‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Eff-you, Sir.

I slowly opened my eyes, despite the throbbing pain in my head. I squinted because of the bright light that seemed to be right at me. I waited a few more seconds, and tried to use my other senses, and try to figure out what’s happening around me.

There were hushed voices talking, telling me that there were people around me. I could feel somebody holding onto my hand. My brother? I lifted my left hand, but there seems to be something stuck onto, or into it. I was confused for a few moments, until I realized something. I passed out.

Again? I seem to be passing out a lot these days. I groaned out loud, which caused all the hushed voices to abruptly stop, and the pressure on my right hand seemed to increase.

“Hazelyn?” I heard Samantha croak from my left side. I lifted an eyebrow, and slowly opened my eyes. I was met with 6 pairs of eyes. Samantha, Kyle, Scotty, Luke, Jack, and my brother.

“Water please?” I croaked, and everyone seemed to go on high alert, and before I could say my own name, there was a bottle of water on my lips already. I would’ve laughed and made a joke, but I don’t think it would be a good time. “Why am I here?” I asked

“You kind of passed out,” Luke said. “I saw you passing out earlier,” he said.

“Why?” I asked.

Somebody cleared their throat, and I looked towards it. My eyes widened. Shit, shit , shit! It wasn’t a dream! Oh fuck! What do I say?! What do I do?! “Hi,” I managed to get out.

He had a look of sympathy, but I just looked at him blankly. “We’ll leave you two to talk,” Tristan muttered, and everyone started rushing out of the room.

“Wow, great brother I have,” I muttered.

“Yeah, he can throw great punches too,” Ryan said, making me snap my head towards him, realizing that he had a cut on his left brow and a split lip. My eyes softened for a minute, but put my façade up again.

“Why are you here?” I asked him. My energy was low. I couldn’t fight him right now.

“The doctor said you had a shortage of oxygen in your brain due to some blood loss, they recommended blood transfusion, but I know how you felt about that so I asked them if it was severe. They said it wasn’t and you’d recover from it within 24 hours with some iron pills,” he just said.

“Is that it?” I asked irritatedly.

He looked at me, and opened his mouth, but quickly closed it. He stood up, and let go of my hand(he was the one holding it?). He then walked out the door without another word.

I just stared at the door for a few moments until everyone came rushing in. There were questions being thrown around, about what Ryan said to me, and why he was here.

“I don’t know, he just told me what the doctors said and stuff and left,” I shrugged.

“He didn’t say anything?” my brother asked.

“Nope,” I said popping the p. His lips pursed into a thin line and his body stiffened. “Relax, I’m fine,” I told him.

“You’re fine?!” he asked hysterically. “You’re on a hospital bed, due to a lack of oxygen. Oxygen Hazelyn, you know, the one that keeps you alive? Or do you even know what that means, now? You’re like a zombie!”

Everyone stopped their questions at my brother’s sudden outburst.

“I might not be fine, but I will be,” I said to him, and he shook his head, walking out the door.

“Sorry, he’s stressed,” Stephanie said to me and hugged me. I just nodded at her, and she followed her boyfriend out the door.

~/~/~/~/~


“Can we go get froyo?” I asked as we walked out of the hospital.

“You just got out of the hospital, and you want frozen yogurt?” Tristan asked dumbly.

“Yes, I’m craving,” I shrugged. “Or boba,” I said thoughtfully. I was in the hospital for three days, just to make sure that I had enough blood and oxygen in my body. Awesome right? And now they’re depriving me of my cravings.

Luke and Jack left already. They had competitions to attend in Stratton. The US open. I wanted to go and support them, but no, they said that I could watch it on TV and support me from there, because apparently, I’m sick. Right.

Samantha had gone back to school because of some report that her professor had lost, so she had to leave me. And wherever Samantha goes, Kyle goes. Stephanie had a class at the moment, since it’s 10 in the morning and I took the first chance of getting out of there.

“It’s 10 in the morning,” Tristan rolled his eyes.

“You were complaining that I didn’t eat. Now that I wanna eat, you don’t want me to,” I said pouting, and crossed my arms.

“I said eat healthy, not eat unhealthy,” he said rolling his eyes. “Plus, it’s too early in the morning and you haven’t even had breakfast yet.”

“I guess, sushi first, then boba,” I smiled at him, and held my hand out for the keys, which he just looked at then walked around me, getting into the driver’s seat. I huffed and got into the passenger’s seat.

“You can’t eat anything raw though,” Tristan said as we left the hospital’s parking lot.

“I was running low on oxygen, I didn’t lose a kidney,” I rolled my eyes.

“Just to be safe,” he shrugged. “How about we go get burgers?” he asked me.

“No,” I frowned. “How about Italian? I’m craving for some bread,” I suggested.

“Good idea,” he smiled at me and started driving the opposite direction. Something hit me though, which made me gasp.

“What happened?!” Tristan abruptly stopped, thank god it wasn’t a busy street.

“Nothing, an idea hit me!” I said wide eyed. He rolled his eyes at me and continued driving. “You’re not eating healthy!” I gasped again.

“I still do, it’s just that there are times when I crave for unhealthy stuff too,” he shrugged.

“That’s how I feel right now! I want tapioca!” I whined.

“Fine,” he huffed. “Only if we get burgers,” he conditioned.

“Deal,” I smiled at him.

I love how I can get my brother to do anything.

~/~/~/~/~


“What do you mean you have to leave?!” I asked horrified.

“Mom called me for a business trip, and Nate needs me right now,” Tristan said. “I won’t be gone long,” he assured me.

“What about Stephanie?”

“She’s coming with me,” he told me.

“Samantha and Kyle?”

“Finals.”

“Are you fucking with me?!”

“No, because that would be incest.”

“Shut up,” I mumbled. “Cannot believe you’re doing this!”

It’s been two weeks since I got discharged from the hospital, and two weeks and three days from the time I saw Ryan. Now that I got used to having my brother, Stephanie, Samantha and Kyle constantly checking on me and staying with me, they’re going on a two week trip. Without me. Fucking hell.

“Just think of it like you’re back in high school, you lived alone. You’re independent, You don’t need me,” he said convincingly and almost sadly.

“I hate you,” I huffed and plopped down on the couch.

“You’ll be fine. Plus, I’ll check on you at all times, and I’ll send somebody to look after you,” he said.

“Who would that be?” I asked pointedly.

“They’ll be here, don’t you worry,” he said and leaned down to kiss my forehead. “I gotta go now. You be good, okay? And please, keep this house intact,” he said as of a warning.

“What are you talking about?”

“Nothing, just telling you to get your fingers out of the alcohol fridge, and eat!” he said, and looked at his phone. “Gotta run, still have to pick up Stephanie!” he said as he ran out the door.

Fuck you, sir.