Status: Welcome To Yonder where we aim for regular weekly updates EVERY Friday and/or Monday (fingers crossed).

To Yonder

Chapter Fifteen

Wonderwall
“And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I would like to say to you
But I don’t know how”
- Oasis

“You…”

“Me…?” Nelly said meekly. The short, one syllable word came out as a little, high-pitched squeak.

“Who are you really?

“The Princess’… god bless her beautiful soul… handmaid,” Nelly decided telling the truth would ultimately get her further – there was just something so gratifying about being truthful. Lies had never come easy for Nelly… well, as easy as they apparently did for Alessia who possessed a likeness to a spider weaving a web.

Speaking of the devil, Alessia was probably in the other room spewing out lies like a volcano. Knowing Alessia, Nelly was doomed. Nelly wouldn’t be surprised if Alessia was shooting out lies and semi-truths faster than she could think of them. And Tanek? He probably didn’t believe a single word leaving her mouth.

Where would that leave Alessia? Nelly didn’t know but prayed for her safety – one day the Princess would get tangled in her own web.

“And the Princess?”

“I cannot say,” Nelly gulped nervously, “As soon as we were raided she took off. Perhaps she stowed away with some of the crew?” So much for stopping with the lies… they continued to uncontrollably pour out of Nelly. What had become of her?

It was this blasted ship! Everything, it was all getting to her, breaking down her moral boundaries and leaving a trail of corruption. How long would it be until she couldn’t recognize herself anymore?

Nelly looked at Will hoping he wasn’t seeing right through her. With her new temperament, she didn’t know what she looked like. Was there anything left to see?

Will had been pacing back and forth, but came to a halt and turned. Will had killer instinct. He had always had a strong premonition and he most definitely knew when someone was being dishonest. But now… he couldn’t tell. This woman, was he being crossed?

It had been a long time since he had last seen a woman in the flesh; it was like a whole other species that he knew nothing about. Growing up without a Mother hadn’t helped either. His entire life woman had abandoned him and the men always seemed to show him the way. Even from a young age Will knew woman were deceitful and full of scorn, yet, he couldn’t deny that slight sliver of hope he held that one day there would be a woman who was soft… and warm… and…

And then his face grew hard. What would Tanek do?

Will reasoned that her story could be plausible. Many of the men serving the royal family on the ship had managed to get away. As soon as the pirates had raided, they all scurried like the rats they were and ran to find lifeboats and secure what they could. He had been there and seen it firsthand. Surely they would have protected the Princess if she happened to be on the ship. Blasted! Will knew just as well as Tanek or even the woman in front of him that the Princess was on that ship, it was just a matter of where…

He couldn’t be troubled.

But then a soft thud started in the back of his head begging him to pursue the lead his premonition had created.

Will observed the girl in front of him. Now that she wasn’t impersonating a man he could understand her delicate features. How had he not noticed sooner? Such a meek looking woman would make a horrible man. Well, any woman would make a horrible man as far as Will was concerned – they had too many feelings.

This one was no exception.

“So enlighten me, who is the other one?”

“The other who?” Nelly asked trying to buy some more time knowing exactly whom he was referring to.

“Alec.”

Nelly felt faint. What had Alessia gotten them into? They should have jumped at the chance of leaving with Alistair. With the Prince’s arrival it was too good to be true and now that they had let the opportunity slip through their fingers – Nelly wasn’t sure if they’d ever get a second chance. Instead, Nelly listened to Alessia and was now under intense surveillance. None of this made sense to her. Why would anyone choose this over a castle? Nelly knew the answer though. She could only blame one person… Tanek.

Tanek, the crazy pirate king who was after them with every fiber of his being. Nelly didn’t really know what to think of it. Sure he was handsome, but that type of beauty was only skin deep. Nelly didn’t understand him, nor did she really want to. It was his stupid blue eyes that got her into the mess, Nelly was absolutely certain. Her Mother had always told her not to associate with strange men. Tanek was a strange man…. But then again, Will had to be the strangest of them all and here he was right in front of her.

Nelly looked at Will. Sure, he had nice hair and an easy smile, but that didn’t mean she particularly liked him. He also had a weird personality and seemed overly friendly at times. Being around Will and Tanek made her feel quite uneasy. Maybe if she had seen them walking down the street she would feel differently about them.

What was she saying? At the end of the day they were still pirates.

“So?” Will was becoming impatient. He was rather hungry and bored of playing interrogator. He didn’t see this woman, Danielle, as any potential threat. His presence scared her so much she was literally shaking in her spot. Will would have laughed if he thought she wouldn’t take it personally. Will had her all figured out though, she was fragile, and he would just tell Tanek that they had nothing to worry about with this one – he pushed the nagging feeling aside, she was safe enough to trust. His gut guaranteed him that.

