Status: Welcome To Yonder where we aim for regular weekly updates EVERY Friday and/or Monday (fingers crossed).

To Yonder

Chapter Ten

Middle Of Nowhere
“You didn’t have to do it but you did it to say
That you didn’t have to do it but you would anyway”
-Hot Hot Heat

Tanek was beginning to lose sight of what was important.

Not only that, Tanek was sure he’d died and been reincarnated into something horrible… a woman. If anyone were to witness what he’d done last night, it would all be over for him. Hell, if word of this ever got to his crew, Tanek would ask them to throw him overboard. Honestly, they would be doing him a favor.

“Hey Capt’n!” Tanek looked over his shoulder to see one of his bravest, most loyal men. He’d been here long before Tanek had ever had a thought about piracy. This was the man who remained by Tanek’s side as a mere boy becoming a man. For as long as Tanek could remember, Toothy had been standing right behind him propelling him forward.

“Why hello there Toothy. How are you today?” The burly man grinned his signature, toothless smile at him. Toothy always had a soft spot for Tanek, especially when the Captain had initially been brought as a young boy. There was something so raw and pure about him. The boy named Tanek had been untainted by this cruel world.

“Been doin’ good. And how bout ye sir?”

Tanek looked at the man he respected immensely. Toothy wasn’t his father, but he was pretty damn close. Even when Tanek had lost his father, Toothy was there ready to step in and teach him things one should know about the world. Honestly, Toothy had been his Father way before his biological one had ended up in Davy Jones’ locker.

Tanek hated to admit it, but dying was probably the best thing his Father ever did for him. His premature “kicking-of-the-bucket” opened opportunities for Tanek. When he had been displaced from his home as a boy, Tanek’s Father had managed to steal everything from him. With his untimely death, Tanek managed to salvage as much semblance of normalcy a young man possibly could while keeping the company of pirates.

He thought about his parents. They were like fire and ice, ying and yang, a pirate and a princess. Tanek’s mother had always been beautiful, inside and out… Tanek’s father though. He was the very definition of a brute. With a charming personality and devilishly good looks, he was dangerous. He had been the type of man who commanded the attention of a room and exuded so much confidence it was suffocating. Women flocked to him and men wanted to be his best friend. Tanek scoffed. Some role model…

Tanek’s father had always been a mystery… an enigma. Predictably, Tanek was the splitting image of his Father, a blessing and a curse. The women would be falling all over Tanek… well, if there were any women on the ship. Luckily for him, there weren’t. Most of the men just thought of Tanek as their glorified pretty boy. Like his Father, he outwardly appeared to be a man of the people – Tanek only hoped that his insides weren’t so black.

“Working hard,” Tanek said running a hand through his hair, “Everything has been alright though.”

If anyone were to know the difficulties of running a ship of pirates it would be Toothy. He’d personally witnessed Tanek’s Father lead the most fearless of men and helped teach Tanek much of what he now knew today. Tanek was like Toothy’s own son. And Tanek in return had much gratitude for the man for while Tanek’s Father taught his lessons about getting what you want, Toothy showed the boy about what it really meant to be a leader and a man.

Tanek thought back to his first days on the ship. He had been painfully out of place and rather meek. He hadn’t belonged at all – not even in the slightest no matter how red in the face his Father grew arguing that piracy was in Tanek’s blood. Tanek’s unexpected relocation was like capturing a bird and sticking it in a change – well, maybe it had actually been the opposite… One’s idea of liberation could ignite fierce debate.

Toothy… words couldn’t describe how Tanek felt about him, and there was no physical representation of what Tanek owed him. Not even all the riches in the world could possibly suffice.

Most of the men were outraged when Tanek came to power. He hadn’t been raised a pirate like many of them, the strange little boy had manners and class. Regardless, Toothy had believed in him all along. Being a leader was in Tanek’s blood. When others who had been around long before thought it strange to refer to Tanek as their captain, Toothy swelled with pride. In all of Toothy’s years he had not known a man so worthy.

Tanek was and wasn’t his Father’s child all at once.

Toothy normally had a very tough exterior, but was a softy at heart. He’d seen how unforgiving the world could be and made a vow to live a life of purpose… a life of freedom. He was wiser beyond what he looked and he probably knew Tanek better than anyone on this ship, “Now tell me the truth boy. How are ye really?”

Tanek sighed and thought once more about the Princess, a thought that hadn’t entered his mind in quite some time. Then he took one long look at Toothy. Instantly, big, red x’s began to flash, burning searing images into Tanek’s mind. He couldn’t concentrate on anything as the anxiety began to swell within him. With one last look at Toothy, Tanek had been completely repurposed – what had he been doing lazing on deck and play googley eyes with the moon? For the first time in a long time, Tanek was seeing through clear eyes.
Then the anxiety began to set in. Just because the royal ships hadn’t shot them down yet didn’t mean it wasn’t something he should be concerned about. The Princess was still missing and the royal families were probably on a manhunt for pirate heads.

Suddenly, Tanek’s priorities had been reprioritized. War was brewing on the horizon.

Toothy… Life… Love… The promise of tomorrow and a tomorrow after that…

This was what Tanek needed to fight for.

---

More often than not, Alistair was bored – bored being a complete understatement.

