Status: Welcome To Yonder where we aim for regular weekly updates EVERY Friday and/or Monday (fingers crossed).

To Yonder

Chapter Eighteen

The River
“I’ve seen enough now to know that beautiful things
Don’t always stay that way
I’ve done enough now to know this beautiful place
Isn’t everything they say”
- Good Charlotte

Scandal.

Alessia’s Mother would be absolutely horrified if she even had an inkling of what her pristine daughter was partaking in. It was all strictly innocent though. It was nothing more reasoned Alessia. She hadn’t been compromised; she and Tanek hadn’t really done anything that bad if you were being objective. All that had happened was a few stolen kisses and maybe a few sneaky glances when no one was looking.

That was it.

Things hadn’t really changed much. Alessia was still Alessia, and Tanek was still Tanek. Together there was Alessia and then separately there was Tanek. A pair who happened to coexist, not like Alessia’s Mother and Father who relied on one another for everything including the little, ridiculous things like respiration. Alessia and Tanek were not a single entity, and they never would be. A pirate and a princess did not go together, they just existed.

And besides, Alessia could breath perfectly fine on her own. In and out, repeat.

The Princess sat in her normal position on deck watching the waves roll by while thinking about what it would be like to be swallowed up by the sea. She continued to think ridiculous, nonsensical thoughts just to consume her time. Perhaps it was all the salt water finally getting to her head. Regardless, Alessia was really enjoying the carefree lifestyle. There was nothing even close to this back home.

She thought about life back at the palace. On a normal day, she would probably be drowning under bolts of fabric as she was fit for another twenty dresses she definitely did not need. After that she would be expected to sit and listen to the men talk and act as if she were interested nodding at all the appropriate times – god forbid she actually ever were interested, a woman was never to open her mouth in the court. Never have a thought about a man’s ideas and most certainty keep all opinions to herself.

Had she really existed so worthlessly?

Alessia yearned to be challenged and wanted. Perhaps things in Dalmasca would be different. Perhaps the Prince would see her as an equal… they could have a good life together. She could learn to love him and hopefully him in return. It had happened to her Father and his Father before him. It was a never-ending chain but it always seemed to work out in the end. Look at Alessia’s parents now! Probably breathing in synchronization.

This was the way things had always been and the way things would continue to be.

Alessia had been sitting for about a half an hour when she felt a strong presence from behind her. She stayed quiet for a few minutes while the figure didn’t move. There was only one person that it could possibly be. Alessia took in a quick draw of air preparing herself. She knew exactly who it was. The presence was overpowering, “Tanek…”

Tanek didn’t say anything. Instead he sat himself down right next to her. The pair both looked out at the ocean sitting side by sided quietly. They didn’t speak, yet a whole conversation flowed between them. Their elbows were centimeters apart. Alessia felt so close yet from the outside they seemed so far away. Forget about being swallowed by the sea, she could practically drown in his presence.

“There is a nice breeze today,” The silence between them had been shattered.

Tanek just seemed to nod keeping his lips pressed shut in a tight line. Alessia had noticed that when they were together, there weren’t many words exchanged. Tanek never really said much in her presence… not that he ever did at any other time. It was good though. It gave Alessia an opportune time to watch him and figure out all his little quirks. She could tell that he observed everything, took note of things others wouldn’t even think to glance at. She particularly liked that about him.

Tanek ran a hand through his hair before he slightly leaned in her direction. His hand crawled over close to her body before resting near her thigh. Alessia noticed conflict in his eyes and gathered that the Captain was having some sort of internal battle. His crystal eyes seemed to melt into pool of diamonds as his brain processed whatever it was he was thinking. He closed his eyes, but opened them seconds later. One side had won, and Tanek’s hand slid towards Alessia’s lap grabbing one of her delicate hands in his.

His large hand engulfed hers. His rough skin felt surprisingly smooth against her own. Slowly but surely Alessia began to lean in towards Tanek until her side slightly rested against his. For a moment they were alone in their own little world protected from the unknown.

