A Title that could not be though of

Chapter Two

The rest of the school day might as well have not happened, Dib didn’t pay any attention, his mind was too far gone. Why would Zim dismiss such an act? He was thankful he had, but why was it so important for them to forget about it?
The rest of the day might as well have not happened, Dib didn’t pay any attention, his mind was too far gone. Why would Zim dismiss such an act? He was thankful he had, but why was it so important for them to forget about it?
Dib trudged home, hands in his pockets; he studied the ground as if it interested him. Zim had left school after their last encounter, and Dib was happy he had. It would have been pitifully awkward to see him around school after what happened, and apparently, Zim thought so too.
He sighed, what was going to happen now? What would become of their relationship? Dib pinched the bridge of his nose, could this… this thing work out between the two of them? What was he kidding, the Irk hated him all the same, it was just unfortunate that his curious mind had lead him to such intrusive actions. He would have to find some sort of solution before he was driven completely mad.
“HEY! Hey you! Freak!” A shout came from across the street from a couple thugs from school.
“Shit.” Dib hissed under his breath, these delinquents never gave him a break, ever since middle skool. Dib had been ridiculed for his beliefs, an occurrence that has happened many times in human history, sure, but something that never seemed to grow old in the minds of school children, looking for entertainment an acceptance of there own. But it wasn’t as if the hoodlums thought that deeply about it, they just wanted to kick a few geek asses.
“Dib! Where are you going? Off to find Chewbacca or something?” The two stalked toward him, Dib trying to avoid them all the way.
“Chewbacca? I think you mean Sasquatch, and no, I was just- ugh!” A hard blow to the stomach interrupted his corrections. Dib fell to his knees, eyes watering in pain.
“Shut up! We don’t give a damn about you or your crazy ideas.” The taller, and beefier of the two gripped Dib by the hair, forcing him to look up. He groaned, fighting the tears; whispering past winded lungs, he glared at his aggressors,
“Then tell me, sirs, what exactly do you want from me?” He pulled at the rough hold on his hair, “And let go of me you bulging idiot!” The hand on his hair tightened, pulling him to his feet again. The smaller of the two removed Dib’s hands from the other’s forearm, restraining them behind his back, strong enough to leave bruises. Another collision came to the side of his face, quite effectively silencing him. He lost his glasses as his head was knocked to the right, not that he needed them, his vision was a dizzying mix of pitch back, and white spots.
“You really bug the crap outta me.” was the only justification that was given for the beating, although he was doing a fine job despite the inadequate reasoning. Dib didn’t have to see to know how close the other’s face was to his, he could smell the alcohol on the heavy teen’s breath. Excellent, violent and drunk.
This was a more recent occurrence now than it had been when he was younger. Dib didn’t often walk home alone, he was usually with, well, with Zim. But it wasn’t as if the experience was ever peaceful, they almost routinely fought although he wasn’t picked on as much when there were others around.
The breath on his neck wreaked of drink as well, he was in hot water here. They were completely out of their minds, although they never had much to begin with. The next blow was to his ribcage, and strong enough to make him cry out, if only he could. The sky was purpling, along with Dib’s new bruises, and he was alone.
The sound of someone clearing their throat stopped a fist, and the hold on Dib’s arms loosened.
“Zim!” The shorter of the duo called out happily. Zim?! Dib lifted his head, searching for the face he knew he wouldn’t see.
“Jesus Zim,” it was the fat one this time, “Don’t scare us like that man!” There was silence on the other side of this conversation, Dib was struggling to follow. The boy behind him cackled,
“Hey dude, want in?” He pushed Dib forward as a kind of offer, his grip renewed. Still quiet. Dib felt a hand on his cheek, Zim. He wasn’t friend with these delinquents, even Dib knew that, they just knew better than to get on his bad side; he wasn’t so merciful with people like them as he was with Dib, not anymore.
“Zim?” Dib’s voice was strange to him, he was quiet, hoarse. A rough hand slapped the back of his head,
“Shut up we told you!” One of the other two. Dib searched his blurry, water colored world, looking for the ruby eyes. A low growl was all Dib heard.
“Take your hand’s off him.” Zim said, low, calm. They didn’t move, Dib trembled.
“ But,” there was another pause, they looked at each other, “but we just started.”
“And now you’re done!” He was angry suddenly, and very loud. All hands on Dib dropped then,
“Fine, fine, no need to get pissy.” Footsteps receded, Dib fell back to his knees, coughing.
“Cowards.” Zim knelt beside Dib, retrieving his glasses from where the had fallen. “Are you okay?”
Dib took the glasses, looking finally on Zim’s, exceptionally worried expression. He smiled to the Irken, a pitiful attempt at best, his cheek was swelling and tender, and his eyes overflowing with tears of pain.
