‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Falling Apart

“LUKEY!” I grinned and ran towards him.

“Lyniee!” Luke chuckled and ran towards me too.

“You guys are gonna die if Jay sees that,” Kyle said from behind me.

“Out of all the people Kyle, you’d know best that he wouldn’t give a damn,” I sneered at him. He looked taken aback. “Sorry, I sighed. He nodded understanding me, and smiled at the guys, hugging each of them.

“You shall introduce us,” Mason said from behind Luke, and everyone else behind him.

“I shall,” I grinned.

“Guys, these are my friends from Santa Monica. Kyle and his girlfriend Samantha. They’re both taken,” I chuckled. They all let out playful groans. “Sorry guys, Kyle doesn’t swing your way,” I said to them. They all again let out playful grunts. We all laughed and it was the guys’ turn to get introduced.

“Sam, Kyle, these are the guys. Professional snowboarders. They’re in a group called Frends. With no I,” I smiled. “This right here is Luke, the ass hole behind him is Mason, the weirdo behind him is Kevin, the other ass behind him is Jack, that dumb fuck is Danny, and that Loser at the very back, is Scotty,” I introduced.

“Hey!” they all protested.

“How come Luke didn’t get a mean name?” Mason pouted.

“Because I’m awesome, bitch,” Luke laughed.

“Whoa shit, it is them,” Samantha mumbled.

“What do you mean?”

“I thought I was dreaming.”

We all laughed. “So, I guess you’re a fan?” Lago asked.

“Hell to the fuck yes Lago!” she grinned widely. “Your Olympic run? Epic,” she commented. He did a bow and smiled.

“Oh fuck,” he mumbled and hid behind Danny. “Her boyfriend is glaring at me,” he whispered loudly, causing all of us to crack up.

We all went to the Cabin to drop off our stuff. It was within the ‘village’ of Mt. Rose, which was awesome. We then made our way to the marketplace, where we grabbed stuff to cook, since the guys wanted Hazelyn to cook. Lucky Hazelyn right? Right.

Everyone was getting along well, which was never really a problem for me. As everyone was eating breakfast, and it was still around 7:30, and lifts don’t open until 9, I walked outside and out the balcony.

“Hey, you going to tell us what’s wrong?” Luke asked, with Lago behind him with chairs.

I eyed the chairs. “I was thinking it was a long story,” he smirked at me and set down the chairs.

“It’s Ryan…,” I sighed and began to tell them.

By the time I finished they had blank looks on their faces. “I’d say you’re lying, but I doubt you’d lie about things like this,” Scotty said. I pursed my lips and sighed.

“Lyn, I’ve seen how much Jay loves you. They way he looks at you, the way he acts around you. How protective he is of you. I know you love him more than anything else, besides snowboarding of course, but if he’s hurting you, then I don’t know if he’s good for you,” Luke sighed.

“I know,” I mumbled. “But I can't let go of him,” I looked at both of them pleadingly. They gave me sympathizing looks.

“I’m sorry Hazelyn, but may I be completely honest with you?” Scotty asked. I nodded. He took a deep breath and looked at me straight in the eye. “Love is like snowboarding in many ways. When you look at somebody snowboarding for the first time, or even doing a trick, it looks easy and you say that it’s easy. But the truth is, it’s very hard. You strap into that board for the first time and you try to stand up. The truth is, you WILL fall. It is hard. You realize that. Just like love. You look at everyone and it seems to be that love is the perfect thing for you, that it’s easy and carefree but there are so much more stuff that comes with it.

“First time snowboarding, and getting that courage to strap yourself on that board, it makes an automatic decision that you will try it. Like love, when you step into it, you get into that whole mess. When you try something in snowboarding and you get it, you learn how to do your S turns for the first time, you master it, and you’re happy. You land that trick you’ve been working your ass off on, you feel top of the world. Just like love, when you get the person you want in your arms, it’s as if nothing can destroy it, nothing can ruin your day.

“As time passes by, you wanna try something new in snowboarding. Either you want to progress in the terrain you are riding in, or you want to learn Torstein Horgmo’s triple corkscrew. You don’t know if you’d be able to land it on the first try, most likely you’d fall flat on your ass, or maybe do a faceplant. But you never know, you just might land it. You keep trying because maybe the next time you try it, you’ll land it.

“And just like love, you try something new, say something new, let that person know something new about you, and you never know where that could lead. You’re scared in both scenarios.

“When you don’t land that first try of trying out your trick? What do you do? You get up right? NO matter how much you’ve fallen flat on your ass, how many faceplants you’ve done, how many involuntary somersaults and backflips, no matter how many sprained wrists and ankles, no matter how many broken bones, no matter how many trees you’ve run into, what do you do? You get back up and try again. You try and try again. Just like love, no matter how much it breaks you down, no matter how much shit it puts you through, you get back up and fight for that person.

“Have you ever realized why you get back up and try again, Hazelyn?” he asked me.

“Because I love snowboarding,” I simply said.

“Exactly. And because we snowboarders, at the end of the day, we know that it’s worth it. The pain that we go through, it’s worth it, because we love the sport. Just like love, no matter how much the person hurts you, puts you down, throws you around, you get back up and try again, together. Just like the relationship between your board and you. You’re ONE, you have both feet strapped onto your board, not just half. You work TOGETHER with your board, and not just you alone. Your bond is within your binding, without your binding, you can’t work together with your board, and depending on what binding you have, whether it’s strong or not, is like the bond between the two of you. The binding is like your love for each other,” He said to me and took a deep breath.

