Status: Sporadically active with VERY long hiatuses. Sorry for any grammar mistakes!

Just Another Pretty Face in the Crowd

Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four - Everything Will Be Okay

I had barely got any sleep. My mind was racing about what would happen between my brother and Sidney. I believed Sidney when he said that he would try his hardest to get a long with my brother but I knew that could only go so far.

“Sis, you need to calm down,” Dustin said as he sat on the couch. He was watching me pace around the room.

“I can’t,” I mumbled, starting to chew on my nails.

I heard Caesar whine a little as he laid next to Dustin. I was stressing, which was causing him to stress out. I knew if I didn’t stop soon, he would start to panic. He fed off my emotions.

“He’ll be here soon,” Dustin said, watching whatever was on the TV. It was only background noise for me.

“It’s not him I’m worried about, Dustin,” I said, glaring at him slightly.

“What? You think I’m going to hurt him or something?” Dustin asked.

I only shook my head in reply. I continued to pace the living room and worry about what the day’s events would lead to.

“You really think I’m that mean?” Dustin asked.

I didn’t said anything back. For everything he said yesterday, I knew he didn’t particularly like that I was dating Sidney. He didn’t really like when I dated any guy for that matter.

“Dru, if you are happy, I won't do anything stupid,” Dustin said. His voice mimicked sincerity.

“How am I supposed to believe that?” I answered, glancing at him for a second. "Yesterday you thought he was the worst thing for me."

“You need to stop worrying and start trusting me,” he said. I could see out of my peripheral that his attention was fully on me now.

“I will stop worrying when I know that you two won’t hate each other,” I answered quietly.

Dustin just scuffed, “You ask for too much sometimes.”

I stopped in my tracks and looked him dead in the eye, “How is that asking too much? I don’t want my boyfriend and my brother constantly at each other’s throats!”

Dustin and I glared at each other for a few minutes, tension was emanating from us.

It only stopped when a knock at the door broke my concentration. Caesar barked at the door and jumped off the couch. He trotted over and sniffed the crack. His guard dog persona vanished and he sat there with his tongue hanging out.

“Coming,” I said loud enough for who I assumed was Sidney on the other side of the door.

I opened it up and smiled wide when I saw him standing there with his own smile. He didn’t seem worried at all, he seemed cool as a cucumber. I saw his smile falter a little and I knew he could sense it. He could feel that I wasn’t okay at the moment.

“You are such a worry wart,” he said, softly.

“I know,” I replied back.

He pulled me into a comforting hug, clearly not worrying if Dustin could see us or not. If he didn’t care, I didn’t care either. I melted into it, hugging him back. I needed this after all the worrying I had done over night and this morning. You never realize how much you need or want something till it lands right in front of you.

The moment was broken when Caesar had enough of not getting any attention. He pushed his way between our legs and sat down between us, staring up at Sidney.

“You act like you don’t get any love,” I said, looking down at him.

Sidney just smiled at me and then knelt down, petting him and getting all that much needed attention.

“What are the plans today?” Dustin asked. He was now standing up, turning the TV off. He was clearly ready to get this over with. 'Here comes the worry again.'

“I was thinking about going to the Strip,” Sidney said, casually. “It has the best food in Pittsburgh.”

“They couldn’t come up with a better name?” Dustin asked, wrinkling his nose a little. “Sounds like it belongs in Vegas.”

“Vegas doesn’t hold a candle to the food that’s there though,” Sidney said, smiling. “Trust me, I’d eat there everyday if my trainer and coach would allow it.”

"You'd also eat at the diner all day if you could," I said, smirking up at him playfully.

Dustin didn’t say anything. I could tell that he was rolling his eyes. He pushed past me and Sidney and before going down the stairs.

“Well..." Sidney started before looking down at me. "I think this is a good start.”

I rolled my eyes at his calm sarcasm before I put on my peacoat. I didn’t even bother buttoning it since it was supposed to be warmer today, spring was slowly approaching. And with that thought, so were playoffs.

“Don’t worry, Dru,” he said, lightly gripping my biceps. “Everything will be okay.”

I looked up at him. I know he saw the worry in my eyes. “Promise?”

He nodded before kissed me lightly on the lips. I don’t think I could ever get used to the feeling of electricity rushing through my body when he kissed me.