He could almost laugh. Sure, maybe Will was a little weary of women, but the one in front of him, she looked nothing like the ones he knew.

That and the fact that he was certain she knew where exactly the Princess was and sooner or later she would crack under all the pressure. She may be tough now, but give it a little bit and he was certain she would bend to his wills.

… Besides, if anything, Will still had his handy intuition. Surely it wouldn’t fail him now… and to make certain, he would just have to keep a watchful eye.

Will thought about his conversation he had once had with Alec about capturing any woman of his choosing. Will looked at the woman in front of him. She was rather pretty when she wasn’t pretending to be a man. It was also quite some time since he had last had any female companionship. Sometimes, Tanek just didn’t cut it.

“Danielle…”

“Call me Nelly please,” The first words that weren’t laced with terror to leave Nelly’s mouth.

“Well, Nelly,” Will tested the name. He liked how it felt rolling of his tongue and passing through his lips, “You know what I could do to you, right…?”

Nelly’s huge eyes seemed to grow in size. Will was laughing hysterically inside. At this point he was merely having a laugh, and Nelly seemed to be stuck at the butt of his joke. He decided he would lead her on for a little bit before he revealed the truth. Will decided that this would suffice as a punishment. Maybe she’d even spill about the Princess’ whereabouts in the meantime.

“B-B-But…” Nelly stuttered trying to form a coherent though and process it into words. If only she should have such luck.

A man could only hope.

Will smirked devilishly stand upright from the support beam he had been leaning against casually with his arms crossed. He walked closer to Nelly. Each step seemed like an eternity and a half to her. When he was just close enough he bent down to be eye level with her. Nelly could his breath on her face and was literally about to pass out any moment.

Will could see what he was doing the woman and loved it. Slowly he raised a finger and put is against her soft lips, “Shhh.” He would have to report back to Alec… or whoever they were. Will was certain he could have any woman of his choosing. He had a devious twinkle in his eyes and smiled.

Nelly thought she was about to die when she heard Will speak. Perhaps her ears had tricked her and she heard something entirely different, “I’ve decided I like you too much to let you go. I suppose I could keep you around for a little bit.”

----

“You…”

“Me…” Alessia said challengingly looking right at Tanek. He wasn’t that scary before and he hadn’t suddenly become scary either. Tanek was just a man, northing more and nothing less.

When Alessia had first entered the room and seen Tanek standing by himself waiting, she had been incredibly nervous. Not knowing what he could possibly do frightened Alessia, but then she realized she knew exactly what he wanted. Tanek was in search of a princess he may never find. With that realization, Alessia could feel the confidence radiating throughout her body. She had the power, she always would.

Alessandria, Princess of Arcadia, had the capability to bring Tanek, the Pirate King, to his knees.

“Who do you think you are?”

Alessia felt like an absolute fool for ever feeling intimidated by Tanek. When actually thought about, Alessia had always had the upper hand in this situation. If Tanek did happen to find out Alessia was the Princess what was he worst he could do? Hold her for ransom? She could probably strike him a deal if things were to come to that. Leadership was ingrained in her and royalty pumped through her veins.

“I know exactly who I am. Why?” Alessia smirked looking away for a second trying to hide the pure delight in her eyes. She was probably only making Tanek mad, which she found to be quite invigorating, “Do you know who you are?”

“You know where the Princess is, I know you do,” Tanek accused tired of going through the same scenarios over and over again, “I am not letting you leave this room until you tell me. I will keep you in here by force for the rest of eternity if I have to.”

“The Princess, what a touchy subject…” Alessia could see the agitation radiate from his body language. He could be infuriating and so could she, “Why do you need her?”

“Just tell me where she is,” Tanek demanded.

“Who knows where she is? She may be closer than you think,” Alessia smirked wryly having way too much fun.

Tanek was getting annoyed. He clenched his hands into fists several times trying to calm himself down. A hand flew through his hair roughly. Not once had he ever let anyone talk to him like this, especially not some woman. How had it gotten to this? He thought about Will, hopefully he was having better luck.

Then he took it back. If Will was having an easier time than Tanek, Tanek must be doing something wrong and the Captain was never wrong.

“I will…”

Alessia knew all his threats were empty, “I do not know much about you, but I know you are a gentleman. You would not dare threaten a woman. You are way too proper. I can tell you have been trained in the matters of etiquette. It is so entrenched in you… the way you speak… the way you present yourself… You are looking for a Princess yet you yourself speak like you come straight from the palace.”