“How do I look?” He raised an eyebrow at the taller boy, and Zim smiled back,
“Sarcasm in the face of danger Dib-thing? You’re a bigger moron than I give you credit for.” He wrapped an arm around Dib’s middle, pulling him up off the ground, other arm under his knees. It was a bridal-style rescue.
“I think they broke something.” Dib winced as he was carried.
“Something of yours?” Zim looked him over again.
“No shit.” Zim frowned, and looked away from the boy’s face. Dib rested his head on Zim’s shoulder, hell with their ‘situation’, he was tired.
“Speaking of, that’s what you look like.” Zim said after a heavy sigh.
“What?”
“You asked what you looked like, and I compared you to shit. Do you have brain damage?” Maybe he did, Dib wouldn’t be surprised. He grunted his recognition of the insult. Zim dropped Dib then, who landed with a shriek into the passenger’s seat of Zim’s cruiser. Damn, Dib never got to enjoy his time in this amazing ship, investigation would have to wait until later, maybe he could steal it sometime.
The ship had been hidden in an alley a few buildings away from the fight, how long had Zim been there? Had he watched his little brawl?
“How did you know where I was?” The two had been silent for a while, Zim driving in the general direction of Dib’s house, debating whether or not to take Dib to a hospital. He took his eyes off the wheel of a moment when Dib asked his question.
“Do you need doctors or home?” A pair of eyes ran down Dib’s body once more, checking for blood and/or protruding bones.
“You followed me from school, didn’t you?”
“I don’t think your earth doctors are adequate, I could take you to base, if you really need it.” His eyes shifted back to the sky as he talked.
“When did you stop hating me?” Dib sat up straighter, minding his sore side.
“But then, your parental unit might miss you at your home.” Zim continued his outward thinking without Dib.
“We’re having two different conversations aren‘t we?” He was beginning to get annoyed with this one-sided banter.
“No, I am just pretending that you are, saying different things.”
“Then why listen to me?” Zim shot a quick look back a Dib, contacts still in.
“Why what?” Dib huffed, folding his arms over his chest. He looked like a child, even ruffled as he was. Zim smiled, this kind of fight was different, not as much yelling, even though Dib’s tone was becoming more agitated. He chuckled, Dib watching him, puzzled.
They landed in the back of Dib’s house, Zim walking to Dibs side of the ship to retrieve the smaller boy. Dib waved off the helping hand, clambering out of his seat to the dirt-ground of his backyard.
“I’m not a child, Zim, I can get out on my own.” He looked a little hurt by the statement, and Dib was quick to apologize,
“But if it wasn’t for you, earlier, I… well I don’t know.” A look of fury flashed across Zim’s face for a moment, but it passed quickly, and he was smiling again,
“Is that a thank you?” Dib returned the smile, a much more real one this time around,
“Yeah, I know, it’s a weird day.” He held a hand to his abused cheek, already turning color. This wasn’t something new for Zim to see, their fights often ended with both of them worse than Dib felt now, and he was bruising all over. His arms were painted with the thick-fingered grasp of his previous aggressor, and Zim was sure he was purple under his shirt as well; those fat worm-babies packed quite the punch (all to literally).
He clicked his tongue, running a claw lightly over the other’s discolored arm. Dib tried -and failed- to hide the light blush in his face.
“To bed with poor, defenseless Dib-monkey.” He smiled lightly to soften the insult, it worked, if only a little. Dib kept his angry comments to himself, allowing the taller teen to lead him towards the back door. Sure, Dib could have fought back against those other boys, but for what? An outnumbered, and probably more aggressive beating? He would pass, thanks. And Zim had been there to frighten them away.
He never understood how Zim could even frighten people in the first place, Dib was never too scared of him. The threat he constantly posed to his planet was worrisome, but as an individual Zim was relatively common in Dib’s eyes now that he had spent a few years on Earth.
Everything was darkening now, the sun desperately clinging to the sky. Dib looked to Zim, who was peering cautiously into the glass door to the house.
“No one’s home.” Dib said quietly.
“Hmm, alright.” He shrugged, he couldn’t care less about the rest of Dib’s relations. Zim turned, “I will be returning to base now.” The shorter boy nodded in understanding. He slid the door open quickly, ready for sleep already.
“I won’t be at school tomorrow.”
“Fine.” Came the far off answer, Zim already halfway back to the ship. No goodbye, it was just as well, it was Zim he was talking to, it wasn‘t as if he would get a hug and a soft ‘be safe’ from the invader. And he didn’t want one, not at all.
Opening the hatch-door, Zim stepped in, starting the engine and hovering low above the grass. And then he was gone, speeding towards home.