“I promise,” he answered with a soft smile on my lips.

I smiled at him, feeling completely renewed about the whole situation. If Dustin was going to be a douche, he can be a douche. I wasn’t going to allow him to ruin whatever me and Sidney had just because he didn’t like him.

“Come on,” he said, putting a hand on the small of my back. “He won’t appreciate us taking so long.”

I nodded and allowed him to guide me to the stairwell. He laced his fingers in mine as we walked down the stairs.

When got down to the lobby, I saw Dustin was standing by the stairwell door waiting for us, “Would you hurry up?”

“Just take a chill pill?” I said, looking at him.

Dustin stiffened a little at my remark and I almost apologized. The only thing that stopped me from doing so was Sidney’s hand squeezing mine gently. It was like he was giving me the confidence and strength I needed to get through this ordeal.

“I’ll drive,” Sidney said, breaking up the tension between me and my brother.

We walked out of my apartment building, towards Sidney’s truck. He parked close to my car this time. Dustin was behind us, I could practically feel his glare on my back.

'Everything will be okay.' I kept repeating Sidney’s words in my head. I could still feel his hand in mine. I looked up at him. I could feel the confidence radiating off him, like he had no care in the world. I wished I could steal that away from him.

He glanced down at me, smiling, and gently squeezed my hand. It was like he was communicating with me silently, I could hear his words in my head: 'Everything will be okay.' I felt the words calm me, taking over my mind, just washing away all the worry.

When we reached the truck, he opened the passenger door for me. He didn’t even care that Dustin was joining us. He hadn’t changed a single thing, from his clothes to his little habits. He was still the same Sidney that I had gotten used to over the past couple weeks.

Dustin was silent while Sidney was walking around the truck to the driver’s side. He seemed to be taking his time just in case me and Dustin went at it.

“Ready for the best food in your entire life?” Sidney asked.

“Doubt it’s the best food I’ve ever had,” Dustin said, coolly. “Nothing beats my mom’s homemade Chicken Alfredo.”

I glanced at Sidney, “Ditto.”

Sidney just huffed, “Chicken Alfredo has nothing on Primanti Bros sandwiches.”

I had heard of the Primanti Bros chain. Supposedly, they had amazing sandwiches, that came topped with french fries and cole slaw. I never had the chance to stop by, even though they had ten or eleven restaurants in and around Pittsburgh.

Sidney glanced at me, “Please tell me you have had one of their sandwiches.”

I just shook my had, “Can’t say I have.”

“You have got to be kidding me! Change of plans, folks, we are stopping at Primanti’s first. You have never lived until you have tried one of their sandwiches. Their Smallman St. fries are pretty good too.”

“Whatever you say,” I said, buckling up as he pulled onto O’Hara St. He turned right onto Bigelow Blvd.

Dustin just sighed, irritated in the back seat. I could tell he was just putting on a show and I hoped that Sidney knew that, too.

As we drove the couple miles to the Strip, I could feel Sidney’s hand in mine again. I instantly calmed as he ran his thumb over mine.

“Are we there yet?” Dustin kept being a pest.

I just ignored him as Sidney looked through his rear view at him. He didn’t say anything and just returned his attention back to the road.

Dustin just huffed in annoyance.

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at his immaturity.

“I saw that,” he said simply.

“Good.”

*****

I had to admit that Primanti’s sandwiches definitely put any other sandwich I ever had to shame, “They’re alright.”

“Just alright!” Sidney shouted at me. “Are you seriously saying you had something better than this?”

I smiled, “I haven’t had any sandwich that is better than this but my mom’s Chicken Alfredo is definitely the best meal I have ever had.”

“You’re just saying that because she’s your mother,” he said, shaking his head.

“You wouldn’t be saying that when you try,” I said, laughing at him.

“Who says he’ll ever get to the house?” Dustin said, jumping into the conversation.

'Of course, he has to put in his two cents.' I just looked at him with a frown on my face. “Did you just say that?”

“Yes, I did,” Dustin said.

“Wow, you're an asshole.” I simply said. “Let me out.”

I needed to get away from the table. Unfortunately, he was the only thing that was keeping me in the booth. He had jumped on the chance to separate me and Sidney. While Sidney was still ordering his sandwich, Dustin had sat down in the seat that was supposed to be for Sidney.

“Why?” Dustin asked.

