‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Fall Out

“I can explain,” Ryan said.

“Start now,” she said angrily.

“There’s nothing to explain,” I shrugged.

“What are you guys doing in an alley?” she clicked her tongue and crossed her arms.

I shrugged. “I was just talking to him about his girlfriend. She had a message for him but couldn’t say it face to face. She was just breaking up with him,” I said. “And if he wants a chance to win her back again, he should show up to the dinner that her parents set,” I said eyeing him.

“Oh,” she said lowering her arms. “Okay then,” she said.

“I’m gonna go,” I said and walked past them.

I went back to the cabin and grabbed my bag, shoving all my stuff inside.

“Hello my sister,” I heard Stephanie chirp from my door. I kept shoving things in my bag. “What’s up, my dear sister?” she asked and I heard her footsteps coming closer. I finished the last of my clothes zipped my bag shut. I turned around, going towards the bathroom, taking my toiletries, and shoving them into small pockets of my bag.

Stephanie caught a glimpse of my face, and immediately ran towards me, giving me a hug. “Oh dear, what happened?” she asked concerned.

I started sobbing harder. “I can't anymore Steph, not anymore. It hurts too much. I don’t have enough courage to face it anymore,” I cried.

“What are you talking about?”

“Nothing, I’m going home. It’s over,” I said and packed the rest of my stuff. “Can you guys drop me off?” I asked her. She nodded. “I’ll talk to you about it when I’m ready, okay?” she nodded again and I kissed her cheek. “I don’t know how my brother scored a girl like you,” I smiled faintly at her.

An hour and a half later, I was on my way to the airport with my 4 bags. I had the private jet in South California, so it was there within minutes. He was currently waiting for me at the airport.

“Hazelyn! Are you okay? Shit, why are your eyes swollen? What happened?! Let me grab that for you,” Kyle offered when he saw me walk out of the cabin. “Where are you going?” he asked.

“Stephanie, can you just tell my brother that I went home. And please tell Luke and Scotty that I’ll call them tonight,” I said.

“Where are you going?” she asked me. I half smiled at her.

“I’ll let you know, because as of now, I don’t know,” I said. She nodded and half smiled at me, before hugging me.

“Hazelyn!” I heard shouts. I turned towards it, and saw a group of people coming towards me, along with bags.

“What are you guys doing?” I asked the group that came running towards me. The Mitrani brothers, Scotty and Danny trailed after each other. Thank god my brother wasn’t there.

“We’re coming with you! Duh!” they all said.

“You don’t even know where I’m going,” I scoffed.

“So? Being with you is like an adventure!” Kyle said. “I’m grabbing some clothes and my girlfriend, and wait for us at the airport,” he said, pushing me into the car with the boys.

Everyone else chuckled at that. “You guys have your boards with you,” I smirked.

“Do you seriously think that we wouldn’t bring them? Knowing you, when you run off, you’d go somewhere where there’s snow,” Jack scoffed.

“True,” I grinned.

“Let’s go?” I asked. They nodded and we got into the car towards the airport. Once we got there, we debated on where to go while we waited for Kyle and Samantha. We finally decided on Stratton, Vermont. We rented out a 10 bedroom cabin. It was comfortable and warm. We just sat around the fireplace after dinner, with hot chocolate.

“Don’t you think people would be wondering where we are?” Jack asked.

“Probably not, Mason got us,” Luke said to his brother. Jack nodded understandingly.

“So, what lead you to drag us out here?” Kyle asked, his arm around Samantha. I couldn’t even look at them without feeling queasy.

“Ryan,” I sighed. “Sorry guys, I’m dragging you all into my guy problems,” I frowned.

“Are you kidding? You’re our little sister, our bestfriend, we’d be here for you no matter what,” Scotty said from beside me and hugged me. I leaned against him, and smiled.

“Now, you shall spill the details,” Kyle said to me.

“Well,” I started out and began to tell them. “Now, I just have to wait and see if he shows up for that dinner, because if he doesn’t, then that’s it,” I frowned. Everyone gasped.

“Are you sure?” Samantha asked me.

“Yeah,” I said. “As much as I don’t want it to happen, but it’s the only way I can keep my heart safe, you know?” I sighed. “I hurt myself too much already,” I said on the verge of tears. “I really do love him, but I think he’s getting tired of me. Am I boring? Am I annoying? Do I keep him on a tight leash? What’s wrong with me? Am I too ugly for him?” I started sobbing.

“Oh baby girl,” Kyle sighed and put our cups on the coffee table, and hugged me. “You’re not boring, annoying, or ugly. You don’t even keep him on a leash!” he said reassuringly. Everyone else nodded in agreement.

“Yeah, seriously. I mean, you guys just trust each other, and it’s good. You guys don’t think otherwise,” Luke pointed out.

“Maybe that’s why,” I sighed.

“No, it’s not. There are two things that are important in a relationship. Love and trust. You both have that,” Jack said. Jack, actually serious? I wanted to make a joke out of it, but I didn’t feel like it.

“Not anymore,” I sighed. “He doesn’t even love me anymore,” I cried.

“Don’t say that!” Samantha gasped.

“But it’s true! He hasn’t said he loved me for months!” Everyone didn’t have anything to say to that. It was quiet for awhile, then something slipped through my lips without warning. “Is it because I haven’t slept with him?” I asked quietly.

“You haven’t slept with him?!” everyone basically gasped. I shook my head slowly.

“Holy,” Kyle muttered. “Are you serious?”

I nodded. Everyone was quiet. “We both agreed on waiting,” I said to them. Nobody said anything. “That’s the reason isn’t it?!” I asked on the verge of hysterics.

“No, it couldn’t be. Even he told me that he wouldn’t have sex until he gets married,” Kyle said.

“So, you still have your vcard?” Luke blurted, and quickly covered his mouth. I blushed, but nodded.

It was quiet for a few more moments. “If you guys got that far without having that as a part of your relationship, then it must be love,” Scotty pointed out.

“Shoot me!” I groaned and threw my head back onto the couch.

Still stuck in the time,
When we called it love,
But even the sun sets in paradise.


I grabbed my phone and answered. “Hello?” I groaned.

“Where the hell are you?”

“Oh brother, I’m in Stratton,” I said.

“With?”

“Everyone else,” I scoffed.

“Oh, what’s up?”

“Nothing. Just needed a new terrain,” I lied.

“Be back by dinner on Friday?”

“Certainly,” I muttered.

“Okay. Be careful. Oh and Jay’s asking where you are,” he said.

“Don’t tell him,” I said right away.

“Anything wrong?”

“Nope, nothing. Just don’t,” I said.

“Hazelyn, what happened?” he asked his voice low.

“I’ll explain after the dinner?”

“Fine,” he grunted. “Careful. Love you sis.”

“Love you too bro.”