Glide With The Breeze

Chapter Seven

"I still can't believe you didn't wake me up when you got home last night," Cassie said. There was a hint of jest in her voice and a smile across her face.

Alex rolled his eyes. "Would you let it go?" he said. "It was late, you were dead asleep and you said you've been tired lately so I didn't want to disturb you. I thought I was doing you a favor."

She laughed and reached over, pulling his hand away from the steering wheel so she could hold it. "I'm happy you're home," she said, all joking aside.

"Me too," he said. He turned to look at her when he stopped at a red light. "Home. With you." His eyes wandered from her face to her chest. "Have I mentioned that your boobs look even more spectacular than I remember?" he asked, his eyes glued to the body part in question. "I didn't think I was gone that long."

Cassie shook her head and rolled her eyes. "You weren't. They're swollen and sore. One of the many joys of pregnancy that I'd forgotten about," she said. "Quit staring at my boobs and drive. Your light is green."

It wasn't so much what she said, but something about the way Cassie said it that made his stomach jump and his heart beat a little faster. "Are you rethinking this?" he asked and she looked at him quizzically. "The whole baby thing," he said.

"No," she said. "Are you?"

"What? No," he said. "It was just the way you said 'the joys of pregnancy' that sounded like you weren't sure anymore. I don't know. Maybe I'm going crazy. But no, I'm not second guessing anything."

"Good," she said with a nod. "Oh, what did you leave the room to talk to my doctor about?" she asked. After the ultrasound, Alex had asked the doctor if he could talk to her and they left the room. But he hadn't mentioned any questions or concerns to Cassie.

Alex shrugged. "It was nothing. I just wanted to ask her something," he said and glanced over at Cassie. She had an expectant look on her face, like she wanted him to continue. "We'll talk about it later, at home. It's not really car talk," he said, even though they were nearly to her house.

Cassie shrugged too. "Whatever that means," she said. "Also, I think we should tell Angie and Rian."

"I agree," he said. They were both quiet for the last few minutes of the drive, until Alex pulled Cassie's car into the driveway, right next to Rian's car. "And what better time than right now?" he commented.

Inside, they found Rian seated in the chair in the living room watching TV. Angie, Cassie assumed, was upstairs getting more clothes or something of that nature.

"You can't watch TV at your house?" Cassie asked.

Rian looked over at her and stood up immediately. "Hey," he said with a smile, taking a few steps toward her and enveloping her in a hug. "I missed you."

A smile spread across Cassie's face and she hugged him tightly. "I missed you too," she said. "Where's Angie?" she asked when he stepped back.

"Upstairs. Grabbing more of her stuff. I told her to just talk to you but she won't listen to me. So, do you want to tell me what's going on with you two?" he asked.

She shrugged. "There's not much to tell. We're both just being, well, us," she said. "But, I'm actually really glad you're here because I wanted to talk to both of you about something. Do you think you can go get her?" she asked.

"I can try," he said, heading for the stairs. "No promises, though."

"That's all I ask," Cassie replied as he disappeared up the stairs. She turned and went into the kitchen.

Alex followed closely behind her. "Are you sure you want to talk in the kitchen. With all the sharp objects?" he asked, half concerned, and half joking about Angie's temper.

"Angie won't stab me," Cassie said plainly. She turned away and opened the refrigerator. As she did so, she and Alex could both hear the problem her request was causing Rian.

"If she wants to talk to me, she should come to me. This is bullshit, Rian. She's the one being the bitch, not me," Angie ranted all the way down the stairs.

"Oh, no," Rian said, "I'm pretty sure it's both of you."

His comment came as a surprise to everyone. Rian was always very respectful of women and, under any normal circumstances, would never call one a bitch. But still, Cassie couldn't help but laugh quietly to herself. She closed the refrigerator and handed one of the two bottles of water she held in her hands to Alex. He didn't particularly want it, but took it from her anyway.

Alex hopped up on the counter, hitting his head against the cupboards as he did so, just as Angie and Rian walked into the kitchen. "Ow," he whined and reached up to rub the back of his head.

Angie stopped bitching at Rian for his comment long enough to look over at Alex and shake her head. "Fucking dumbass," she said and then turned to look at Cassie. "Whatever you have to say, make it quick. I have shit to do."

Cassie rolled her eyes. "Shut up and sit down for a minute," she said.

Angie's eyes widened. "Do not tell me to shut up, Cassie. I'm pissed enough as it is, so trust me, you don't want to give me a reason to knock your ass out. And you know that I can and I will," she said.

"Seriously, just shut up for a damn minute, Angie," Cassie said, trying to keep calm but quickly growing exasperated.

"You know what?" Angie said, "You're the reason we're even having this fight to begin with, so, seriously, don't tell me to shut up again."

During fights, as rare as actual fights between the two were, one or both of the girls was forever testing the limits of their friendship. So far it had proved to be pretty solid and Cassie didn't give a second thought to rolling her eyes again.

"Angie, shut your fucking face," she said again, no longer holding back her irritation. Both boys' eyes widened at her.

"This is fucking bullshit," Angie said, turning to walk out of the kitchen. "I don't need this shit from you or-"

Cassie grabbed the other girl's arm before should leave. "Angie, I'm pregnant," she shouted over her friend's continuous ranting.

Rian's head snapped up from the downward position it had fallen and looked at Cassie. Angie stopped yelling, mid rant and stared at her friend. Cassie dropped the hold she had on the other girl and Angie slowly sunk into a chair.

"What did you say?" she asked, her tone and volume much softer.

Cassie took a few steps backward until she was right in front of the counter, between Alex's legs. His arms circled her waist. She put her hands on top of his and rested them on her stomach.

"Alex and I are having a baby," she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Previously chapter nine. I only changed one little thing in this one to make it a little tiny bit more dramatic (see also: ridiculous).