Alessia wished that the two of them could stay like this forever.

Tanek still hadn’t said anything when he begun to trace small circles against the back of her palm with his thumb. Tanek was too busy reveling in the peace of nothingness to realize what he was subconsciously doing. Giving up on the Princess was probably the best decision he had ever made in his life. It hadn’t even been a whole day yet he already felt an overwhelming amount of peace consume his body. He hadn’t even realized the immense amount of weight pressing down on him until it was gone. For once in his life, Tanek could just be.

What a concept.

As they sat in silence Alessia thought of her family. She wondered what they were all doing at this exact moment. Her Father was probably grumbling about something ridiculous while her Mother complained back. As for Alistair, he was probably off training one of the young colts or refining his blade skills.

Oh Alistair, Alessia missed his annoying face and his constant struggle to be taken as a man while he was still just a boy. One day he would be released into the world and see it for what it was. A place adulterated with villains and evils yet somehow it still managed to retain its magic and wonderment. Soon enough he would be thrust upon it all, and it would be his responsibility. That was what a King did.

The King…

Alessia wondered if her family was stilling looking for her. Surely her Father had demanded Alistair return home. Alessia could hardly bear the thought of her baby brother braving the rough ocean waters all by his lonesome. Alessia knew her Mother was wise enough to shelter her brother and lock him up in his bedchambers. Alistair better be within the safety of the palace walls.

Her heart began to beat quicker. What if he wasn’t there? What if he was in trouble? What if he needed her and here she was nowhere to be found.

Before she had a chance to run off with her thoughts the veil had been lifted, “Do you think this is foolish?” Those were the first lucky words to leave Tanek’s mouth. Alessia was snapped out of her thoughts.

Alessia didn’t know what he meant though. Was what foolish? Being a pirate, or sitting in silence? Perhaps he meant the prospect of the two of them sneaking around… maybe he was thinking of an unobtainable future for the two of them. Alessia was about to ask what he meant by his questions when he disregarded it, “Never mind…”

“I…” Alessia began trying to figure out what the Captain had meant to say. Surely anything he thought worth asking was important to some degree.

Tanek stood cutting her off. With their hands still intertwined he pulled her up as well. Tanek made no motion to let go, but then suddenly released. The spell was broken and his words almost felt foreign to her ears, “Another time.”

Paralyzed, she watched his figure retreat. With long, powerful strides he made his way across the deck to what she assumed was his private quarters. Once he was out of sight she made a promise to herself that she would ask him later.

“Another time.”

---

“Blasted pirates.”

Alistair looked up from the report he was sending back to the palace. His Father had required Alistair write to him all about his progress. At this point, there wasn’t much to write home about. Regardless, Alistair did as he was told and followed his Father’s specific orders. At the end of the day his Father was the King and the King could have his head.

He came to a pause with a loss of words. Alistair stopped to take a minute and twirled his ring around his finger subconsciously. He stared down of it. It was bold and heavy and bared his family’s insignia. Something about the idea amused him, his legacy was wrapped around his very finger and simultaneously weighing it down.

He looked out the porthole and in the distance noticed Tanek’s ship coasting. So far, the pirate hadn’t noticed them and Alistair hoped it stayed that way.

Alistair wondered what was happening on Tanek’s ship. He prayed his sister was alright and that she wasn’t being regarded to as a slave. Alistair knew how brutal men could be, especially pirates. The young Prince would not stand for his sister to be mistreated.

The world was filled with villains and evils; the young Prince knew the harsh reality.

His thoughts were interrupted by the faint sounds of cheers. The Prince got up from his perch and exited the cabin to see what had set his crew on fire. He hoped it wasn’t something trivial… like one of the men managing to eat his weight in potatoes… again.

Though Alistair did have to admit, he was impressed to some degree.

When Alistair made contact with the outside, the sight before him was so glorious he could hardly contain the smile trying to break through. In front of him was a ship so fine it could only belong to one person, Cameron, the Prince of the Dalmascan Empire had arrived.