Zim contemplated the day’s events, Dib’s injuries, his actions, the fight. The fight. He had seen it, all of it. The shady figures watching as Dib passed them by, he could have walked right by Zim from where he hid. They called to him, took hold of him, and brought him down. He fully intended to let it happen too, he always got a kick out of stuff like this. But what? No resistance? No squirming… nothing? It was ever any fun when the other party didn’t put up a fight. The worm-babies continued anyway, unfazed. There was no reason for any of it, and Dib was stiffly still. Strange, he never allowed Zim to get away with anything, why the pigs? Another strike.
Dib suddenly looked a lot smaller than usual, and more vulnerable. He didn’t make a sound, his watery eyes darted about, he was blinded without his glasses. There was fear, and pain, quite common for a street beating, not so common that Zim would care about what happened next. He stood from his position, -leaned casually on the alley wall- and walked, all to quickly, to the small Dib.
These kinds of fights were just entertainment, like watching a dog fight. It was just a bunch of mindless animals trying their damned best to kill one-another, it never mattered. And yet, there Zim was, rushing in to break it all up, when had that happened?
And then Dib screamed. It was more of a painful grunt actually, loud and high. But Zim could feel his insides twist at the sound, and for a moment, he felt anger. Sad, pitying, protective anger. So much for this ‘experiment’ Zim had planned, damn it all. And the look in his eyes, big and lost, he looked like an abused puppy, and Zim hated puppies. But when he said Zim’s name, tallest, it was probably the most miserable thing he had ever heard.
He didn’t sound like what Dib-thing was supposed to sound like. Dib was bold and brave, this Dib was all the thing Zim had tried to wreak on him from the day he met the boy. Then why didn’t it feel right to see him that way? Why didn’t it feel right to see the turmoil in his eyes when Zim kissed him. That’s all that ever was, another plot, a plan, not that he had planned it exactly. No, it was much more spontaneous, almost like it was for… fun?
Zim landed in base on autopilot, Gir watching television downstairs. He stayed in his seat, tearing off the dark wig and resting his heavy head in his hands. ‘No no no no no!’ he ranted to himself, ‘A human child? Never! Nothing can get in the way of the mission!’ He stood quickly, exiting the vehicle and rushing to the faux living room downstairs.
Gir leapt from the couch to greet his sullen master.
“HIIII YOUuuuu…” His excitement waned and his loud hello was drawn out, becoming more quiet as he noticed the Irk’s foul mood. “Wassa matter?” Zim glared at the bot,
“NOTHING!” And he stormed out of the room, off to bed to fester in his own mind, because everything was the matter.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Dib looked out his window from on his spot on his bed as the daylight evanesced. He hadn’t heard a word from his father, or sister all day. He wasn’t worried -much- they could take care of themselves. Especially Gaz. They were home late almost constantly anyways, it was regular now, but he couldn’t help feeling anxious for his family sometimes. He wondered if they ever worried for him, and not just for his sanity, he doubted that. He hadn’t said more than a word to his father in more than a month.
“Son, I am disappointed in you, and I don’t see much of a future in store, my boy, none at all actually.” That’s what he had said, right to Dib’s face he had reminded him of his poor choices and how he could never be saved from his radical ideas. And what was worse, Dib almost believed him too. He had chased Zim for years, provided evidence, and given logical and practical arguments of the threat, but for nothing. No one would listen. Who else was there who could give him a chance to prove what he was worth? Today hadn’t helped in his self-esteem either. Who cared?!
Zim had certainly been acting as if he cared lately, but why? The two of them never got along, maybe it was just this hectic and terrifying day. And every other day would probably be just so as well. The light at the end of the tunnel was dim, Dib thought, but one can never give up hope for a better tomorrow. Maybe there was someone out there, someone he had yet to meet, who could see him as who he truly was. This was not defeat today, not in the least, especially since he had been saved. Gees.
Holding an icepack to his bare stomach, another to his face, as he tried his best to hold back the rest of his thoughts. He felt like a girl, fawning over her rescuer, but what else was there to think? He had rescued him, but he had also attempted to murder him a hundred times over, not to mention brig about the fall of all mankind, take over the planet, and enslave their race. Could one good deed change Dib’s opinion about the monster so easily? Did it only take one act of good will? No, it only took one kiss.
Maybe he really was crazy, and it was Zim who pushed him to it, and drove him over the edge. Dib sighed, rubbing his eyes with his thumb and forefinger. What had Zim been thinking?
The past two days hand done a number on his mind, and tomorrow was going to be a much needed break, or at least he hoped as much. What would he do now? Was their long-time rivalry over? It was strange to think, but he was almost disappointed that it might be. He couldn’t see himself with the invader in any other way but enemies anyway, could he?
Dib shook his head, it was better not to try and picture it. He was much to afraid of liking what he saw. He shuddered, turning to switch off the lights, then changing his mind and flipping over to get some rest. Maybe the light would keep away any unwanted dreaming.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finished with the new chapter! School has started up again, so things might be moving a bit more slowly now, sorry!