Status: Still working on it :D

I'm a Wizard?

The Sorting

Chapter 6

I stepped out onto the platform and froze. This was really happening. I was really going to be sorted into a House and I was really going to be doing magic. I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned to see Rose point to the “horse-less” carriage in front of us. I nodded and walked toward it. I could have swore I heard one of those invisible horses breathe as I sat down, but I decided not to say anything.

As soon as Albus and Rose climbed in the carriage immediately took off. My stomach lurched with every bump we hit.

“Are you okay, Lena?” Rose asked.
“Just a little nervous,” I told her.
“You look like you’re going to faint.”
“I might,” I laughed solemnly.
“I know you’re nervous about being sorted,” Albus said, “but trust me when I say that it’s not as bad as it seems.”
“Okay,” I smiled. I sat back and tried to take in the scene of the approaching twilight. The forest was so beautiful…

My thoughts were cut off by the sudden lurch of the carriage. I looked up and felt my mouth go slack. The castle was absolutely breath taking. It was larger than life and to be honest, I didn’t know what I expected it to look like but it was definitely not like this.

Albus got out first and then helped Rose and I down. As he took my hand I felt my heart skip a beat. He smiled reassuringly at me and closed the carriage door behind me.

“When are they going to sort me?” I asked.
“I don’t know,” Rose replied.
“We’ve never had an older exchange student come here before,” Albus added.
“Oh.” My stomach continued to flip as we walked into the main entrance.

Just as we were about to walk into the Great Hall, I felt a hand pull me over to the side and away from Rose and Albus. I don’t even think they realized I had gotten separated from them. I turned my gaze to the person who pulled me away. It was Professor McGonagall. Once again, I was speechless. I still couldn’t get over the fact that this was really happening. I still thought I was on a movie set.

“Are you Ms. Smith?”
“Yes,” I replied.
“Come with me.” She began to walk to another set of steps leading to what I’m presuming was the dungeons. She didn’t go down the stairs though; instead, she motioned for someone to come up the steps. Five seconds later, a group of little kids appeared before my eyes. I towered over them. All they could do was gape at me and look around the foyer nervously.

Without a sound, we walked around the entrance to the Great Hall and down a side corridor. I’m guessing this put us more towards the front of the room.

“First years! You are going to be sorted first! Once your house has been determined, you will have a seat and stay seated until further notice.” She turned and pulled me aside.

“You are going to be sorted last.”
“What?” I gulped.
“Yes, I know it’s nerve wrecking, but we can’t just sort you ahead of all of the First Years, it’s not standard procedure.”
“Yes, I understand,” I replied shakily. She smiled at me somewhat pathetically and walked over to reprimand some of the First Years.

Suddenly, the side doors burst open on their own. Professor McGonagall led the First Years out into the Great Hall. Just as the last boy in line stepped out I began to follow but stopped when Professor shot me a glance. I stepped back and stayed in the shadow of the doorframe.

I saw the true connection between a person’s natural character and their House. The kids who walked up proudly to the stool and placed the hat on themselves were sorted into Gryffindor, the kids who seemed nervous but somewhat confident got put into Ravenclaw, the kids who snickered at the others were put into Slytherin, and the kids who seemed quiet were put in Hufflepuff.

When everyone had taken his or her seats, I saw an old man stand up and walk to the podium. It was Dumbledore, Albus Dumbledore.

“As most of you may know,” he began, “there is a new student coming to join us from a far away place.” Whispers began to float around the Hall.
“Her name is Lena Smith and she has been able to conceal her powers from being known to Muggles for 15 years.” There were many impressed nods of approval.

“However, one can only hold back so much, and when the Ministry of Magic saw that her powers were becoming more and more evident, they realized that there was only one more option: to send her to school.
Today, she must be sorted into a House. Which one she will be placed in, none of us know. However,” his voice took on a tone of warning, “if there is to be any discrimination of any sort, punishments will be delivered.” The Hall went completely silent.

“So, without further adieu, I would like to ask Ms. Smith to step forward.” He turned and held his arm out to the doorway where I was standing. My insides froze and my bladder was telling me to rush to the bathroom as quick as I could. The whole Hall was waiting on the edge of their seats. I took a deep breath, tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, and stepped out.

Whispers began to erupt immediately and I felt my ears turn red. I didn’t look at anything except for the stool in which I would have to sit. After what seemed like forever, I made it to the stool. I made sure to tuck in my robes in before I sat down.

I looked at Professor McGonagall, and she nodded and placed the hat on my head.
I felt uneasy, this thing could read my every thought…

“Well, well, well. Not from around here are you? Hmm very interesting… You have tons of potential, but where to put you? You have wit, bravery, slyness, and what’s this I see? Loyalty, and lots of it-”

‘Oh God, Hufflepuff? Who’s awesome that came from Hufflepuff? No. One...’

“Some could say the same about Slytherin as well but we all know that’s not entirely true… ”

My eyes darted over to the Slytherin table where I knew Albus was sitting.

“Ah young love, such a blessing and a curse!”

I felt my face turn a deeper shade of red.

“Never the less, I know just where to put you. Better be: HUFFLEPUFF!”

There was a round of applause and cheering coming from the table next to Gryffindor. I walked over to the table and sat down on the edge of the table, where people were still clapping and smiling at me. I tried my best to return their warm welcome, but I couldn’t help but sulk. Hufflepuff, that’s where the wimps went. I am not a wimp…

“A toast to our new student!” Professor Dumbledore said raising his goblet. The rest of the Hall did the same and I smiled in return.

Almost immediately afterward, tons of food appeared on the table before us and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Some of the older students laughed at my reaction. It wasn’t harsh laughter, but the kind of laughter that adults use that makes you seem all young and naïve. I shrug it off and take American-sized portions of everything. People probably thought I was insane, but I didn’t care. I just wanted to get to bed and e-mail my mom.

I tried to look for Albus and Rose, but I couldn’t see a thing.

“Congratulations,” a voice says from beside me. I turned to see Chara sitting there smiling at me.
“Thanks,” I replied trying to sound happy.
“I know how you feel. Being sorted into Hufflepuff isn’t exactly a Hogwarts student’s dream, but you learn to like it…”
I searched for a reply, but nothing came to me. Chara had said it all…
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!! It's been a while and I apologize. I hope that all of you enjoy the story so far!! Any type of feedback would be great! It's what keeps me motivated! Thank you so much for taking time to read this story, I really appreciate it <3

-Gab?