Status: Active but currently experiencing some technical difficulties (a.k.a.- major writer's block)

Under the Influence

Ch. 1

Kevin walked through the door, a huge grin playing on his face. “I’m back.”

I glanced up at him from our tattered, old couch. I was watching reruns of Supernatural. His smile made my face light up instantly. “Kevin!” I hopped out of my seat and into his awaiting arms.

He laughed, and the earth shook at his mercy. “Kat, I was only gone for a few hours. You couldn’t have missed me that much.”

Oh, but how he was wrong. I sighed, “I wish we didn’t have to go to different schools. School is so lonesome without you.”

“That would be impossible. I’m in college now. You’ll just have to suffer through the rest of high school without me.” He bent down and kissed the top of my head. “Besides, you know if you need me you can always give me a call. You’re my little sister. I’ll always be there for you.”

I smiled dreamily. “I know. So, why is your smile covering over half your face?”

His grin widened. “I’ve got a date. And she’s amazing.”

My heart pounded in my chest. “When?”

“In about an hour. I just stopped by to freshen up.” He turned away from me and headed to the bathroom.

I followed quietly behind him, and as he shut the door, my body slid down the wall beside it. I could feel my world crumbling before my very eyes. Ever since our parents died, it was only me and Kevin. We’ve never left each other’s sides.

I heard the shower shut off, and I jumped up and headed back to the couch to pretend to be engrossed in my show. I heard the bathroom door squeak open. From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Kevin’s wrapped-in-only-a-towel body dripping tauntingly and heading to his room. A bright red blush crept up my cheeks. I kept my eyes glued to the TV.

Kevin resurfaced half-an-hour later. “Hey, Kat?” I looked up at him, and my cheeks grew redder. He was so…handsome. His hair was slicked to the side, and he was wearing dark blue jeans and a nice light-blue, button-up shirt that brought out his glimmering blue eyes. “Kat?”

I broke out of my trance. “Yes?”

He handed me thirty dollars. “Here. It’s for dinner. Order pizza or something, okay?”

I took the money and held it tightly to my chest, not knowing what to say.

He ruffled up my hair and walked towards the front door. “I’ll be back around nine or ten.” His hand just barely touched the doorknob when my arms wrapped tightly around him.

I pressed my face against his back so close that I could smell his scent and memorize it.

“Kat?”

Don’t go. “Be careful.” Don’t leave me.

He pulled away from me. “I will.” And he was gone.

Tears rolled down my cheeks, and I fell to the floor. I sat there for a few minutes, when something dawned on me. I’m so stupid. I can’t go down without a fight.

I jogged to my room. I pulled on a long black body-length jacket and black knee-length boots. I tied my hair back and stuck it in a black newsboy hat. For the last of my masterpiece, I set big, dark shades over my eyes. I glanced in the mirror and mentally gave myself a thumbs up when I saw a completely different person.

Kevin was mine first. She can’t have him. I won’t let her.

I walked out the door and into the cold winter air. “Time to scout out the competition.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ch. 1 is the only ch. being entered in the contest. While I was writing this I decided to make it more than a one shot. So look out for more.