Sequel: A Burden

A Mistake

Remember All the Sadness and Frustration

Raina swayed on her feet. Almost all the orcs had either ran back or were dead. Her eyes were drawn to where the most noise was coming from, the pillar where Frodo, the cousins, Aragorn, and the troll were at. As she looked, she saw Aragorn fly across the room and crumple against the wall. Her eyes followed with fear, the dizziness passing as another wave of adrenaline coursed through her blood.

“Strider!” she shrieked, but was not worried about him for too long. She ran the short distance from her side of the room to theirs, getting close enough to hear his choppy breathing. So he was okay… For now.

But Frodo did not know that. He ran from his safe place behind the pillar to Strider’s side.

Raina gasped, darting forward, crying out to Frodo in warning as the troll turned to face the three. If he ran back now, he might make it back to the pillar in time for Raina to distract the monster…

“Frodo!” she screamed again, all thoughts lost except that the cave troll was on its way over, carrying its spear. “Go!”

But she was too late, no matter how fast she ran. All thoughts of hers disappeared as the cave troll swung its spear and stabbed Frodo in the chest.
She felt like she couldn’t breathe. Frodo collapsed next to Strider, his eyes wide with fear and shock. It took all her might to take the next breath, and then let it out. The tips of her fingers were beginning to feel numb, or so it seemed. She couldn’t feel the rest of her body, except her heart ached and her eyes stung with so many tears that were falling. She felt utterly empty.

Frodo gave a groan of pain, and Raina looked into his icy blue eyes with tears in her own green ones.

Although Raina did not notice, Merry, Pippin, and Gandalf had all turned to watch as Frodo fell. A puff of dust rose when he hit the ground. Raina kept watching through terrified eyes, her mouth agape.

Without a word, she looked up at the troll that had killed him. Hatred beyond her rose from within to replace the emptiness. If she didn’t act right then, she was sure she would have exploded from the turmoil raging inside her.

She gave an inhuman cry and rushed at the beast. Climbing up with her sword, she stabbed at it as many times as she possibly could. Had she not been crying so much, she would have seen Merry and Pippin look at each other and jump onto the troll’s head with her without a thought. But as it was, she was wrapped up in her own revenge.

“Frodo?” she heard Sam ask from across the room. She could smell the tears that were threatening to fall down his face, which brought on another wave for herself. The troll flailed madly, but Raina dug her heels into its hide until the job was done. She then slipped off just as it crashed to the ground, and looked around. Aragorn (who Raina supposed had been attacked and forced away from Frodo) and Boromir were madly fighting their way to where she was, and Legolas had his bow drawn, pointed at the now-still troll in case it was not quite dead.

All the enemies were either dead of fled back to where they came from. The Fellowship glanced around at each other for a moment, before Raina broke the stillness by rushing to Frodo.

She choked when she saw his body facing the floor, completely still. She couldn’t say anything as she fell to the floor, burying her face in her hands. Seconds later the light footsteps of the other Elf came up behind her and rested his arms around her shoulders. She grasped at him for comfort, but for once, could not find any in his arms.

“Oh, no,” Aragorn breathed as he ran up to the three, Gandalf close behind him. Then the Hobbits, with Boromir and Gimli behind them and everyone gathered around Frodo’s body.

Aragorn was the first to move for him, turning him over slowly.
Frodo groaned, taking in a rasping breath.

Raina gave a cry of surprise and joy, pulling the Hobbit into her arms forcefully, and refused to let go for a long time.

“You scared the living daylights out of me!” she finally gasped, and Gandalf gave a sigh of relief.

When she finally let go, Frodo sat up.

“I’m alright. I’m not hurt,” he said as the Hobbits leaned down to help him up, looking around at all the concerned ones standing above him.

“You should be dead!” Strider cried incredulously. “That spear would have skewered a wild boar.”

“I think there’s more to this Hobbit than meets the eye,” Gandalf said with a knowing look in his eye.

Frodo fumbled for his shirt, buttoning it down to reveal his mail Mithril shirt.
“Mithril! You are full of surprises, Master Baggins!” Gimli cried as soon as he saw the coat.

At that moment Raina’s head snapped up. The drums were returning -- with many more orcs this time.

“They’re coming back!” she said, looking up at Gandalf.
“To the Bridge of Khazad-dûm!” he cried. At once, the Fellowship was on its feet again and sprinting through the doors.