitation gave me a momentary pause. Maybe he didn’t like the dress? Maybe he changed his mind! “Gorgeous.”

I let out a breath that I didn’t realize I was holding. “Thanks,” I said, looking down at my feet. 'I think I must steal these heels. If they don’t hurt my feet by the end of the night.'

“Ready?” he asked.

“Let me grab my coat,” I said. The heels on my feet clicked unusually loud than what I’m used to as I walked over to my closet and grabbed my usual pea coat. I quickly slipped it on and looked over at Caesar who was laying on the couch with his ears perked and tail wagging. “Behave.”

I felt his arm wrap around my waist as I locked up my apartment for the evening.

“You going to tell me our plans for this evening or is it another surprise?” I questioned as he led me toward the stairwell.

“A surprise,” he said smirking.

“Have I ever told you how much I hate surprises?” I looked up at him. It was easier for me this time around, mainly because the heels elevated me another four inches.

“You may have mentioned it once or twice,” he laughed a little.

“Then why do you insist on surprising me?” I asked, frowning a little bit.

He just shrugged, “I enjoy tormenting you.”

I just glanced up at him, “You won’t even give me a hint?”

I felt his sides vibrate as he chuckled at my question, “No. I told you before! That's considered cheating.”

“It’s only cheating, if you make it cheating,” I countered.

“It's cheating, Dru. I can not tell you where we are going!” he said, still smiling.

I pouted, “This is no fun.”

“Hey, hey, no pouting. I promise it isn’t any place bad.”

I continued to pout as we walked over to his truck. Thankfully, he parked closer to the door this time. With this dress and heels on it felt like it was ten below.

“Will you please stop pouting? What do I have to do to make you stop pouting?” he asked as he opened my door and helped me in.

“For starters, you could tell me where we’re going,” I said in brighter voice, hoping that he would fall for it.

He chuckled a little bit, “No.”

“Oh come on!” I throw my hands up in the air but he just ignored me as he closed the door. I could tell he was still laughing at me because of the humorous smile on his face and the twinkle in his eyes.

He got in and turned over the engine. Immediately the heat poured through the vents, warming me up. We were sat in silent as he drove to wherever our destination was.

I finally broke the silence, getting tired of it, “I talked to Dustin the other day.”

“Oh? Anything new?”

“Not really.” I sat there debating if I should tell him that I had been on TV or not. “He was a little concerned about what was happening between us but nothing too bad.”

“I thought he knew that were hanging out?” he questioned, a little confused.

“He saw the game. Apparently, I managed to get on TV and he was just concerned.”

“You got on TV?” He still seemed a little confused till it slowly dawned on him. “The goal... Right.”

I nodded to confirm.

“You’re not upset, are you?”

I looked over at him. He seemed a little nervous. “Why would I be upset?”

“I know you don't like all that attention.”

“Hun, it’s okay. No one has confronted me about it, surprisingly. Tony mentioned it to me a couple days after the game,” I reassured.

Sidney smiled, “Good."

I smiled back at him, “You won’t.”

“Other than that, everything all good with your brother?”

“He might be recalled up to Washington soon,” I said, smiling at thought of my brother playing in his first NHL game.

“Really?” I wasn't sure if Sidney was actually interested in hearing me talk about my brother or he was faking it to make me feel good.

“Holtby's back up hurt himself, I guess. It’s either him or Copley. Truthfully, I’d pick Dustin. Phoenix isn’t as good in the net as Dustin.”

Sidney laughed a little, “I think you’re just saying that because he’s your twin.”

I just shrugged, “Believe what you will.”

We sat in silence again. I looked at out the window trying to figure out where the hell we were going. I could tell you right now we were in stop and go traffic on the Liberty Bridge.

“You really want to know where we are going, don’t you?”

“I wonder what gave that away,” I said, sarcastically. i quickly covered it up with a smile.

“Just relax, babe.” 'What did he just say?' “You’re making me nervous and I know where the hell we’re going!”

“Did you just call me ‘babe’?” That was pretty much the only thing I could pick up, I couldn’t have told you what had said after.

He glanced over at me, “Does that bother you?” He sounded nervous again.

“No, it’s just… New.” I wasn’t used to having someone call me pet names besides ‘hun.’ Unless it was Sadie.

“Something you could get used to?” he questioned.

“Only time will tell.”

*****

What would probably take about fifteen minutes took about thirty. I was still confused when we pulled into a parking of a restaurant called Tin Angel.

“Tin Angel?” I questioned. I had never heard of it before. I never really had any reason to cross the Monongahela River.

Sidney just smiled at me before he got out and opened the truck door for me. “Ready for this?”

