Status: Welcome To Yonder where we aim for regular weekly updates EVERY Friday and/or Monday (fingers crossed).

To Yonder

Chapter One

The Ocean
“I climbed up a mountain, and looked off the edge
At all of the lives that I never have led”
- The Bravery

"Do you ever wonder what is out there? Behind all the dresses and jewelry and balls... There is a whole other world! How can you contain yourself from acting on the urge to just go out and explore it? Immerse yourself in the unknown? Get lost and be anyone but yourself?”

"Princess, you are getting married to the young king-to-be in less then a month, I am sure that is an adventure on its own. Besides, there is no time to be having those kind of nonsensical… urges," Nelly said disdainfully looking rather tired as she warily eyed Alessia.

Nelly had not had proper time to adjust to the ocean’s natural rhythm and looked rather seasick. The faintest tint of green was evident on her pale face, and discussion seemed to constantly divert to arbitrary talks of “freedom” and “life” beyond the palace walls – a topic Nelly was unwilling to entertain. Whenever conversation turned to this particular subject, Nelly was always quick to counteract the senseless whim. A princess should never think in such a manner. Nelly could never grasp the concepts Alessia spoke so freely about.

The doe eyed girl looked at the Princess with a wishful look. Surely the Princess would make a beautiful bride and one day run the kingdom just as greatly as her Father and his predecessors. It was her duty. Well, really it was the duty of her younger brother Alistair since he was technically heir to the Arcadian throne. He would one day be King of the realm, but surely Alessia would make her voice be heard.

"I just wonder what it would be like to be somebody else even if only for a day. You know sometimes I think we were switched a birth. You should be the Princess, you would make a finer one than me."

"You cannot say that!" Nelly flushed, she was just a handmaid, "I could never! The people adore you, the Prince cannot wait to meet you, and I am lucky to serve you, Princess."

Nelly blushed and fiddled with her hands that were awkwardly placed on her lap. As she looked down refusing to meet eye contact, Alessia looked straight at her with an unwavering stare. Moments like these truly showed the difference between both girls.

"That is my point though. There has to be more out there than just this. I am not to be misunderstood. I am very grateful and all, but life should not be just about impressing people. I want to go out and be like everyone else, anyone other than my Father's daughter. Besides, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Alessia? We have practically known each other since infancy and we have grown up side by side."

Nelly went to open her mouth and protest when she suddenly heard a great commotion coming from the upper deck. She heard yelling and the clashing of blades – it sounded like a struggle was occurring. The color drained from her face as the loud warning rang in her head repetitively... Pirates.

"Princess, you must hide at once!" Nelly was suddenly very nervous and any trace of their previous conversation was lost in oblivion. Nelly looked around frantically trying to find somewhere for Alessia to hide. She stared at a worn, wooden chest in the corner of the room wondering whether she could safely hide Alessia in there before the pirates reached the lower level.

Alessia sat very calm and very still in one location as Nelly ran in circles around her frantically. Although pirates were always a looming threat, neither girl had ever thought it to be something to be concerned about. To the safe confines of the castle, pirates were just as real as unicorns and dragons. Nelly could faint any second, but as for Alessia; sometimes one person’s despair is another’s joy. Adventure was calling.

Alessia continued to sit still in deep thought until it hit her, "That is exactly what I need to do… hide! You are absolutely brilliant Nell, I could kiss you right now! Open that chest. There is some spare clothing in there."

It wasn’t exactly what Nelly had in mind, but nevertheless she quickly obliged too caught up in the moment to question Alessia's demands. When she opened the trunk she was surprised to see dirty, worn men's clothing. What could the Princess possibly want with these old things? "Perfect Nell, take out everything we will need. A set for you and me, hopefully we will find something to fit convincingly enough."

Nelly hesitated staring at the mess of clothing in the chest. She hadn’t quite pieced together the Princess’ plan, but Nelly’s gut instinct told her she wouldn’t like where this was going. Nelly stared at the heap of disgusting rags internally battling with herself before slowly reaching forward. Her hand seemed to be engulfed by the clothing. Nelly pulled out the two sailor’s outfits.

Alessia quickly stripped off her elegant dress without shame. She put on the dirt caked breeches and the overly worn, oversized shirt. Nelly stared in horror, but with a little persuasion, followed suit. Nelly was beginning to piece things together. Maybe the pirates would think them dirty and diseased and choose to leave them alone.

"Now all we need... ah!" Alessia handed Nelly a dull pocketknife that had been discarded in the corner of the room. Nelly stared at the dull blade observing the rust at the tip. As she held the blade horrible thoughts of the damage that could be done with such a tool flitted across her mind. The trance was broken though when Alessia began spewing out orders once more, "Alright, cut it short. Make sure it is not too uneven either. We want to be convincing, not fools."

