‹ Prequel: I Still Remember

Come A Little Closer

FIVE

A few days have gone by. Marc had to fly back out to New York for work but said he’d be back in time for dinner with both our families. He also told me to hide the ring until the big family dinner because he wasn’t in the mood for drama, yet we were going to get plenty of it.

I did tell Syd and Jare though, who swore to secretcy that they wouldn’t tell, because the knew Marc was going to propose anyways, because Mrs. Staal found the ring and a big explosion happened in the Staal house that night. “Figures, I miss all the explosions,” I murmur.

“Please, your lucky you missed it. Marc and my mother aren’t speaking.”
“Oh no!”
“Oh don’t worry, Linda will calm down in a few days…until she sees the ring on your finger,” Jared laughs.
“Guys, guess whos back!?” My mom yells from downstairs.

I book it for the hallway as I hear Sydney yell, “I have never seen her run that fast in my life.” I run down the stairs as I see Marc swing his head and extend his arms. I jump into him and grip on to him. Okay, it was two days, but I missed him. I can’t even imagine how much I’m going to miss him when he goes back to New York and I go back to Chicago.

“You two have only been away from each other for two days,” Rick laughs.
“What can I say, your daughter has that effect on me,” Marc smirks before kissing my forehead.
“Bitch what time is dinner?”

Jared asks as he comes dow the stairs and hugs his brother. Marc then hugs Sydney and puts his hands in his back pocket. “I wouldn’t know, considering I haven’t spoken to mom,” he shrugs, then putting his arm around my waist.

“Don’t you think you should fix that?”
“Dinners at six thirty!” My mom yells from the kitchen.
“THANKS!” We all yell in unison.
“Yeah…that’s not going to happen.”
“Trust me…we know.”
“You told them?”
“Their not going to tell,” I smirk.

A few hours roll around and I was in my room with Marc doing my hair for dinner. He was lying on my bed, flipping the channels on the TV. “How was New York?” I ask as I separate my hair into two sections before putting the hair straighter to it. I catch him shrugging in the mirror.

“Not bad, not bad,” he says.
“You sure?”
“I’m positive,” he says as I continue to do my hair.
“I think you should reconcile with your mom.”
“You know about the explosion?”
“Marc, I know your mom didn’t mean half the shit she said.”
“I know, just sometimes…I don’t know. I’ll think about it how about that.”

I walk over to him after I finish my hair and kiss his lips. He kisses me deeper and pulls me on top of him. I slowly begin to kiss his neck as he grabs my ass by slipping his hand under my skirt. I proceed to pull his shirt off until we hear someone clear her throat. We stop and both look to see Lindsy at the door. “Lindsy damnet, haven’t you ever heard of fucking knocking upon entering?” Marc says.

“Well, I figured I’d ask Gina what she’s wearing for dinner tonight, but I see now shes wearing a tighet mini skirt, a white tank, and Marc Staal’s cologne.”
“Close the damn door Linds,” I spat at my sister.
“Just don’t show up to dinner looking like sex, okay?” She says, closing the door.
“Curses,” I murmur, lying next to Marc.
“You’re sister is a nutjob. I mean, it’s not like we ever did that when she had her stoner boyfriends.”
“MARC AND GINA! LETS GO!” My mom yells.

I watch Marc put his shirt back on and we leave. I’m sitting in his car now, looking at the ring on my finger. I knew there was going to be an explosion tonight, I wasn’t even prepared for it, but I knew it was going to happen. Marc grabbed my hand and squeezed it. “It’s going to be fine baby,” he tells me as we pull into the store parking lot.

We leave the store with a bottle of wine (according to Marc, it’ll smooth the issue with mother over), and pull into his driveway. He takes the keys out of the ignition and looks over at me as he kisses my cheek. “C’mon baby, we gotta face them sooner or later.” We then proceed to walk hand in hand into this house and say our hellos. I watch him give his mom the bottle of wine. She still does not look to happy. I sigh and realize she is just as stubborn as him and Jared.

We all sit at the dinner table and begin passing around food. Tonights dinner included the following: Merlot, steak, potatoes, salad, veggies, and an explosion from Linda. I sighed and handed Jordan a plate of veggies. His eyes widened and I knew why. I pretended not to notice anything. “Gina, want to hand me the potatoes?” Lindsy asked.

“What are the magic words?”
“You’re a bitch for bringing wine when a recovering alcoholic is present.”
“Not what I was looking for.”
“Gina, wanna be a doll and pass the potatoes please?”
“There, that’s better.”

I hand Lindsy the bowl and her eyes widen as she grabs the bowl. I began praying that she wouldn’t say anything. I heard her slam the bowl down and she grabbed my hand, which was still in midair. “GINA ISABELLA PISANI! WHAT THE HELL IS ON YOUR HAND!?”

This was one of those moments where I wanted to kill Lindsy. Everyone at the table was looking at me now, except for Parker, because he was off in his own little world on his high chair. I grab my hand and place it on my lap. My mom is looking at me and sending daggers with her eyes. “Gina…what is on your hand?”

“A ring…”
“No shit,” Jordan yells.
“From Tiffany and Co.”
“Who gave it to you?” Linda asks.
“You’re son…”
“Guys…Gina and I are getting married!” Marc smirks.

Everyone is silent now as I squeeze Marc’s knee. Marc then proceeds to look at Eric and mouths for him to change the subject. Just as Eric is about to open his mouth, Mrs. Staal interrupted. “When did this happen?” She snarled.

“The other day,” I mumbled.
“Marc, as I told you the other day, I’m not paying for this wedding.”
“Mrs. Staal, I’ll pay for it, really,” I say, trying to smooth things over.
“Mom, don’t be mad.”
“No Marc, I have to be. You just got out of getting married and proposed to her.”
“Everyone knew mom that they were going to get married eventually. Just be thankful they didn’t elope,” Eric smirked.
“And we are really considering that at this point,” Marc snaped.
“Marc, not now,” I mumble.
“Marc, have you lost you’re mind?” Linda asked.

I sit there while Marc and Linda go at it and look at Eric. Eric is trying to hold his laughter because his mother looks like she’s going to explode. I give Eric the look that translated that he needed to help out Marc. “MARC THOMAS STAAL! I AM DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!” She yells, which brings me back to the argument.

“Mom, because I’m engaged for the second time in a few months? You all know I’ve been inlove with Gina since she moved here, I made a few mistakes, but I’m with the person I want to be with and your not happy about this? The one person I want happy and excited about this is you!”
“Marc, this dicussion is over.”
“Fuck this,” Marc says as he throws his napkin on the table and walks out on his deck.
“Marc wait!” I yell after him.

I close the sliding door and grab his hand. He turns to look at me. He’s running his hands through his hair and sighs. He looks pissed off. “Marc, do not listen to your mom,” I tell him, trying to calm him down.

“I knew this was going to happen.”
“Marc, she’ll accept it soon, I know she will.”
“Do you still want to get married?”
“Yes Marc, more than anything. I’ve wanted to marry you since I was three!”

With that, he plants one on my lips and I place my arms on his waist. I feel his hands press up against my cheeks before he pulls away and smiles. “So…I was that much of a charmer when you where three, eh?”

“Marc, we’re getting married, okay?”
“Can we elope?”
“No.”
“Okay, well…we have a wedding to plan then, don’t we?”