“I don’t exactly know what I should be ready for,” I replied. I looked at the small, white building with a tin angel on between the two doors.

“You’ll love it. Trust me, just this once,” he said, holding out his arm for me to take.

“I do trust you,” I answered almost automatically.

“Then stop worrying!”

We crossed the street and entered. He led me up some carpeted steps to where the hostess was located.

“Reservations for Thompson,” he said.

I just raised my eyebrow at him but didn't say anything. The hostess grabbed two menus and let us past the main dining room into one of their private rooms.

“Hope you don’t mind. I really don’t like the special treatment.” He answered my unspoken question.

“You don’t like the special treatment at a restaurant but you’ll risk being mobbed by showing up in the arena stands?” I questioned, amused by his logic.

“Don’t question me,” he said in a playfully stern voice. He pulled out my chair for me and then sat down himself.

“if you don’t like the special treatment, how did you manage to get this room and with this view no less?” I couldn’t help myself from staring out the window that was pretty much the fourth wall. We had an excellent view of Pittsburgh. I didn’t realize how high we were till we were sitting in the room, high above everyone else.

“I asked for it." He acted as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

“And they just gave it to you?”

“Yes,” he said, opening up his menu.

I copied him and my eyes pretty much bugged out at the sight of the prices. “Holy shit!”

“What?” He glanced at me. He could probably tell by my face what the issue was.

I answered anyway. “Sixty-seven dollars for an entree?”

“Don't get your panties in a bunch," he simply stated before turning his attention back to the menu.

I looked up at him, “It is way too much!”

“I’d go with Land and Sea." He ignored my statement. “Filet mignon and lobster tail. Or if you aren’t in to steaks they do have the Ocean Platter, which is all seafood.”

I stayed quiet.

“Why are you so worried?” he said, laughing at my reaction.

“It’s sixty-seven freaking dollars!”

“You do remember that I am the Captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins.” Sidney stated the obvious.

“That doesn’t matter!”

He looked at me, confused. He stayed quiet though.

“You may be Sidney Crosby. I could care less if you were a homeless man on the street. I would still like you.”

He stayed quiet for a moment, “You do realize that you just said you liked me, right?”

I looked at him, “Yes.”

“You’re not even remotely embarrassed or shy about it?”

“Why would I?” I asked. Normally, I would be but this time it was different. It was because he pretty took all my doubts and fears away at the diner.

He just looked at me, like he was trying figure out what changed.

“I’m trusting you,” I clarified. “You said I wasn’t just another notch in the bedpost. I’m putting faith in that and trusting you.”

I never seen him smile that wide before. It was like it was reaching for his eyes. “Good.”

“Now, you said that the Ocean Platter is all seafood, right?”

*****

Dinner was amazing. Somewhere along the line, the lights were dimmed down and the waiter lit a couple candles on our table and a few on the surrounding tables as well. It let off this very romantic feel, something that never really felt before.

Sidney had somehow managed to get a bottle of wine without too much hassle from the staff. He filled up both the wine glasses and handed one to me.

“You do realize I am still twenty, right?” I said as I took the glass from him.

“Just one,” he said. “You won’t get drunk off of just one glass. At least, I hope you don't."

“Just one,” I agreed, smiling a little bit. I wasn’t one for drinking and if Coach Nolan ever found out, she’d skin me alive.

“Have you ever even had alcohol before?”

I just looked at him and laughed, “Yes. Just because I look all sweet and innocent does mean I was when I was growing up.”

He looked over at me with a surprised look on his face, “Really now?”

I shrugged, “Grew up in the mountains. You can pretty much get away with anything up there.”

“Where exactly did you grow up? I know you said it was about thirty minutes outside of Hershey but you never said where.”

“It’s technically part of Jonestown. The locals call it Greenpoint. It’s out in the boonies where no one really goes.”

“Could you hear the banjoes?” he asked, playfully.

“Sometimes.” I laughed but my face became serious a moment or two later. "I'm just glad out I took the opportunities that were given to me."

“Why is that?”

I just shrugged, “Some of the kids I grew up with didn't. I'm not sure where they ended up but I know it couldn't have been good.”

He nodded in understanding.

“Softball was a big help too. That’s how I got into Pitt. Full scholarship between my grades and that. Dusty was scouted right after graduation. Hershey didn’t want to pass him up and just signed him a week or two later.”

“And that was that, eh?”

I nodded as I took a sip of the wine. It was sweet, yet bitter on my tongue at the same time. 'Yep, not a wine drinker.'

“With your brother playing hockey, you ever think about dating a player?” he asked, trying to sound casual.

I shrugged, “I had crushes on a few of them but nothing ever happened.”

“Why?”

“Just never happened. I had school and Dusty got overprotective of me whenever his teammates got too close,” I said simply.

