‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

The Kind of Pain...

I was stunned at what he had said. I kept my façade though. I raised an eyebrow at him. “You know, I actually am, because I would never have thought that I’d fall for a lying asshole like you,” I glared. “So, if you’re here to rub that to my face, I suggest you leave right now, before I make you.”

“I really would, but I’m doing this for my sister and you know of the things I’d do for my sister. Even the things I don’t want to do,” he said through gritted teeth. I tried searching his eyes for any emotion, but he wouldn’t meet my eyes.

“Well then,” I said, stepping further from him, so I could look at him without looking up. “You should just give me my keys, so I can do my shit, and you can do yours. You can stay here for all I care, we could mind our own business and we’ll all be in peace,” I shrugged. He just stared at me, and I spun on my heel, towards the stairs. “Well, I guess I’m gonna have to find another way,” I called out behind me and ran up the stairs, grabbing my phone, looking through the contacts for the phone number that I had added on a few days ago.

“Hello?” they answered.

“Busy?”

“Nope, what’s up?”

“You think you can give me a ride to Beverly Hills?” I asked

“Sure thing. Be there in ten,” they said and hung up.

True to word, they were in ten minutes and gave me a call that they were at the front. I padded down the stairs with my phone and wallet, and the key to the mansion. As I walked out the door, I have to admit that I was surprised to see that Ryan was out there already, glaring at who was going to give me a ride to freedom.

“Gabriel, what are you doing here?” Ryan asked him, his back to me, keeping me from seeing his face. But looking at his stance and his clenched fist, and also by the tone of his voice, he sounded pissed off.

“None of your business,” Gabriel said.

“When did you get out?”

“A few months ago.”

“You should leave before I call the police,” Ryan threatened

“I don’t have to, Hazelyn didn’t file a restraining order,” he said. “I was requested for a ride, and I shall give it to her,” Gabriel said looking at me and winking. I smirked and walked over to him, giving him a hug.

“You called him?!” Ryan asked me hysterically.

“Yep,” I said popping the ‘p’. “Let’s go Gab,” I smiled at him and walked over to the passenger’s side of his blue corvette.

Let me get you caught up with what happened. I was walking around the mall a few days ago, and I bumped into him.

”Hazelyn?” I heard a voice from behind me. I spun around, and looked at who it was, and when I recognized him, I immediately flinched, and took a step back, planning my escape route. “Hazelyn, I’m not going to hurt you,” he said to me. I looked at him hesitantly.

“When did you get out?” I asked him cautiously.

“Two months ago,” he told me.

“Aren’t you under probation?” I asked.

“Yes, but you didn’t file a restraining order,” he said thoughtfully.

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m off to buy some new clothes, I need a new wardrobe,” he frowned.

“Seriously.”

“No, really. I just happened to bump into you,” he said. “Can we talk?” he asked.

“We have to stay here though,” I said to him.

He nodded. I walked up to him, and we began to walk and talk. “I’m sorry Hazelyn, I really didn’t have any intention of hurting you, or doing anything to harm you, it was nothing personal. It was because of Ryan, and payback. I didn’t know how good of a person you were, and I really, just didn’t know. I’m sorry, I hope we could start over again. As I told you, I’m not a bad person. I don’t disrespect ladies, much more rape them,” he said. I looked up at him, and saw sincerity in his eyes.

“It’s okay. I don’t hold grudges,” I smiled lightly at him. “So, should we start over?” I asked. He nodded at me, and held out his hand.

“I’m Gabriel Andrews,” he smiled. “Kyle’s older brother.”

“I’m Hazelyn DeLuca,” I smiled. “Tristan’s younger sister,” I grinned, shaking his hand.

“Whoa shit, wait. Tristan Macintosh?!” he gasped.

“Uhuh,” I nodded.

“Oh shit,” he mumbled. “Damn it! I’m so sorry Hazelyn! Agh! Your brother is going to fucking murder me!” he said running his fingers through his hair.