Tanek was confused. The woman before him didn’t know anything about him. His brow furrowed. He would be damned if she thought she knew a single thing about him and his personal life, “You are not from around here. This ship? These people? All of this, it is not you. It is not where you are from…”

Alessia technically didn’t know that for sure, but decided to take a blind stab. Something in her gut told her that Tanek wasn’t really raised as a pirate, but somehow ended up here by some twisted turn of events.

She had a feeling the two of them were cut from the exact same cloth.

Tanek was getting nervous for some unexplainable reason. He cursed the gods. Someone up there was doing this purposely. They were probably having a laugh making him squirm. Tanek didn’t know what to say. She was right… well, mostly. He watched as she stood up and walked to him. He was frozen, uncomfortable, and his hands felt clammy.

Standing face-to-face Tanek realized how incredibly beautiful the woman in front of him was. He had been fond of Alec, but the person in front of Tanek blew him away. He had almost lost his breath just from a single glance. No one had been this gorgeous, no one except his Mother. His Mother…

His past life.

What was this wretched woman doing to him? He had to put a stop to this before he came out damaged… he was always the one who ended up bruised.

“The Princess…” She whispered leaning in closer. Tanek watched her eyes trail around his lips. Before he was even able to do anything, she planted hers lips fully on his. Her lips and been soft, and firm, and wonderful. Before he was able to begin to process what had happened, it was over. What had happened?

Had it even happened?

The moment he had felt heaven against his lips, he was a goner. Every question was wiped from his mind. Tanek could no longer form a coherent thought without sounding like a lost man washed up on sea after weeks of being alone on a deserted island. Whatever had just happened scared him beyond belief. He willed his jaw to stay strong hoping not to present a likeness to a gaping fish.

Alessia too was taken aback. She had wanted to feel his lips against hers for such a long time, even dreamed about it, but didn’t think she would ever actually do it. It had been such a bold move, incredibly forward even for someone like Alessia. It felt as if she had been possessed at the moment and couldn’t possibly say no. Her body had done it on it’s own accord and it had been incredibly improper of her. She was a Princess!

What was this man doing to her? Her Mother would faint if she ever found out.

As it was, she couldn’t stop herself now. Alessia moved her mouth to whisper directly into his ear. Her breathe tickled, and managed to send shivers of pleasure down the pirate’s spine, “Perhaps she is right under your nose. She could be here or she could be there… maybe somewhere lost… somewhere in yonder. As for now, I believe we are done here Tanek.”

Tanek watched awestruck as she walked over to his door. Where had the weak boy gone? Who had taken the poor boy and turned him into such a temptress? Tanek needed to sit down and think before he did something irrational. He walked to his bed and fell back giving his feet a rest. His mind needed a rest too. He looked at his window from afar.

In another lifetime maybe…

Surely he had just gotten involved in something he wasn’t quite sure existed. Hell, he didn’t even know if he wanted to figure out what had just happened. He thought for a second about life before the word “princess” ever plagued his mind and consumed his every thought and action, he could hardly remember a time. For all he could do now was hope. Tanek hoped that someday this would all be worth it.

Someday, far, far away from here… someday in yonder…

“And Tanek,” He looked up in the direction of her voice, his gaze captured in her lovely eyes. This last part thought, he wasn’t sure if she was really there or he was just imagining it all, “I intend to figure you out. Everything…”

He turned away returning to his thoughts. What a thought.

Yonder.
----------------------------------------
♠ ♠ ♠
Dedicated to LostInCircles

I'm sorry it's been forever!

Being a college student makes life difficult in the simplest of ways and Socrates is making life difficult in the most complex. Instead of pondering the idea of knowing nothing, I wrote this for you. I hope you read slowly because I don't know when the next one is coming. Please don't hate me... at least this one is super long AND I can fully assure you that there most definitely will be an update in the not so far yet not too near (does that just equal distant?) future. I'm still your faithful author. And besides, I gave you a starts with "k" and ends with"iss"... though it happened so fast you may have blinked and missed it. Unfortunately, I've gotten to the point where I haven't plotted out exactly what I want to happen. Send me ideas...? Wishful thinking.

Suggestions for what to do while you wait for an update:
- Re-read the story from the beginning
- Re-read the story backwards
- Send me encouraging messages
- Explain what informatics is
- Tell me about your favorite parts of the story (characters/moments/quotes/etc.)
- Tell me why you hate the story using words that won't make me cry
- Read my textbooks for me and then let me know what happened
- Analyze the quote: "I know that I know nothing" - Socrates
- Any combination of the above... or get crafty and add your own idea to the list!

How many days until break?