“So, hypothetically, would you date one now?”

“It all depends.”

“On what?”

“Who is asking and if I like them.”

“Hypothetically, would you date me?” he asked, not looking at me but at his half full glass of wine.

“Are you asking me what I think you are asking me?” I asked a little stunned.

“Hypothetically, would you date me?” he repeated.

'Hypothetically.' “I would, yes." I took a sip of my wine. "Hypothetically.”

“You would date me, eh?”

“I don’t see why not,” I answered. “We’ve gotten to know each other. It isn’t like we’re rushing into anything. I don’t see why wouldn’t date you. Hypothetically.” I quickly added.

Before I knew it, he was kneeling in front of me.

“What are you doing?” I asked, a little confused.

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

“Do you always kneel when asking important questions?” I asked, trying to calm myself. I was all the signs and he still managed to catch me off guard.

“Only to you,” he said, barely above a whisper. “Will you, Drusilla Thompson, be my girlfriend?”

I looked at him. He looked nervous yet confident enough to kneel in front of me and ask me to be his girlfriend. He had set up this romantic dinner, from the candles to the view.

“Don’t make me regret this,” he said, nervously. His voice filling the empty silence in the room.

Before I could even comprehend what I was doing, I leaned forward and placed my lips on his. I felt his arms wrap around me, pulling me closer to him. My arms managed to snake around his neck and my fingers tangled in his hair. The kiss was heated but still had an innocent feel to it. It was the kind of kiss that would make any girl go weak in the knees and I was just grateful that I sitting.

“Please tell me that is a yes,” he said, pulling away, trying to catch his breath. He rest his forehead on mine, looking me in the eyes. Did I ever mention how much I loved his eyes?

“Yes,” I said smiling softly at him. “The answer is yes.”

He smiled at me and kissed me softly. It sent chills up and down my spine yet warmed me at the same time. He had no idea what he did to me.

“Thank God, I thought I was making a fool out of myself for a moment,” he said, laughing a little.

“Fool or not, it still would have been yes.”

He smiled again before standing up and holding out his hand, “Come on, I’m sure they’ll be kicking us out soon since it’s almost nine thirty.”

I took his hand and stood up. He held out my coat for me to slip in without much struggle. He held out his arm for me and then led me back out to the truck.

“So, I was thinking,” he started.

“Oh, no, that can’t be good.” I playfully smirked at him.

He bumped me a little bit with his hip, “No, I’m serious. I was thinking about what you said earlier.”

I looked at him confused.

“About how you didn’t care if I was a hockey player or not,” he clarified. “Did you really mean that?”

I stopped, making him stop as well, “Look at me.” His eyes met mine. “I. Don’t. Care.”

“But why?” He was truly confused.

“I’m not concerned about how famous you are or how much you make in a year. I’m not concerned about how many goals you get in a season or how many awards you receive.” I held my gaze, never wavering from his eyes. “What I’m more concerned about is if you’re happy or if you get hurt. I care about you, Sidney.”

He smiled softly, “You realize you’re the first girl that ever said to me.”

“It’s the truth.”

Before I knew what was going on, I was in his arms, bridal style. I quickly wrapped my arms around his neck, hoping that he wouldn't drop me. He playfully spun around in a circle few times. By the end, I was smiling and laughing. He was smiling and laughing just as much.

We finally made it to the truck, where he was forced to put me down so he could open the door for me. He helped me in and then went around to the driver’s side, turning over the engine.

“You’re beautiful. Especially when you smile,” he said softly as he pulled out of the parking lot. The traffic wasn’t as bad going back over the bridge, so I knew the ride would be shorter this time.

I could feel the blush creeping up on my cheeks but my smile never wavered from earlier, “You’re just saying that.”

“I always thought that,” he continued, ignoring my comment. “You’re beautiful all the time but when you smile, you just light up. Since the day I met you, seeing you smile is something I always tried do.”

“You do a very good job at it,” I answered softly.

“Good.” He looked over at me when we stopped at a red light. “I would do anything for your smile.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So there it is! The official date night :) Hope you all enjoyed.

Thank you everyone that subscribed and rec'ed <3 Love you guys, even though you are being silent readers ;)

I don't know when I'll get the next chapter out. Real life is slowly catching up with me, I'll try damnedest to keep it updated every day, if not, it'll will be every other. But bear with me! I am not giving up on this anymore!

Anyone watch the Penguins vs. Jets game?! I almost died. Thought they won it till Perron tied up the game and Sutter sealed the deal :) THANK GOD WE HAVE HORNQVIST BACK!! Now we just need Sid and Geno <3 Hopefully tonight will be a repeat against the Caps!