I chuckled. “What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him,” I smiled. “How do you know my brother?”

“We were friends before, we were in the basketball team together, and basically, I praise him,” he smiled. “How is he?”

“He’s great. He goes to UCLA, and he’s with Stephanie Dolciani now, it’s been two or three years already,” I chuckled.

“Oh finally! They’ve been practically eye-raping each other since senior year,” he scoffed. I raised an eyebrow at him. “Oops, sorry, it’s too early to make rape jokes, isn’t it?” he half smiled.

“Nah, it’s cool,” I chuckled. He stopped dead in his tracks, and gaped at me.

“Wait, you’re the Hazelyn Macintosh?!” he asked.

I rolled my eyes. “Why can’t people just ask ‘You’re Hazelyn Macintosh?’ they always have to add the ‘the’ in there,” I frowned.

“Sorry, it’s just that the public has never seen your face!” he smiled at me. I rolled my eyes and chuckled. We got along well. He’s not a bad guy. I helped him shop for a new wardrobe, which practically took us the whole fucking day. We had dinner together too, and exchanged numbers.

“If you need anything, let me know, I owe you,” he smiled at me as I got out of his car.

“I’ll hold you to that,” I grinned and walked into my house.


“Get back inside, Hazelyn,” Ryan said, not taking his eyes off Gabriel, whom looked bored, and unafraid at all.

“No thanks,” I smiled, and got into my seat. “Let’s go!” I called out to Gabriel, and he too got into his seat, and we backed out of my driveway, speeding off towards the mansion.

“So, can you explain to me why you didn’t listen to Ryan?” Gabriel asked half smirking.

“We broke up,” I said lamely.

“What?” he asked, coming into an abrupt stop in the middle of the road.

“We’re over. We broke up,” I rolled my eyes. “Is that so hard to understand?”

“Yes,” he said as if I was crazy.

“Why is that?” I asked.

“Because,” he said, as he put his car into the second gear and started driving again.

“Because,” I asked making motions for him to go on. “because you guys are inseparable!”

“That was three years ago, people grow tired of each other,” I explained.

“But you’re not tired of him,” he pointed out.

“Are you going to be taking Kyle’s place as my love guru for now?” I asked.

“I guess,” he smirked at me. “Now, tell me what happened. Every detail. Don’t leave anything out,” he said and I took a deep breath and began explaining.

For the twenty minute ride, I explained to him everything from the beginning to the end. We even stayed in the car in front of the mansion for 20 more minutes to explain the rest of the story.

“So, he tells you he loves you, and promises you stuff, and then a few weeks later, treats you like shit and forgets that he has a girlfriend while hanging out with the school slut, who ‘called dibs’ for him?” he asked doing the air quotes. I nodded. “And now, all your friends and family have gone, they left him to take care of you, and expect for you to stay sane?”

“Yup,” I said popping the ‘p’.

“You need better friends and family,” he stated bluntly.

“Tell me about it,” I huffed

“Well, are you doing anything today?” he asked.

“Yeah, I have to clean up that mansion, since I’ll be staying there for the next two weeks,” I said motioning to the huge building that we were parked in front of.

“You need help?”

“No, I’m okay, thank you though,” I smiled at him. “Thanks for saving me,” I said. “I’ll call you up sometime though and we’ll hang out,” I smiled. He nodded and I got out of the car. I waved at him as he drove out of our driveway, and exited the premises.

I walked up to the mansion and did all my technical stuff to open it and disarm the alarm. I walked in, and saw that everything was okay. Clean and maintained, which meant I had nothing to really take care of. Except for groceries.

I walked into my old room, which was filled with so much memories, so I decided not to stay there. I went over to the back garage where we kept all our cars, and I searched for one particular white car. I smiled when I spotted it, and grabbed the key for it from the cabinet. I skipped my way to it, getting into the driver’s seat. I frowned at the familiar scent, and opened the windows to let fresh air in, hoping that it would get rid of the scent.

