Status: Hiatus.

Catastrophic Happenings

Chapter 2

“What?” Azalea asked confused as she slowed down her pace.

“Catastrophic Happenings is the rock band that I manage. As I said before, we lost our lead singer, Jason, which is why we’re back in Bethesda. I’m offering you a chance to audition for the spot.”

“Ha ha, real funny.”

By that time they were in the kitchen.

“Sit down, sweeties! I’m overjoyed that you’re both here in one piece,” she nervously joked. Her eyes went straight to Azalea

“I wasn’t going to use that knife on your son just for scaring me. But, in all fairness, he should have mentioned the fact that he was your offspring. I mean, even though we’re in a good neighborhood, they’re still some crazies around.”

Rick’s mouth went agape. Azalea’s demeanor did not change a bit as she talked to his mom.

“That’s good to know Azalea. You’ll have to excuse Rick’s appearance—that’s probably what scared you the most—he’s been out with that band he manages across the state for the past month. He only just got back some hours ago.”

“Oh, on an actual tour?”

Rick cocked his head, “Sort of. Mostly just shopping malls and local clubs.”

“So that would explain the uncut hair and near beard and trampled upon clothing,” Azalea reasoned. “And by the way Rick, that look could scare a few dozen children. Especially with your height.”

Mrs. Under nodded in agreement.

“Anyway,” Rick intervened. “I was just telling Azalea how great it would be if she auditioned for the band, Mom.”

“That would be a great idea!”

“Wait, you were serious?” Azalea questioned.

“Completely,” Rick replied.

“Like, a chance to be part of a real, signed, rock band?”

“Well, we aren’t exactly signed. At least, not yet anyway. Jason had this connection with a label, Paint Specs, but since he left, we don’t know where we stand.”

Rick raised an eyebrow when Azalea started laughing.

“I’m sorry,” Azalea apologized. “Paint Specs?”

“It’s a weird name, I know. And they aren’t that great. But it was the only one that was even considering taking us.”

“If the band is so…low key, why do they have their own full-time band manager? Nonetheless one that doesn’t even work for a company?”

“Because, I don’t want to work for a label and just be that guy that tells you where all your gigs are. I just want one band and handle all of their affairs. I think it’s more gratifying that way if they make it big time.”

“You must have had this conversation way too many times,” Azalea analyzed.

Rick briefly looked at his mom, “I have.”

Mrs. Under sighed and started to serve the pound cake.

Azalea turned to him. “So you’re dead serious? About this whole audition thing?”

“I don’t joke when it comes to Catastrophic Happenings.”

Azalea grinned, “Replay that sentence over in your mind.”

Rick just rolled his eyes.

“So, when do I get to try out?”

“Um, right now if you want. I was actually on my way to check on the band.”

“It wouldn’t be very smart of me to get into the car with a stranger to another stranger’s house filled with more strangers.”

“Hmm,” Rick said as he thought. Azalea was right. Even though he knew that he himself and the rest of the band were honorable men, he couldn't expected her to trust him blindly. He turned to his mom and asked, “Can the band come here?”

“Do they plan on playing their music?

Rick did all he could to stop his eyes from rolling, “The band is going to want to know how her voice sounds with their playing.”

Mrs. Under’s reply was a purse of her lips.

Azalea reached over and placed both her hands on Mrs. Under’s arm. “Please, Mrs. Under. This might be the only exciting thing I do all summer,” she said with big eyes.

Mrs. Under smiled, and patted Azalea’s hands with her free one. She then turned to Rick and said, “I’ll be keeping an eye on Azalea the entire time she’s in that garage with you and your band.”

A wide grin spread across Rick’s face.

“So, how do we do this?” Azalea asked with excitement. “Are you just gonna go get your band?”

Rick thought her question over. He knew that the all the guys were probably still sleeping, and he especially knew that one member would be less than excited to audition a new lead singer. But he agreed anyways, “Yeah, I’ll give them a call and then head over there to bring them back.”

Azalea smiled as Rick got up to leave. He hesitated before turning around.

“Wait, I have an idea. Let me record you singing on my phone and I’ll play it to them when I get over there.”

Mrs. Under looked up at her son, “Is that really necessary, dear? You already know that she’s a fantastic singer.”

“They’ll be more willing to come out here for a full blown audition once they hear how good of a singer she is. I’m not going to force them by their collars to come down here if they aren’t at least a little interested in her. I don’t want them to be completely blindsided.”

She shrugged, “Okay. It’s your band.”

Rick sighed and turned so Azalea, “Are you okay with me recording you first?”

“Yeah sure, you have no qualms with me.”

Rick took out his cell phone and went to the audio recorder.

“So, what do you want me to sing?”

“That Paramore song you were singing would be good.”

Azalea nodded, closed her eyes, and started to sing the whole song with all of her heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading. Feedback, as always, would be appreciated.