‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Not the Last

“So, you share a room with Kyle?” I asked when Ryan, not looking up from my book as he walked in. I was laying on my bed facing the door with the book on my lap.

“Yup, so you don’t have to worry about me taking home other chicks,” he said pushing the book down so he could see my face. He leaned down and kissed me lightly.

“I’d find out either way, you know,” I smirked at him.

“I know you would,” he grinned.

“So, news,” I reminded him.

He beamed at me. “So, as of today,” he paused. I motioned for him to go on. “I’m on the school’s football team!” he cheered.

“Oh fuuuuck no,” I stood up facing him.

“What? You’re not happy?”

“No,” I frowned.

“Why the hell not?” he retorted.

“Because! You can get hurt! High school football was nothing, but this is college football. This is dangerous!” I argued.

“That’s why we have protective gear!” he frowned.

“What if you sprain something? Break something? Get a concussion? What would I do then?! Huh?”

“The same risks that you take when you snowboard,” he argued.

“It’s not the same!”

“It is the same! Plus, in snowboarding you only have a wrist-guard and a helmet. In football we have all that padding and support!”

“It’s not the same!”

“It is the same! You love snowboarding, just as I love football. You’re not giving snowboarding up, so I refuse to give up football,” he said firmly.

“You snowboard too!” I retorted

“You don’t see me jumping off a helicopter 75 feet from the ground. You don’t see me in a verge of causing an avalanche. You don’t see me almost crashing into trees. I only do the simple stuff. Hell, the worst I’ve done was jump off a ramp, and went 30 feet above ground” he argued. “Do you know what I go through everytime you go heli-boarding?” he asked me, his voice begging me.

“Ugh, you’re so difficult! Get out!” I growled, my stubbornness taking over me.

“What the fuck?”

“You heard me damn well, get the fuck out.” I glared at him. I expected for him to have soft eyes, but I was mistaken. He returned my hard glare with his own hard glare.

“Fine, and I thought you were going to support me,” he shook his head and slammed the door on his way out.

“Fucking bitch!” I screamed into my pillow. I laid back down on my bed, tears in my eyes. I can't believe that we’re fighting over stupid sports! What the hell? I shook my head and stood up, grabbing my keys, phone and wallet - stuffing them into my back pockets - and exited my room, slamming the door behind me. I went over to my car, and sped off to the closest ice cream place that I could think of.

I ended up in Piedmont, where this awesome ice cream place was. Fenton’s. I got a huge cup of swiss-milk chocolate ice cream and milkshake. I took a seat under one of the small umbrella’s outside. I angrily started chugging on my milkshake and attacked my ice cream.

“Looks like somebody’s having a rough day,” I heard a voice from the side. I looked up and saw my brother.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” I mumbled.

“I followed you out of the campus. You seemed pissed, so I didn’t get in your way,” he said putting his hands up in surrender.

I sighed. “Good idea,” I told him. “Well? I don’t get a hug?” I asked. He rolled his eyes and me and stood up, then leaning down to give me a hug.

“I was just visiting to talk to you about the presentation that mom’s making you do, but this doesn’t seem to be a good time so I’ll go with asking about what’s bothering you,” he pointed out.

“Well, let’s say Ryan and I got in a fight,” I sighed.

“You lie,” he accused.

“You think I’d lie about that?” I frowned.

“Point taken.” He sighed. “Go on.”

“Well, it was about sports,” I frowned.

“You always fight about sports,” he laughed.

“No, I mean, he joined the football team, and I got upset because it’s dangerous and he pointed out that I snowboard, which is more dangerous,” I sighed.

“You’re both right,” he smirked.

“Don’t you smirk at me, Nathan,” I glared.

“No, really. It is dangerous. When you do backcountry, you do put your life on the line, probably more than Jay does,” he told me.

“Did I overreact?” I frowned.

“Kind of,” he smiled lightly.

“I should apologize?”

“You should,” he confirmed.

“I’ll apologize later, right now, my brother is here and I wanna hang out with him,” I smiled at him. “So, what are you doing here? Seriously?”

“I missed you,” he shrugged.

“You’re dumb,” I shook my head at him.

“I haven’t seen my little sister all summer, am I wrong?” he chuckled.

“Ehhh, I’m not surprised. I am the best sister ever,” I smirked at him.

“Don’t be too full of yourself, if you didn’t know, I could be visiting Jay but I felt the obligation to follow after my sister,” he stuck his tongue out at me.

