Status: Welcome To Yonder where we aim for regular weekly updates EVERY Friday and/or Monday (fingers crossed).

To Yonder

Chapter Six

“It all happened so much faster
Than you could say disaster"
- Jack Johnson

“Soldier, what news have you got?” There were two players, the setting was a private study dedicated to the young Prince, and there was one big, glaring issue at hand.

Cam looked at the man expectantly waiting to hear news of the lost Princess. The man standing in front of him was highly decorated, an admiral. Cam remembered admiring the Admiral throughout his years of growing up. Surely if Cam wasn’t a prince he would’ve aspired to take charge of his own fleet of ships.

Regardless, the anticipation was building with each passing second. Cam could hardly contain himself, but did his very best to stay collected. There hadn't been any news on the Princess’ whereabouts thus far and he was hoping that the tides were changing.

He sat regally with his jaw set and his gaze firm – a very different image from the mix of emotions swirling within his being. He didn’t know if he was sad or upset or angry -- maybe a mix of all three? Did he have a right? He didn’t even know the Princess! God, she was a Princess and she was missing. The danger she could be in at this very second… All the different prospects made him feel sick.

Cam was incredulous. There was one single mission, transport the Princess from point A to point B while keeping her out of harm’s way. How was it possible that a ship full of people loyal to the throne could lose a single princess? A single person to watch over! It didn’t make sense to him. The ship was dedicated to her wellbeing! Besides, a person, much less the Princess, couldn’t just disappear without a single trace. Cam had enough trouble trying to step out of the castle without being interrogated about where he was going and whom he was taking to keep a watchful eye. Surely the Arcadians did not regard their royalty in such a different manner.

The whole situation was incredible. While the royal ship had been shot down and was unfortunately swimming with the fishes somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, a few men had managed to escape on a cockboat. Of course none of those men had any clue where the Princess and her handmaid had gone. Best case scenario the two of them where together somewhere safe and trying to find their way back to civilization. Worst-case scenario… he didn’t want to even entertain the thought.

Cam tried his hardest not to think of the horrible things that could’ve transpired in the past couple of days. No longer was he so worried about getting married, but rather making sure that his innocent fiancé was kept safe. As long as he they were betrothed, she was his to value and protect and he would do his best to let no harm come her way. Cam was normally fairly benevolent, but at this particular moment, he wasn’t completely averse to seeing some heads roll. Eventually, heads would roll.

“Nothing new my Prince,” The soldier bowed slightly in respect, “We have sent out several more ships to the East as ordered. Is there any other course of action you wish to take at this time? Perhaps we shall strategize at a later time picked at your connivance, my Prince. By then maybe we shall have more word from the ships. For now we will stay strong and keep the Princess in our prayers. Dalmasca will prevail.”

“Very well then,” Cam was disappointed. There were so many things he wanted to say, but he held his tongue. It would not be right for him to take out his frustrations on a man doing his best to aid his mission, “You are dismissed.”

There hadn’t been any new word in the past few days and the young Prince was beginning to get restless. Soon enough he would set sail himself. He had toyed with the idea for the past few days. He had military training, why not put it to good use for once? At the very least it would show that the Dalmascan kingdom was not to be trifled with. It was a kingdom fit with strong rulers who knew how to get what they wanted and take action – whoever the Princess’ captors were would surely quake in fear and return her at once.

The soldier left quietly as if noticing Cam’s quickly deteriorating mood. Cam soon followed suit deciding he wanted to think in private. He moved to his bedchambers where we could sit and ponder without any unwarranted interruptions. Nobody had interrupted him thus far, and he didn't want to press his luck. Soon enough there would be flocks of different individuals all offering their condolences for his missing fiancé. Cam thought about the idea bitterly. She wasn't dead!

Well...

The Prince paced his private quarters trying to think of possible situations the Princess could be stuck in this very moment. What if she was being held captive somewhere, maybe she was being tortured, or worse... If that were the case there was no doubt in his mind that there would be severe consequences for those held accountable.

His pacing then became frantic. His sword bounced against his leg with each quick step he took and his honors jingled as they hit one another. Suddenly his coat felt too snug and his coronet was entirely too heavy. He didn’t even know why he was wearing the blasted thing and ripped it off of his head. It took a moment for him to calm down and refrain from throwing the delicate, solid gold band across the room. He was a prince and he would stay composed at all times.

Yet, he was a prince without a princess.

Cam had never met Princess Alessandria, but he’d heard wonderful stories about her. He had heard no woman in the world could compete with her beauty, her personality could light up a room, and her laugh was like chime bells. Alessandria sounded like the epitome of everything he could ever want and a whole lot more. She would be his Queen and he would be her protector, her King – Cam was not willing to let anybody threaten that prospect.

Cam had tried everything. When he first caught wind of his missing fiancé he immediately sent out his finest fleet on a retrieval message. They had returned without a lead and were instantly sent back out accompanied by several other crews. Such an urgent matter demanded the full attention of the crown; only the best and strongest men would do for such an important retrieval mission. The Prince was confident in his kingdom, they would find their future Queen. Dalmasca was large and Dalmasca was proud.

But really, where had she gone?

Would it be too farfetched to cry killer sea monster or ship caught under a siren's spell? It had happened to the greats like Odysseus and Beowulf, why not his bride? Even in this grave situation Cam couldn't help but find it a little humorous. How ridiculous were the possibilities that he conjured up within his mind? He amused himself.

Cam went to exit his bedroom when he had a thought so obvious he was puzzled as to why nobody had thought of it sooner. His arm stayed rigid reaching for the brass doorknob until it slowly began to retreat hanging limply by his side. They had been looking in all the wrong places – scouring towns and keeping relations with other monarchs rather than going right to the source. Where was one to go when they were stuck in the middle of the ocean?

Cam stormed from his room with one word burning in his mind. His hands were in tight fists shaking uncontrollably. The bloody word was on the tip of his tongue and he could hardly contain himself from yelling it at the top of his lungs. The Prince would relay his message to the first person he saw and hoped it would spread like wildfire. All he could see was red… his world was on fire.

It hit Cam so hard it almost hurt. How could he have not realized earlier? There was only one, dastardly reason for why his future wife would be missing at sea. One reason he would soon exterminate with ever fiber of his being… Those god awful, ghastly beings hardly worthy of being called men…

Pirates.
----------------------------------------
♠ ♠ ♠
A shortie but goodie.

Enter Cam.