‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

It's Over

“Hey, what happened?” Luke asked catching up to me after I grabbed my board from him, (which Ryan rudely shoved at him when he pulled me away).

“Ryan,” I huffed. “He started questioning me about who I was talking to earlier and then kissed me,” I frowned and strapped in my left foot.

“You’re mad, why?”

“He doesn’t even act like my boyfriend anymore. He doesn’t have a right to do such thing. And I’m not angry, I’m confused,” I sighed.

“What would unconfused you?”

I looked at him. “If he told me the truth.”

“The truth about?”

“If he still has feelings for me,” I said quietly.

He came over and hugged me. Awkwardly though, because of our boards. “It’s gonna be okay. You’re the dynamic duo. You’re like Sonny and Cher, Bonnie and Clyde, Tom and Jerry, Beauty and the Beast,” he said. I raised an eyebrow at him and laughed. “He’s the beast,” he grinned at me.

“Thanks Lukey boo,” I smiled and kissed his cheek. He grinned wider.

“Of course, Lynie-pop,” he said.

“Lynie-pop?” I laughed.

He looked serious all of the sudden and put hands on my shoulders. “Yes, Lynie-pop,” he said seriously. I started cracking up, and he joined me.

Somebody cleared their throat from beside me and I looked towards it, seeing a very pissed off Ryan, arms crossed and very amused faces of Audrey and Mikkel.

“Let’s go? All the way to the bottom?” Luke asked, putting his arms to the side.

“Yeah, sure, I’m hungry,” Mikkel chirped.

“Wanna race Lukey-boo?” I asked Luke, giving him a Cheshire grin.

“Sure thing, Lynie-pop,” he grinned at me. I could practically see steam coming out of Ryan’s ears. I bit my lip from rolling on the snow - laughing.

“We’re gonna go ahead guys. We’ll meet you down there,” Luke said. “Let’s go Lynie-pop?” I nodded at him and strapped onto my board, making sure everything was all good. “Ready?” I nodded again before he gave me a push to give me a head start. I started cruising down the slope - into the trees, avoiding people, hitting some jumps on the side and even threw in some rotations.

Luke passed me, so I decided to pick up on speed and less on tricks. I dodged everyone easily and caught up with him.

“Hey friend,” I shouted at him.

“Hello to you too,” he grinned at me. We were facing each other, meaning he was riding switch. “So, Jay was pissed,” he pointed out.

“Sure,” I smirked. “I basically just saw steam coming out of his ears,” I chuckled.

“I know!” he laughed. “Okay. Whoever gets to the bottom last buys lunch,” he laughed before crouching down and gaining more speed. I did the same and after 5 more minutes, we were both at the bottom. Needless to say - he’s the professional snowboarder. He beat me.

“You cheater!” I said as I collapsed on the ground after strapping out of my bindings.

“What cheater?!” he pouted.

“You’re a professional snowboarder!” I pouted back.

“You knew that before you accepted the challenge!” he chuckled. “Plus, you beat Shaun White,” he scoffed.

“But that was because you guys love me and he let me win!” I defended.

“Ugh, just say you don’t wanna buy lunch,” he rolled his eyes, strapping out of his own board and making his way towards me - holding out a hand to help me up. I reached for it, but my peripheral vision caught something and I yanked Luke down with me. “What’s wrong with you?!” Luke grumbled, rolling onto his back, since he handed face down on the snow next to me.

“What are you guys doing?” a shadow loomed over us, with a scowl on his face.

“We’re simply wresting,” I said matter-of-factly.

“Can you grow up, please?” Ryan said irritatedly.

“What if we don’t want to? Party pooper,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Get up,” he said to me, holding out a hand. I rolled my eyes once again and took it, pulling myself up.

“Hey, what about me?! You pulled me down here!” Luke pouted.

“Awww, is Lukey-boo mad?” I asked, and pulled him up.

“Not anymore, thank you Lynie-pop,” he said and kissed my cheek.

“You, off my girlfriend,” Ryan said pulling us apart, and wrapping his arms around my waist protectively.

Luke backed off, his hands up in the air. “I was just playing, sheesh. I’m sorry, it completely slipped my mind since you have that witch with you and that was the first time you’ve claimed that through the 4 days you’ve been here,” he said.

“Doesn’t mean it changes a thing, Lucas,” Ryan glared. Luke scoffed.

“Your rights to that claim disappeared when you walked out on me if you forgot Jay,” I purposely called him a very un-personal name. There was an awkward silence between us because he was in a state of shock that I called him Jay.