Convincing of what? Nelly was horrified – whatever she had thought before, the Princess thought it ten times more extreme. Nelly's hand shook as she clutched the knife. She could never touch the head of a royal. Besides there was no way the corroded knife would cut through anything, even the simplest things such as string would be questionable. The Princess had beautifully thick, magnificent hair, "I'm sorry Princess, I just cannot bring myself to. Your hair is too beautiful."

Alessia looked at her softy, "This is my chance to see the world, and if we do not we will surely be dead. I am sure my Father will send rescue later on, for now live a little. Have you not ever wondered, even an ounce?"

That information and encouragement gave Nelly the twenty seconds of courage she needed to make the first cut. As Nelly slashed at Alessia's beautiful, blonde locks tears began to trickle down her face. Nelly could hardly believe her eyes as she watched the silky strands fall to the dirt-covered floor. This was not supposed to happen. Surely this was all some horrible dream that she would wake up from and laugh about with the Princess in the morning.

As soon as the last section of hair floated to the floor, Alessia whirled around and freed the knife from Nelly’s cluth. Nelly began to back away from the Princess. She knew what the Princess intended to do. An eye for an eye?

"I cannot," Nelly said as more tears sprung to her eyes.

"I refuse to leave you here to die," Alessia heard the men above fighting. The sounds of clashing metal swords rang through the cabin’s thin walls. The danger was real and it was coming closer with every second they wasted. Each breath could easily become their last if they did not hurry, "As Princess I order you to allow me to cut your hair."

Alessia was never one to abuse her powers but she had known Nelly too long to not know her well enough. Nelly took pride in her hair, but she took more pride in faithfully serving the royal family. Alessia could say almost anything with authority and Nelly would comply against her own will and better judgment. Nelly was loyal to a fault – some would argue blindly loyal.

"Yes princess," She bowed her head. Alessia quickly got to work trying to be as gentle as she could. The knife was rather dull and she tried to refrain from tugging more then necessary. Once she was done she could see the tears forming once again in Nelly's eyes. Alessia silently prayed that her dear friend would find it in her heart to one day forgive her. That is once they got out of this horrid situation and returned home to the comfort of the castle.

The two girls looked at each other in silence taking in their new appearances. Nelly stood rigid unable to comprehend the situation. At that second it seemed that the weight of the moment then fell on Alessia. Her relaxed manner began to crumble just like Nelly’s world.

"I am so sorry," Alessia whispered hoarsely as the door was kicked in.

"Ay, what do you two lads think yer getting away with in’ere?" A burly man who was missing his front teeth asked. His voice boomed and reverberated with vengeance in the quiet room, “Surely you don’t think yer making it out alive…”

The color drained from Nelly’s face. Her palms grew sweaty and she began to lose feeling all throughout her body. Alessia tried to refrain from similar feelings. She swallowed once in an effort to smooth what would surely come out as a high-pitched, squeaky voice brimming with nerves. Alessia quickly gave herself a pep talk. She needed to be convincing, not just for herself but also for Nelly and her family and her people.

"We do not want to fight. Perhaps we could join you on your ship?" Alessia asked while Nelly stood frozen in fear.

"Ye two little boys are a scrawny bunch. Just like’em dead sailors over’ed, " He and the two men behind him laughed loudly, "Going from some weakling sailors for the royal nutcases to fierce and gruesome pirates? Yer too funny."

Alessia saw Nelly's hands clench into fists. Alessia would have to plead with the rather large man without sounding too cowardly. Her next few words could mark the difference between life and death for not just her, but Nelly as well, "We would do anything asked of us. Clean the deck, cook meals, we are awfully good sailors. Size means absolutely nothing."

The man laughed again as if it were the funniest thing he'd heard in a long time. When he quieted down he seemed to look Alessia and Nelly up and down. As the seconds past the man seemed to grow larger and larger. Finally he made a decision, but the jocular tone he had previously had seemed to be replaced with an ominous mood, "Alright, I'll take ye to the boss. Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll like yer... I’ll even put in a good word for ye two. The two fools willing to do our grunt work…”

The foreboding air then dissipated returning to the suddenly comfortable, jesting mood, “Ye know, it’s too bad ye ain’t no girls. I figure the Capt’n could use himself a pretty little lady to keep him some company. ‘Specially late at night if yer know what I mean."

Alessia saw Nelly’s face drain from color. She had to stop herself from reaching out to clasp Nelly’s hand in reassurance. The toothless man laughed once more as he took in their reaction, “I knew ye two were a bunch of pansies, but yer growing on me. Now come along lads, we’ve got some business t’attend to. The Capt’n don’t like waitin’ so we better get on with it. The Princess ain’t here and I ain’t gonna be the one to let’em know.”

The man turned around. He opened the door that lead to the staircase to the main deck. Alessia began to let out a sigh of relief… too soon for then the man stopped and turned around with a funny glint in his beady eyes, "I suggest ye say a prayer, the Capt’n ain’t one of those very givin’ men you hear about in them fairytales, but then again we're pirates, who is?"
----------------------------------------