It was absolutely breathtaking. Blinding.

The ships aligned and a bridge was forged between the two ships. This was the very beginning of the bridge between their nations.

Alistair made sure to straighten himself out before stepping forward to wait at the end of the plank for the other Prince to cross. Alistair didn’t know what to expect, but the man who crossed from one ship to the other was far from what Alistair had imagined. He wasn’t quite sure what he had expected to be honest.

Cam had fair hair and big, hazel eyes. His build was one of someone who had trained extensively, and he walked completely erect, head back, and chin up. This was the penultimate Prince.

He even seemed to glow.

When the two Princes came face-to-face Alistair suddenly became extremely nervous. This was to be the first physical contact between Arcadia and Dalmasca. Alistair extended his hand trying to remain as proper as possible. He didn’t want to dare offend the other Prince incase there were different customs, “Prince Cameron, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. I am Alistair, I hope your trip went well.”

What happened next shocked the young Prince.

Cam bypassed Alistair’s extended arm and instead went in for a hug. Alistair was not used to such intimate contact with anyone outside of his immediate family, but obliged, “Nonsense, Cam will do. We are to be brothers, are we not?”

“I suppose we are,” Alistair said once he was released. He took the time to look over Cam once more. So far he seemed respectable even if the hug had taken Alistair by surprise.

Alistair did notice a difference between them. He was unsure if it was the Dalmascan upbringing or the few extra years Cam had, but the other Prince seemed to exude an intense amount of confidence. Alistair liked that and resolved to one day be the same.

“And I have brought you something,” Cam received a small package from one of his men and then immediately handed it over to Alistair.

Alistair carefully undid the pristine packaging and unveiled the contents. Inside was a single, worn golden coin. The Prince took out the gift and held it up examine it in the daylight. One side held the crest of the Dalmascan royal family and he flipped it over to see that the other displayed the design of the Dalmascan flag. Alistair had to admit, it was a rather beautiful piece. He had never seen anything like it.

“Interesting, huh?” Cam interjected, “It has been in my family for years. I have heard stories that in times of trouble it will bring luck and lead you in the right direction. I would say you and I could use all the luck we can get.”

Alistair felt the cool metal between his fingers. With a flick of the thumb the coin was sent spiraling through the air before landing back in his open palm. He closed his fist around it and could almost feel the power radiating from it.

Behind them, more cheers erupted from the men.

The Prince was unsure of whether it was Cam or the coin or even the long voyage and salt water that was finally getting to him, it all didn’t matter. What was important is that he felt it. He looked up at Cam once more and the two Princes grinned at one another. Alistair knew it wasn’t just him, Cam felt it too.

Alistair was in agreement – a little luck was never a bad thing.

He could feel it.
----------------------------------------
♠ ♠ ♠
Dedicated to CookieMonster98

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
1. I hope you stuffed yourself with turkey (or tofurkey) and then passed out in a food coma (in the most elegant of ways).
2. I hope you enjoyed the company of friends and family or even some peaceful time alone.
3. I hope you took advantage of some great and some not-so-great Black Friday deals even if the damage was done on Thursday -- I know I did, I am now the proud owner of a brand-spankin-new Wii U (that rhymed). Super Smash Bros, here I come!

ALSO, NaNoWriMo! Do it loud, do it proud, and hopefully you're doing it a lot better than me. ahaha. If anyone has written anything at all send it to me! I'm creating my winter reading list... actually while you're at it, send any and all suggestions for books on Mibba or published! If I can read it, I want it.

AND, I seem to not be getting notifications about comments and replies, which is super inconvenient. I promise I'm not ignoring you! I love you all<333 As a result, I've been trying to go through manually and reply to you all. Yell at me if I miss you! I won't take offense, I promise.

Countdown until Christmas Break: Not that long, which when it comes, will equate me to a writing and subsequently updating fiend.

Till then, stay warm and stay wonderful!