Status: Sporadically active with VERY long hiatuses. Sorry for any grammar mistakes!

Just Another Pretty Face in the Crowd

Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three - Sibling Day

The next morning I woke up to what sounded like a grizzly bear snoring away in my living room. At first, I was confused, but quickly remembered that Dustin was staying a couple days. His coach gave in and allowed him to miss practice the team had before their next game.

“Wake up,” I said while shaking him. “You’re going to wake everyone else up.”

Dustin just rolled over on the fold out mattress. I knew it wasn’t remotely comfortable. So did he but he refused to take my bed.

“Seriously, Dustin. Wake up,” I said. I shook him harder, hoping that he would wake up eventually.

“Go away,” he muttered into the spare pillow I gave him.

“I will throw cold water on you!” I threatened him.

“Dru, leave me sleep!” he whined. “You try taking 29 pucks and wake up at God knows the hour.”

“It’s 6:45,” I answered. “I have to take Caesar for his walk.”

“I am going back to sleep,” he complained, rolling over on his side.

“Try not to snore so much this time.” I walked back into my room to get ready. By the time I was done, Dustin was fast asleep and Caesar was laying by the door, waiting for me. “Yes, yes, I’m coming,” I said in hushed voice.

Right as I walked out of the apartment, my phone went off. Morning babe :)

I quickly typed Sidney back before running down the stairs with Caesar: Morning! :)

We were half way to the park when he replied back to me: What r ur plans 2day?

I sighed a little, thinking about what I was actually planning for the day, which wasn’t a lot. Hoping to show Dustin around the city.

I didn’t know what to show Dustin. Even though I went to school at Pitt, it didn’t actually mean I was all about the city. I rarely went anywhere unless it involved Tony, Sadie, or Sidney. Maybe I would just take him on one of the many city tours.

My phone went off again: Just u & him 2day?

I really did want to see Sidney but I hadn’t seen my brother in so long. I hated denying him anything already.

Before I could reply, he texted me again: Take a sibling day.

I stopped, causing Caesar to jerk a little. He looked at me but I kept staring at my phone, mystified. It was like he could read my mind.

Tomorrow? I texted him back. I knew that he had a couple days off again before he was supposed to travel again. The team had games against Tampa Bay and Florida back to back. Before they came home, they had to play Carolina. Unfortunately for me, Sidney was going to gone for about a week.

How can I say no to ur cute face? :)

I smiled at the text and began to walk again, “Let’s hurry up, Caes. It’s chilly out this morning.”

*****

It was well into the day when Dustin finally decided to get off the couch. I couldn’t blame him. Like he said earlier, he took 29 pucks to his body the night before. But he was one of the few crazy people in the world that wanted to be in that particular profession.

“What do we have planned for today?” he asked, walking into the kitchen. I set down a glass of orange juice in front of him.. Orange juice to him was like coffee to most people. It just woke him up and got him to function.

“I was thinking about showing you around the city... Or at least try to. I looked up some food tours. The reviews for Burgh Bits and Bites are really good,” I answered. “It’s completely up to you though.”

“I’m game!" He agreed, smiling. "You know anything with food got me hooked,”

“I figure we can explore the Northside. Burgh Bits and Bites has a tour that meets over at the Priory Hotel. From what it looks like the tour guides go over a little bit of history too,” I said.

“That’s fine.”

I smiled, “Good.”

“I’m guessing Sid is joining us?” Dustin asked, looking at me before taking a sip of his orange juice.

“No, Sidney will not be joining us. He said we should have a sibling day,” I answered, sticking my tongue out.

“Really?” Dustin set down his finished glass of orange juice. “Guess he really is Pittsburgh’s Golden Boy.” There was tone in his voice that made me think twice about his words.

I just shrugged, “I’m just glad he gets that family comes before him.”

“You were worried about that? That would make him a douche he thought other wise.” Dustin spoke up. Once again, his tone made me glance up at him.

“Well, you know how I get. I worry about everything,” I answered, in a slightly defensive tone. “Go get ready.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Dustin said, grabbing his clothes and walking into the bathroom. It only took him a few minutes to get ready. He left his dirty blonde hair messy. His hair was a few shades lighter than mine but our eyes were the exact same. He and I were the exact same personality wise, but physically we were completely opposite.

