Sequel: A Burden

A Mistake

Elevenses

The group woke early the next morning, leaving Bree before any questions could be asked of them.

After they had traveled far enough away from people that they knew no one would be around, they felt free to speak.

“Where are you taking us?” the Ringbearer asked as they climbed uphill.

“Into the wild,” Strider replied. Raina could feel the Hobbit’s uneasiness, but she trusted the Ranger to keep them as safe as he could. They were much safer with him than on their own.

“And where from there?” Merry asked worriedly. Raina felt bad, for they had been pulled into this adventure by accident, and they couldn’t go back now.

“To Rivendell, Master Brandybuck. To the House of Elrond.” Strider replied without turning around.

“Did you hear that?” Sam asked as he looked over at Raina and they both smiled at each other in excitement. “We’re gong to see the Elves!”

Raina could barely suppress her happiness that she was going to see where she came from; where she had gotten her name. Although her last name was neither her mother nor father’s surname, it was Elvish, just another reminder of where she was from.

A while later, once they had gone so far north that Raina was stepping through patches of snow in her bare feet; the Hobbits decided that it was time for some food. They sat their packs down and began to dig around for something they could eat.

Raina was walking ahead with Strider, her joy turning to worry as she wondered if the Elves would accept her or not. She was not like them; half Man, half Elf, yet raised like a Hobbit. She could not fight nor ride a horse, like most children could by the time they were eight with the Elves.

“Gentlemen, we do not stop until sun down,” Strider announced.

“What about breakfast?” Pippin asked as Raina stifled a laugh. Typical Took, he was.

“We’ve already had breakfast,” Strider called as the two of them disappeared behind the orchard trees.

“We’ve had one, yes,” Pippin conceded. “What about second breakfast?”

“Don’t think he knows about second breakfast, Pip,” merry said sadly, only loud enough for Raina to hear.

“What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn’t he?” Pippin asked worriedly. This time Raina let out a giggle, looking over at Strider to see if he was listening. A small smile on his face said that he was, even though he kept walking. He came to an apple tree, picked two, and threw them over to the Hobbits.

One was caught by someone, but the other fell with a distinct smack that said it had hit some poor bloke in the head. Raina laughed and ran to catch up with Strider.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“This was the great watchtower of Amon Sûl. We shall rest here tonight,” Strider announced as the five came upon an old ruin atop a hill. Raina tried to push back a sigh of relief as she dropper her pack and lay down. She was out before she could even pull her cloak around her as a blanket, as were most of the Hobbits.