“What I’m trying to say is, that we do all these things because it’s worth it. Is he worth it Hazelyn? Do you love him enough to go through anything with him?” he asked. I just looked at him. He smiled softly at me. “You don’t have to answer me now. It’s a lot to take in and a huge decision to make. But right now, we have a mountain to rip up, an audience to awe and snowboards to bond with,” he smiled, standing up.

He held out a hand for me and I took it, standing up with him. He smiled at me and walked back inside, leaving me with the younger Mitrani. “When you’ve made your decision, don’t hesitate to come to us, we’ve got your back Lynie, no matter what,” he said grabbing me for a hug.

“Agh, I love you,” I smiled at him and hugged him back to.

“Love you too girly, now go get ready. We’ve got a mountain to shred,” he smiled at me and pushed me inside.

~/~/~/~/~


“Holy fuckerdy doo, you should join us,” Mason said when I finished my run on the pipe. “I swear you can beat Shaun!” he shouted.

“Beat who?” I heard a guy said from behind Mason.

“You!” Mason laughed.

“Oh yeah?” the guy taunted.

“Hell yeah White, this chick can shred better than you,” Jack smiled wrapping an arm around me.

“This must be Hazelyn Mae,” he said taking off his goggles, and shook his hand.

“Holy shit,” my eyes widened and shakily took his hand for a handshake. “Shaun White knows my name,” I squeaked. The three guys laughed.

“I’ve heard good stuff about you,” he smiled. I giggled. Okay, Shaun wasn't the hottest guy here, but damn he was good. He was my crush in snowboarding. Well, if you couldn’t see his face and his hair.

“Holy fuckerdy doo,” I heard Samantha squeak from behind me.

“And you pretty lady are?” Shaun asked.

“Samantha, Hazelyn’s friend,” she said shaking Shaun’s hand.

“Well, Ms. Hazelyn, and Ms. Samantha, would you care for a small friendly competition?” he asked.

“OH not me, I’m not in that level at all, not even close,” she scoffed. “but Hazelyn here would love to take that offer,” Samantha pushed me forward.

“Bitch,” I mumbled.

“Let’s go,” he smiled and we both got on separate snowmobiles that took us to the top of the pipe. Quicker than the lift.

They cleared the pipe, had photographers around and videographers and we started our run. We had so many audiences, which made me nervous.

“You’ll do amazing,” I could imagine Ryan’s voice. But instead I heard it in Luke’s. I smiled and him and we fist bumped before I gave my all.

We did 2 runs and after mine, I was at the bottom, gasping for air. Everyone was cheering. They announced that I had beaten Shaun.

“Well, Hazelyn Mae, you are good,” he shook his head. “I demand a rematch,” he smiled. “I went easy on you!”

“Pfft! I beat Shaun White! I wont do a rematch!” I stuck my tongue out at him.

“You’re good…,” he paused. “What’s your last name?”

“DeLuca,” I grinned.

“Well, you’re really good DeLuca. I expect to see you in the next X-games. Maybe compete in the men’s division,” he chuckled. We all laughed. We then decided to grab lunch back down at the lodge.

~/~/~/~/~

~Scotty POV~

I looked at Hazelyn and she seemed thrilled. She’s always so carefree, which makes her even more awesome than she already is. I smiled as she looked at me and winked. I chuckled and winked back at her. My phone rang and looked at the caller ID.

I looked around, and it seemed to be that Hazelyn was the center of attention, so I snuck out of the cabin slowly, answering the call.

“Hey man,” I answered.

“Hey Scotty, where you guys at?”

“Mt. Rose.”

“I’m here too, you wanna chill?”

“Fosho man, when and where?”

“Meet you at the village in 10? I’ll introduce people to you.”

“Yeah man, I’ll see you, I’m here already.”

“Cool, make it 5 then, front of the main lift?”

“Yeah, cool. Peace,” I said and walked back inside.

“Where’d you go?” Hazelyn asked me.

“Phone call,” I smiled at her.

“Oh, well, did you eat?”

“Yeah. Hey, I gotta run, but I’ll meet up with you guys tonight or later this afternoon, is that cool?”

“Totally, have fun Lago,” she smiled and hugged me.

“Will do, tell everyone for me?” she nodded and I smiled grabbing my Jacket and my board.

I walked to where we agreed to meet up and I saw him. He was with a group of guys and girls, and there was a particular girl that I saw next to him. I wanted to shoot him. I played it cool and walked towards their group.

“Lago,” Jay greeted.

“Dolciani,” I smiled giving him a manhug.

“I want you to meet some people,” he said. “These are the guys from the football team. Mark, Leon, Gio, Jose, Darwin and Seth, and these are our lovely cheerleaders, Audrey, Crystal, Dianne, Melina, Alona and Jhoanna,” he said. “Guys, this is Scotty Lago, professional snowboarder, he was in the Olympics last year,” he smiled. The girls squealed and gathered all over me. “Ready for runs?” he asked everyone. They nodded and we all made our way up to the mountain.

“Hey, Ry, where’s Lyn?” I asked. I already knew that these people didn’t know about Lyn, but I wanted to see how he’d react.

“Oh, uhm..,” he paused and looked around the cable car. “We’ll talk later?” he asked. I nodded.

“Who’s Lyn?” Audrey asked, who was sitting next to him, practically on his lap.

“Uhm.. a.. uhmm,” he looked at me, pleading to not blurt out the truth.

What will you say, Dolciani?