“Ready?” I asked.

He nodded his head.

“We’ll be back, okay?” I said, kneeling and petting Caesar’s head. He just licked my arm at the attention.

“How does he handle Sid?” Dustin asked as I locked my apartment.

“Surprisingly, he does really well with him,” I answered. “I was shocked but he doesn’t tense up or anything like that with Sidney.”

Dustin made an impressed face, “Really?”

“Yea. He acts the same as what he does around you,” I said.

“That’s good.”

“I know,” I said, smiling. “At least that’s one thing I don’t have to worry about.”

“What would have done if Caesar didn’t like him?” Dustin asked.

I looked at him, “I don’t know. I’m just glad Caesar took to Sidney so well.”

Dustin was quiet for a moment. “You guys dating?” It was a quiet question.

I nodded, “Happened the day before your game.”

“I do want to meet him,” Dustin said in his big brother voice. “Off the ice.”

I nodded, “Just don’t scare him off. He’s nice.”

Dustin looked at me, “You must really like him.”

“I do, Dusty,” I said softly.

We exited my apartment building and got into my Dodge Neon. I laughed as he managed to squeeze himself into the compact car.

“When are you going to get a new car?” he asked, finally sitting comfortably in the passenger seat.

“When I’m done with school. I don’t need a brand new, shiny car anyway.”

“Why are you waiting? You go to school on scholarships if I recall correctly,” he said. “You were the super genius between the two of us.”

“I know,” I said. “I just don’t need a new car right now.”

“It’s doesn’t need to be a car. I prefer a SUV or a truck, you know something big,” Dustin said, throwing out his personal suggestions.

“You are only saying that because you'r a giant and you need a big car,” I countered. “I don’t need an SUV or a truck.”

He just looked at me, “You definitely need something else besides this piece of shit.”

“Thanks, Dustin. Thanks,” I said, feeling slightly offended for my car. I drove to Priory Hotel for the Burgh Bits and Bites meeting.

“You’re welcome,” he said, sticking his tongue out at me in his own victory.

*****

After the tour, Dustin and I walked around the Northside for a little bit. We went to a couple museums and saw Randyland.

“Ready?” he asked after seeing me yawn. It was only six in the evening but I still was getting tired.

“I’m just a little tired, that’s all,” I answered. "I'll be fine."

“You want me to drive back? I know how to get to your apartment,” he said, a worried look on his face.

“I’ll be fine! Just a busy day is all,” I answered back with a tired smile.

He nodded at me, “Ready to head back then?”

I nodded at him.

He throw his arm around my shoulders and lead me back to where I parked my car in a parking garage, “You sure, you’re okay to drive. I don’t mind driving.”

“I’ll be fine,” I answered, stubbornly.

“Okay.”

Dustin was my protector. He felt that it was his natural role since he was my brother. He never failed at it either. If it was up to him, I would never be allowed to date. In high school, he made sure that happen because he threatened any guy that came close to me.

We finally reached my car and Dustin did his magic fold job to get in.

“Don’t say a word,” I mumbled as a turned over the engine.

“I wasn’t going to say anything,” he said. “Someone’s grumpy.”

I just rolled my eyes and started heading home.

“May I ask you a question?” Dustin asked, breaking the silence after a couple minutes.

I just shrugged in response.

“Are you and him, you know…” He trailed off letting me finish the sentence in my head.

“Are you really asking me that question?” I asked, momentarily staring at my brother in disbelief. “You’re my brother! Why would I tell you?”

“As your brother, I need to know who you are with and what you are doing with them,” he stated, matter-of-factly. “I just don’t want you to get hurt. I know he said a lot of wonderful things to you but I’m as trusting as you are. He’s a hockey player, I know what they do.”

“And what exactly do they do, Dustin?” I questioned, sternly. My knuckles turning white as I gripped the steering wheel in an attempt to keep myself from punching him in the eye.

He stayed quiet.

“I know what they do, Dustin! I know what you do, too. You think that I don’t know these things?” I said. “I pay attention more than you think.”

“How do you know?”

“All those damn girls in high school used to brag,” I muttered. “You're a guy and you're single. You probably can’t get enough of it.”

Dustin sighed, “Like I said, I know how hockey players are.”