I drove out of the property and made my way to whole foods and grab some food for myself for the next two weeks that I’ll be living in that huge mansion.

I drove back home after an hour and a half, with around 10 bags filled with food (which filled up my trunk and back seats). I also had to make several trips from the car to my kitchen to finally empty my car.

“Damn it,” I mumbled, as I jumped over the back of the couch, to lay down but I immediately jumped off, because I heard a grunt behind me, and felt that I had not landed on the cushion.

“What the fuck?” I asked him, my heartbeat racing.

“I was waiting for you and you took so long that I started to worry, but you changed your number, disabling me from contacting you and tracking you down,” he glared.

“How the fuck did you get in here?”

“You didn’t change the pass-lock,” he shrugged and sat up. “Where were you?” he demanded.

“I went for food,” I shrugged walking into the kitchen.

“What? Lunch with your almost-rapist?” he asked.

“None of your business,” I mumbled.

“Have you not learned your lesson yet? You almost got raped twice in the past, are you taking anymore risks for it to actually happen?!”

“You’re accusing him of wrong things. If you haven’t noticed, I’m alive, and I’m healthy. I have not been raped, or disrespected in any way,” I said to him.

“Healthy, no. Disrespected, maybe, I’d never know. Not raped, maybe, because it’s not called raped if it was done with consent,” he spat.

I gasped. “I am not that kind of person!” I defended, then quickly covered that statement with “plus, it’s none of your business, just like everything else is none of your business,” I spat. “So you should just leave me the fuck alone and let me deal with my shit because nothing is ever gonna be the same again, no matter what you try to do.”

“It is my business because so far, all of your actions all lead back to getting over me. You doing all this won’t help you to get over me. There’s no use denying it because I’ll know it’s pure bull. You love me, and we’re still over, stop getting your panties in a bunch,” he said. “Don’t take it the wrong way and think that I’m here to get you back, remember that I’m only doing what I was told to do. So, make this easy for the both of us, and just cooperate,” he sighed.

I gasped and shook my head, fighting the tears from running down my cheek. I grabbed my keys and my phone, along with my wallet, and ran out of there. I got into my Lamborghini and sped out of there as fast as I could, not caring about my safety. I didn’t know where I was going. All I knew is that I needed to get away. Get away from him, get away from my problems.

I didn’t know that I could be broken into more pieces than I was already in.

~/~/~/~/~


“What’s up?” Gabriel asked when he answered my call.

“Sorry Gab, but can you hang out with me?” I sobbed.

“I’ll be there in a few, where are you?”

“I’m on rodeo drive right now, in front of Chanel. I’m in a gray Lamborghini Gallardo.”

“Lambo- what?” he asked.

“Just come over here, please.”

“Sit still, I’ll be there.”

He was there within a few minutes. He parked beside me, turning his Hazard lights on. He then rolled down his window, and I rolled mine. “Follow me,” he said and inched forward, just enough for me to get out of my parallel parking spot. I gave him a quick honk and he started driving, with me on his tail.

We stopped at a restaurant with a huge parking lot, and parked next to each other. He got out of his car, and got into my passenger seat. I just sat there staring out the windshield, tears streaming down my face.

“Sorry, I just couldn’t find anybody to drag into my shitty life,” I said as straight as I could.

“No, it’s okay,” he said and grabbed my right hand form my steering wheel and held onto it. “We’re friends now, right? You can call me when you need me,” he said to me. I looked at him, and even though my eyes were clouded by my tears, I could see the small smile etched onto his face. “So now, you should tell me what’s up?”

“I can’t anymore. I can’t face him. I can’t even bear to know that we’re in the same city limits,” I cried. “He’s too much. He just rubbed in my face that we’re over and it’s not going to change. He basically just stomped and broke me into more and more pieces,” I sobbed. “I can’t do it anymore Gab. It’s too much. I can’t live with this kind of pain,” I looked at him desperately.

“What are you talking about, Hazelyn?” he asked carefully.

“I think You know what I’m talking about.”