‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Never Back Out

“Are you ready?” Stephanie asked from beside me. We were both in front of the mirror, looking at ourselves, and making last minute touches to our outfits for the engagement party. Also, the day that we are to announce our relationship to the public.

“As ready as I ever will be,” I smiled lightly at her. She seemed more nervous that I was, and I was pretty damn nervous.

“Ah fuck, can’t believe this,” she cried and hugged me. “I- ugh! We’re gonna be sister-in-law’s!” she squealed. I chuckled and she pulled away from my grasp. “I know I haven’t told you this, but I’m happy that it’s you that my brother picked. I cannot find a better girl for him than you. You’ve changed him for the better, and as cheesy as that sounds, it’s true. Three years ago, I was expecting him to impregnate about five girls already, and I honestly think it’s a miracle that he kept his hands off you,” she chuckled lightly. “Anyways, the point is, I welcome you to our family, as if you’re not already a part of it,” she chuckled and hugged me again.

“Girls, no tears please?” my fiancé walked into the room, and hugged me immediately.

“Please, bro. Don’t be flattered. These tears are because of sorrow. I feel sorry for this poor girl for being stuck with you,” she sighed. I smiled at the two, laughing at how silly they were.

“Let’s get the show on the road guys! Everyone’s outside! The media, everyone!” Tristan announced. I groaned, and sat on the couch. “Wrong things to say?” he asked.

“Totally babe, totally,” Stephanie shook her head while chuckling and kissed his cheek. “Pep talk her, we’ll be waiting outside, but don’t mess up anything!” Stephanie warned her brother and dragged my brother out.

“Are you sure? You can still back out,” Ryan said to me.

“Sure,” I nodded and stood up.

“Good, because I would’ve gone insane if you backed out,” Ryan let out fast, along with the breath he’s been holding.

“I’ll never back out,” I said and kissed him on the lips before exiting the room.

“So, tonight’s a special night. Two of the people that are close to us are announcing publicly their engagement and of course their love for each other, and though young, we know that what they feel for each other is real,” Stephanie’s voice rang the whole auditorium that we rented out somewhere in Beverly Hills. “Let’s welcome, Ryan Jerome Forbes Dolciani, and Hazelyn Mae Macintosh DeLuca, soon to be Dolciani,” she cheered, and everyone else’s clapped rung throughout the whole place. I glanced at Ryan nervously, and he gave me an encouraging smile, not bothering to hide the excitement in them.

“I love you,” he smiled at me.

“I love you too,” I grinned before we entered the room, all eyes on us, cameras flashing and video cameras recording. We made our way to the stage, and everyone went quiet. “Good evening everyone,” I greeted nervously. Everyone started chuckling lightly. “I don’t really know what I'm supposed to say right now, but here it goes. Hello guys! Yeah, I’m engaged to Ryan, my boyfriend of three years, and also my bestfriend,” I chuckled and everyone else did too along with ‘awwws’. “I know some of you might not like the idea of us getting into this too soon, and all that, but we both assure you that we’ve proven to each other how much we need each other, and we both know we can’t live without each other.

“Most of you probably already knew about us, and some might’ve not. Most knew from the beginning, when it all started during our senior year in high school. But just a couple months ago, we broke things off because there had been rough paths along in our relationship, and that’s when we knew,” I glanced at Ryan who’s eyes looked directly back at me, love evident in the gleam in his eyes. “We knew that no matter what kind of crap the world puts us through, we’ll get through it together. And at that point, we knew it’s either we break up, or we end up together, and I guess we figured that we’re not breaking up, so we’re getting married,” I laughed. “It was actually out of nowhere, since we just woke up, and he started being the king of whipped cheese, and out of nowhere he tells me that we should get married, and I thought he was kidding, but he was dead serious. I guess here we are now, letting you all know,” I smiled at them. “I hope you guys support us and give us your blessing,” I said and gave the microphone to Ryan.

“Hey guys,” he started adorably. “I’m glad that you guys are here, and Hazelyn here already said all that has been said. We just both wanna thank everyone for being here, and being able to share this moment with us,” he said “Oh and I guess Hazelyn wanted me to do the announcement,” he playfully glared at me. Stephanie and Tristan looked at each other with raised eyebrows, and shrugging, telling each other that they had no idea at the announcement that Ryan was about to make. “We’ve set a date, and it’s going to be a summer wedding. This summer, after Hazelyn turns twenty one,” he said and gave the microphone back to Stephanie.

Everyone was quiet for a moment, even our siblings, until I heard Luke whistle and hoot, and everyone erupted in cheers. I was then engulfed in a hug by my soon to be sister in law and Ryan was hugged by my brother.

Let the party begin.

We first had dinner, and after that the tables were cleared and it immediately became a dance party after most of the older ones left. The bar at the corner, the DJ up at front, music blasting, colorful lights all over the room, bodies dancing. It was a party, alright.

“Hey, you think I can dance with you?” Kyle asked. I chuckled and nodded, pulling away form Ryan after giving him a kiss- and went to dance with Kyle. “I actually got you away from your fiancé,” he teased.

“Please, you can get me away from him anytime,” I winked.

“Is that a suggestion, DeLuca?” he chuckled.

“Yes! That you should take me out sometime! We haven’t had a Kyle-Hazelyn bonding time since senior year!” I pouted. “You’ve had your Sammy-boo with you.”

“How about Friday?” he asked.

“Of course!” I smiled.

~/~/~/~/~


“Hazelyn! Wake up! You’re on the news!” Ryan jumped on my bed.

“That’s not good,” I mumbled and looked at the TV.

“Last night at 7:00 pm, Ryan Dolciani and Hazelyn DeLuca Macintosh had announced their relationship publicly. Turns out that Hazelyn, whom had been in plain sight the whole time as Ryan’s bestfriend had been the girlfriend the whole time, and now fiancé. They had also announced when their wedding will be, which would be this summer, said by Ryan, that it would be after Hazelyn’s birthday. What do you all think? Yay or a nay?” the anchor asked. E! news. I hate E! news. “Go to our website and vote!”

“Ugh,” I groaned and went back to bed.

“Are you regretting it?” Ryan asked.

“No, I’m just sleepy,” I assured him.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“Totally, now huggle with me before I do,” I mumbled and he immediately jumped next to me, giving me a huggle. Yes a hug and a cuddle put together. A huggle.

~/~/~/~/~


After a week of our engagement party, the media kind of died down, thank goodness, because I do not know how much more reporters I’m going to have to ignore so I can mind my business. But then again, I saw this coming already.

We were on our way to a dinner with Trisha, her friends and Ryan’s and I’s friends when he got called over to the store, they said it was an emergency.

“You can go ahead, I’ll take care of it,” he assured me.

“No, I’ll go with you,” I smiled at him. He nodded and drove over to the mall.

“What’s the emergency?” he asked when we were at the back of the store.

“Ryan…,” I heard a voice say, making me grind my teeth.

Audrey.