I glared at him and was about to say something back but I heard a familiar high pitched voice behind me.

“Hazelyn!” she squealed. “I didn’t expect to run into you out here,” she smiled giving me a hug.

“Oh, hey Audrey,” I smiled tightly.

“Who’s that?” she asked me, eyeing my brother.

“Oh, this is Nate. Nate, Audrey. Audrey, Nate,” I smiled at him.

“Is this the bestfriend?” she asked. I just gave her a look and didn’t answer. “Well, he is hot,” she whispered towards me. Though I think Nate was supposed to hear it, since it was pretty loud. He just raised an eyebrow at me and smirked as I was about to puke. “Well, it’s nice to meet you, finally,” she reached out a hand to my brother who - out of politeness shook it. “I have cheerleading practice and I heard that Jay got into the football team,” she winked at me. “I’ll catch you later,” she said and walked away towards her Mercedes.

“Did she think that I was Jay? Wait, does she know you and Jay are going out? Fill me in please?” Nate told me.

“Well, no PDA on school grounds, meaning nobody can know about us. Plus the media and all that crap. I don’t have much friends on campus, so yeah,” I frowned. “Her dad’s the dean,” I said.

“That explains,” he smirked. One of the things I’ve always loved about Nate? I don’t have to tell the whole story. He just gets it.

~/~/~/~/~


“Thanks for today bro,” I said when I got out of my car. We were back in Palo Alto and in front of my dorm. “I needed it,” I said and hugged him. He hugged me back over the console.

“Anytime. Oh and don’t hesitate to give me a call, yeah? The headquarters isn’t far,” he assured and kissed my forehead.

“Totally,” I smiled and pulled away from his grasp. “Go visit Ryan, you know you missed him too. Oh and he’s rooming with Kyle. I’ll talk to him in the morning,” I told him.

“Sure will, goodnight,” he smiled at me.

“Goodnight,” I smiled back and he walked away from me towards his car. When I saw him drive away, I made my way to my room. When I opened the door, I almost jumped back out. “What the fuck?” I asked clutching my chest.

“I think I should be asking that,” he growled.

I sighed. “I’m sorry Ry,” I said and sat down on the bed, looking up at him, since he was leaning against my bed post. “I don’t have the right to tell you what to do, what sport to play, and whatever. You had a point,” I sighed.

“So, you’re sorry?” he asked.

“Yes,” I sighed and looked up pleadingly at him.

“I forgive you,” he told me, but he didn’t come any closer. I was expecting him to give me a hug and kiss me senseless apologizing as well. “Though, I don’t understand why you’d go out with another guy when you’re in a fight with your boyfriend,” he glared.

My eyes widened. I wanted to laugh, but I kept a straight face. “Dolciani, do you trust me?” I asked him.

“Yes,” he said seriously.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

I walked over to him and stopped right in front of him. “Do you really think I’d go out with somebody else when we’re fighting?”

He hesitated. “Is that a trick question?”

“No,” I said to him.

“Well, I don’t think so, but you know I’m paranoid,” I was starting to break his firm-front.

I tip-toed and pulled his head down to meet his lips to mine. “It was Nate.”

“Your brother? Are you serious?” he pulled away from me and smacked his forehead. “I got jealous of your brother?!” he said with a smug look on his face. “Damn,” He frowned. “This whole thing is fucked up,” he frowned, sitting down on the bed.

“Man, I love you so much that I love this jealous side of you,” I smiled and sat on his lap.

“You’re entertained?” he smirked at me.

“Yes,” I smiled.

He flipped us over so I was laying down and he was hovering over me. “How about now?”

“Still entertained,” I smirked.

“Really?” he whispered against my lips and attacked it. I chuckled and kissed him back.

“Ew, not here,” I heard Sam from the door.

“Cockblocker!” Ryan pointed at Sam and Kyle who was beside her.

“Please, even if we didn’t come in, Hazelyn’s too pure for that,” Kyle scoffed. “You’re corrupting the poor thing.

I shrugged. “True,” I grinned. “Oh, and by the way guys, Nate’s on his way to your apartment,” I smirked.

Both boys looked at each other wide-eyed. “See you, call you later,” they both called out and sprinted out of the room.

“What the fuck?” Sam and I looked at each other, laughing.

“I will never get their bromace,” she looked at me with a laugh.

“He’s a keeper,” I said to myself and smiled.

… I have a feeling that’s not the last fight …
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you guys think! :)