“Maybe Sidney is different!" I shouted.

He stayed quiet again. I knew he was keeping his mouth shut because he didn’t want to fight with me.

I pulled into my parking spot and got out, “You need to have a little more faith in me.”

“I do have faith in you,” he said.

“Then put more in it! I know you think I need to be protected from the big, bad hockey player but maybe he wants exactly what you want. Maybe he wants to keep me safe just like you do!”

“We’ll see about that,” Dustin said.

When we got to my apartment, I grabbed Caesar’s leash, “I’m taking him out.” I left no room for argument.

He nodded in response, laying down on the fold out mattress that he didn’t bother to fold up this morning. He turned on the TV to watch whatever was on the channel.

It was really like Sidney was reading my mind because he texted me: Hope ur havin a good day

I knew that Dustin was wrong. He was just being that annoying, overprotective brother. Even the best of siblings fought sometimes and now was one of those times, apparently.

Could be better at the moment.

It took him only a moment to respond. But it wasn’t by text message. My phone started ringing.

“Hello?” I answered in a questioning voice. Sidney never called me.

“You okay?” he asked, immediately.

“Yea, I’m fine.” I was lying through my teeth but he didn't need to know that.

He must have noticed something in my voice, “No, you’re not.”

I sighed, knowing that I got caught. “Just Dusty and I are having a little disagreement,” I answered. “Nothing big, just don’t like that we’re not seeing eye to eye at the moment.”

“About what?”

I stayed silent for a moment.

“About me?” Sidney guessed correctly.

“I never said that,” I said immediately. I didn’t want him to get the wrong impression about my brother.

“He probably thinks that I’m going to be a dick and that I'm going to do something horrible to you,” he guessed correctly again.

'Damn, he's good.' I thought to myself, allowing a moment of silence before answering. “How do you know that?”

“I’m the same way with Taylor,” he answered. “I know where he’s coming from. He’s like me when my sister is dating someone, tries to be intimating.”

I laughed at him a little.

“What?” He laughed a little when he questioned me.

“I'm trying to picture you being all big and scary.” I continued to laugh.

“What? I can be scary, sometimes." He tried to defend himself. “At least you’re laughing now.”

I quieted down after a few more moments of laughing.

“Trust me, he won’t scare me off. He can believe what he wants,” Sidney said. “He’s just doing his job.”

I stayed quiet, knowing that he wasn't done quite yet.

“He's just being a big brother.” Sidney tried to explain.

“Well, it’s getting annoying,” I said.

“It's part of the job description,” he said. I could tell he was smiling by the tone of his voice.

“He wants to meet you, by the way,” I said, unsure if that would change his mood or not.

“Kind of figured,” he answered. “Do you have a problem with that?”

“No, I kind of want it to happen. I just don’t want you two to get in an argument or something,” I said, looking at Caesar who was walking casually through the park. “I want you guys to get along.”

“I can say that I’ll try my best to get along with him but it's a two way street,” Sidney answered.

“Okay,” I said.

“Please don’t worry about it. If something does happen, it will be between me and him. You shouldn’t have to worry about it,” he said, trying to get all the bothersome thoughts out of my head.

“I’ll try, that’s the best I can do,” I answered.

“Okay,” he said. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yes, tomorrow.”

“I’ll see you then, babe.”

“See you then,” I said, smiling at his pet name for me.

I hung up the phone and deposited it in my back pocket. Caesar and I had already completed our trip around the park and were heading back to my apartment. I was in a visibly better mood by the time I got back to my apartment.

“I’m back,” I said, smiling at Dustin who was still watching TV.

Dustin just nodded in my direction.

“Sidney will be over tomorrow sometime,” I said. “I’m assuming he wants to meet you too.”

“That’s a new one,” Dustin said, looking at me.

“Maybe he’s different,” I answered back before heading to my bedroom.

“We’ll see!” Dusty shouted before I could close my door.

Don’t worry, my ass.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all that subscribed and rec'ed <3

Just letting you all know, all the sights that have been in the story so far I have literally taken the time to research about. I never even heard of Burgh Bits and Bites till I looked at attractions for Pittsburgh. Same with the Tin Angel a couple chapters ago.

Please comment/subscribe/rec <3 I love it when you guys do that!