“Don’t you have another whore to tend to?” Whoa shit, Luke. I need to get you out of here before you start acting like Tristan.

“Well, let’s go grab lunch,” I said to Luke and stepped out of Ryan’s grasp which loosened. “You won fair and square,” I said and grabbed my board from the ground, then took Luke by the arm, dragging him towards the cabin, without another look at Ryan Jay.

~/~/~/~/~/~


“He pisses me off,” Luke said as he stuffed the pizza in his mouth.

“Who pisses my brother off?” Jack asked and sat next to me, grabbing my pizza - immediately shoving it in his mouth.

“Jack!” I pouted.

“Cute, but who pissed my brother off?”

“Jay,” I smirked.

“What happened?” he asked. “Did you just call him Jay?” Jack asked, eyes wide.

“I was just playing around with Lynie-pop here, and he got all defensive and pissed off when he didn’t even pay any attention to her!” he said exasperatedly, throwing his up in the air.

“I think a boyfriend would get jealous if another guy would call his girlfriend Lynie-pop,” Jack said with a full mouth.

“He’s not my boyfriend anymore,” I muttered.

He spit the pizza out. “What do you fucking mean DeLuca?”

“As far as I’m concerned, he doesn’t care about me anymore – he proved that when he walked out on me at the hospital,” I shrugged like it was no big deal but it truly killed me on the inside.

“So.. you’re over?” he asked slowly. I just shrugged at him because I didn’t really know where Ryan and I stood at this point.

“You owe me a snowboard,” I said to Jack. He just sighed and shrugged but nodded anyways. “I want your custom 153,” I said to him. He just shrugged and shoved even more pizza in his mouth. “Yay,” I smiled triumphantly.

“I’m borrowing her,” I heard somebody say before I was dragged away from the Mitrani brothers. I knew who it was, being familiar with that touch - plus the two didn’t act like I was getting kidnapped.

We were finally outside- between two buildings- when I was lightly pushed against the wall as he leaned against it, basically blocking people’s view of our faces. Maybe more like my face. I frowned at that. Am I that ugly?

“What’s up?” I asked coolly.

“What do you mean ‘what’s up?’ Hazelyn?” he asked through clenched teeth.

“Uhm, isn’t there only two meanings to that question? I doubt it would be asking about what’s up there,” I said pointing towards the sky, “because honestly, I couldn’t care any less and I can just look up myself,” I shrugged.

“Can you stop being sarcastic for a moment?”

“Sheesh, I was just asking, you’re the one that rudely interrupted my lunch and conversation with the Mitrani brothers,” I sighed.

“So, first you exchange numbers with some strange guy, and then you start being all sweet with Luke? Lukey-boo? Then you call me Jay, and you tell me that I can’t call you my girlfriend anymore? Seriously, Haze?” I froze at the nickname.

“Hazelyn,” I corrected automatically.

“What?” he asked, surprised.

“My name is Hazelyn. Not Haze,” I said, grinding my teeth together.

“You know what? Go ahead, go flirt with as many guys as you want, but don’t come running back to me,” he said. I was stunned.

“I won’t,” I daringly told him. “Trust is important in a relationship and obviously we don’t have that. What’s next Jay?”

“What do you mean what’s next?”

“First your love disappears, then now your trust. I’m asking what’s next, because I’d rather be ready for it,” I said to him, trying to keep my voice level. “But don’t worry about it. I know it’s done, it’s over. I get it.”

“Whoever said my love disappeared? And what do you mean it’s over?” he yelled.

“So, you’re saying your trust disappeared?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“You’re implying it.”

“Stop putting words into my mouth.”

“Do you see me shoving a dictionary down your throat?” I sneered at him.

“Can you be serious?!” he asked furiously.

“I am!” I shouted right back at him. He pinched his nose-bridge, and closed his eyes. “Jay, just tell me the truth, tell me what you want to happen. It will be easier on both sides of this string,” I sighed. He looked at me questioningly. “I can’t keep doing this.”

“Keep doing what? There’s nothing wrong!” he shouted.

“I can’t keep waiting for you to go back to your old-self, because as of right now, you’re not the Ryan I love. You’re not my bestfriend Ryan. You’re not my boyfriend Ryan. Not anymore. You’re Jay Dolciani, not my Ryan,” I said with my voice cracking.

“Haze, baby” he said, his gaze softening.

“Don’t call me that if you don’t mean it. Only my Ryan can call me that, and as of right now, he’s not here.”

“Jay? Hazelyn?” I heard from behind Ryan. I bit my lip.

Shit. We’re dead.