I glared at him, “Just let me out.”

He huffed and got up. I scooted out and made a bee line for the restrooms. I needed to escape him. He always told me that if I was happy, he wouldn't ruin it for me. Couldn’t he see that I was happy? I was more than happy.

I paced back and forth in the stall. I tried to hang onto Sidney’s words but it was getting difficult with Dustin’s harsh words sucker punching me.

I laid my head against the cool metal of the stall. Dustin usually wasn’t so mean and cruel towards me or someone I was with. He wasn’t so blunt. He normally just ignored them or tried to keep my attention. This was a whole new side, a whole new method.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I smiled a little when I saw Sidney’s name pop up across the top of the screen: Everything will be okay.

I quickly looked at the time and saw it had been almost five minutes since I had left the table, “Might as well face the music.”

I walked back to the table and saw the two men talking to each other. They both were mimicking each other’s position. Their arms crossed over their chest, leaning back with their legs stretched out.

Dustin wasn’t paying attention enough to notice me getting closer and Sidney couldn’t see me. The closer I got, the easier it got to hear their conversation.

“Like I said-” It was Dustin’s voice.

“Yea, I heard you and I got it,” Sidney cut him off. He clearly wasn’t having it.

“Seriously-”

“I am serious. I heard you, I got the message,” Sidney continued to cut him off. Before Dustin could ever answer. “I would never hurt your sister.”

Dustin stayed quiet.

“You should pay more attention." Sidney started out. "She wants nothing more than for you to be happy for her. She has been worrying her head off. You’re just putting more fuel on the fire. You’re supposed to be her brother,” Sidney stated, leaning forward now. Somehow he managed to make himself bigger.

'I can see how someone would think that he was scary.'

I coughed a little and made them aware of my presence.

Dustin jumped a little before he stood up when he realized that it was me. I scooted into the booth and gave Sidney a small smile.

“What do you plan on doing for the rest of the day?” I asked, like I hadn’t heard the last part of their conversation.

“I was thinking about exploring Downtown. Maybe hit Point State Park for a walk,” Sidney said, smiling at me. If I hadn’t heard the conversation, I would have never guessed that he was as good an actor as he was.

I smiled at him and looked at Dustin. He had a scowl on his face and that was the only thing that hadn’t changed since I escaped to the bathroom. “You good with that idea?”

“Does it matter if I do or not?” he asked before getting up and walking out the door.

I just looked at Sidney, “What was that about?”

“I think you know,” he answered. “You were standing there the whole conversation.”

“I only got there right before you became all big and bad,” I said, winking at him.

“I thought I wasn't scary,” Sidney smirked, returning the wink.

“I never said you were scary. I just said you were all big and bad,” I clarified.

“How can someone be big and bad but not scary?” he asked as we walked out the door and toward the truck.

“I guess it’s because I can’t picture you being scary.” I said, smiling at him. “Even on the ice, you’re not that scary. You’re big, obviously, but you’re not scary. Your talent and skills scares people more than you yourself.”

“Gee thanks,” he said, drily.

“You’re welcome,” I answered in a gleeful tone.

“Are we going to head out or what?” Dustin asked, annoyed.

Sidney unlocked the truck allowing him to slip in the backseat.

“You do know what I said earlier was the truth, right?” he asked, looking me dead in the eye. I was confused a little and I guess he saw that on my face. “The part where I said I would never hurt you.”

I just stood there, letting him elaborate.

“I wasn’t just saying that to get your brother off my back. I really did mean that,” he said. His voice left no doubt in my mind that he was completely serious with me.

I smiled up at him. I quickly stood on my tiptoes and caught him off guard with a kiss. I knew that he was serious when he said it I figured he wasn’t the type of guy to lie about something like that but it was always nice to hear it.

“Will you two please hurry up?” Dustin said, annoyance could still be heard in his voice.

Sidney smiled down at me and then opened the truck door, allowing me in.

“God, you two are worse than Mom and Dad.” Dustin mumbled as Sidney walked around the truck to get to the driver’s side.

I just looked at my brother over my shoulder, “He will meet them, by the way.”

He nodded his head once at me, “I know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to all the people that subscribed and to Thatmom for commenting again. <3

I'm just going to ignore the game that just happened this afternoon... Yea...

Subscribe/rec/comment <3 Love you guys!