“I will be heading out with the next round of men. This has gotten absolutely and utterly ridiculous.” The boy, he was a hardly a man and yet so ready to challenge the world face front. He sounded incredibly regal and well beyond his years.

Alistair had always been a stubborn child. He liked doing things his own way, at his own pace. More often than not he could be found perched high up on his seat in the throne room looking undeniably divine and perfectly bored.

Atop the throne was when the young Prince was really left alone with his own thoughts – left too long and he always came up with some novel idea that set the guards on high alert. He had made up his mind and there was no convincing him otherwise. This time, Alistair decided it was his destiny to go out and rescue his sister. It was unknown if it were by his own decree or the grace of God that this task had been bestowed upon him. Regardless, there was no stopping Alistair and nobody knew that better than his own Father.

“Your Mother will be absolutely furious with me,” The graying man said nodding his head in disapproval grimacing with the thought, “With you gone and your sister missing who shall protect your beloved Father?” His Father then gave a rather cheeky smile as if to silently say that if word of his prior comment ever got back to his wife he could simply play it off as a joke. Then he continued, “I shall let you. I remember when I was a young man, dying to taste adventure. Alistair, you be careful, you hear?”

“Yes Father.”

“No, I mean it. Your Mother will surely have my head for it. Your sister too, the moment she lays eyes on you she will surely blame me. Everyone will be out to get your poor, aging Father. Everyone is always so quick to make me the bad guy. Honestly, its impossible to do anything around here without your Mother’s scrutiny…”

The King trailed off. Alistair knew it was just his way to express worry. Alistair was his only son and the youngest. With Alessia currently missing his Mother was losing her nerves and his Father found his own private way of coping.

“What are a few pirates here and there? It will be fine,” Alistair smiled reassuringly in an effort to lighten the mood. Truth was, Alistair couldn’t wait to be beyond the castle walls. It was about time his training be put to the test. Being the top of his class meant absolutely nothing if he couldn’t use his knowledge and skill.

That and he really couldn’t wait to set his eyes on a living, breathing pirate.

“Now boy, do not be foolish,” His Father shook his head disagreeing with his son’s rashness, “Some of those pirates out there are violently ruthless. They will take everything you have and then go after everyone you have ever known. It is not something to be taken lightly. Everyone knows that except for a fool and my son is no fool.”

His Father’s expression turned grave, “Last I heard that menace Tanek was spotted docking on the northern coast terrorizing the locals. If you are to cross paths you stay firm, but do not act brainlessly. Do not tempt him. He is cold hearted and unbelievably unpredictable, dangerous. Do you understand?”

“Yes Father.”

“And if anything is to go wrong, I do not care how close you are to her, or how far away from here, you turn that ship around and come right back here.”

“Yes Father.”

The worry lines had smoothed on the King’s face. The love and pride he felt for his son was unimaginable and would not be tarnished by the thought of some miscreant pirate who never thought about anyone other than himself.

“And do not be a hero. Being a hero is one of the most ignorant things you could possibly do.”

“Yes Father.”

“And you will have to wash daily, and change your knickers. Think of your Mother and how disappointed she would be if you were not kept clean.”

“Yes Father.”

“And food! My boy, you cannot forget to eat! If you are feeling starved do not be afraid to come back for a meal – imagine if you were to return boney? Your Mother would have me in the guillotine before I could even plead my case.”

“Yes Father.”

“And do not worry. I will let all the men aware of the situation so you shall not feel embarrassed if you need to come home at any point. I actually insist.”

“Yes Father.”

Alistair studied his Father. He was on a roll and Alistair was in no position to intercept. Alistair laughed to himself amused. It was better to let his Father continue on instead of intercepting – surely the King would finish quicker that way.

As long as Alistair had his Father’s support he was sure he could achieve anything. The King was the best Father anyone could ask for, Alistair was so sure. Everything he did was for the love his people and his family. This was the type of man Alistair aspired to be one day especially since one day he would sit in the very chair his Father resided in and wear the same exact crown perched on his head just like the generations before and those to come.

“And…” Alistair heard his Father’s voice slowly being murmurs in the distance. At this point, Alistair would virtually agree to anything that came out of his Father’s mouth. His thoughts drifted to Alessia. He was ready to find his sister and nobody was going to stop him.

Nobody, not even some rebel pirate who thought he was above the royals and larger than life – it was about time somebody put Tanek in his place. Alistair planned on being that person. Alistair smiled wickedly, Tanek better start praying especially if he had anything to do with his sister’s mysterious disappearance. No mercy. The manhunt was on.

Suddenly, Alistair wasn’t so bored. War was brewing on the horizon.

Alessia… Life… Love… The promise of tomorrow and a tomorrow after that…

This was what Alistar needed to fight for.
----------------------------------------
♠ ♠ ♠
Dedicated to Poppette

No Alessia?
Meet Alistair -- The Pococurante Prince.
(Not to show favoritism or anything, but he's my favorite)
Double digits! Double digits!
This is like the longest chapter ever, and did you see what I did there? With that parallelism flow? The King v. Toothy, fight! Fight! Fight!

Do I take too long to update (don't answer that)? Pass the time, read:
Borrowed
(There's romance and comedy. All together now, ROMCOM!)