Sequel: A Burden

A Mistake

The Wieght of the Dead

It didn’t take long for the Fellowship to leave the rocky hills for the grassy forests. By then all tears had dried, yet no one spoke a word until Gimli gave a soft warning.

"Stay close, young Hobbits! They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods, an Elf-witch, of terrible power. All who look upon her, fall under her spell…" he said softly.

Despite his warning, Raina’s heart felt more comforted and at home in the woods. She could hear what seemed to be people walking about, but it didn’t register in her mind that they could be enemies. Their breaths and footsteps put her at ease.

"…and are never seen again.

“Well, here is one Dwarf she won’t ensnare so easily! I have the eyes of an eagle and the ears of a fox!”

As soon as he said that, and arrow appeared at Raina’s face. She looked from the arrow to the bow to the Elf holding it. Although she should have been frightened, she looked at the Elf dead in the eye without an ounce of emotion. The Elf seemed to notice this and peered at her curiously, although he did not speak any word to her.

“The Dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark,” a golden haired Elf said, stepping into the circle of arrows notched at the Fellowship’s heads.

Gimli growled, but did nothing. Legolas, standing beside Raina, had his bow pointed at the man whose arrow was pointed at her own head. She studied him for a moment, but then rested her hand on his forearm, telling him to put down his weapons. For some reason, she was positive that the Elves wouldn’t shoot any of the Fellowship… maybe save Gimli.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Fellowship stood upon a platform raised in the trees, and the golden haired Elf stood in front of them once more.

"Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion,” he said in greeting to Legolas. “Mor govannen, Raina Maethoriel, Deirdranuanen.” (Welcome, Legolas, son of Thranduil. And welcome, Raina Maethoriel, daughter of Deirdra.)

Raina looked up at the Elf curiously, wanting to ask who Deirdra was and how he knew her, but the Elf continued on.

"A, Aragorn in Dúnedain istannen le ammen." (Oh, Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us.)

“Haldir,” Aragorn said in reply.

“So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves!” Gimli vented loudly. “Speak words we can understand!”

“We have not had… dealings with Dwarfs since the Dark Ages,” Haldir said in the Common Language coolly.

"And you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!" (I spit upon your grave!)

Raina did not fully understand what the Dwarf said, but what she did sounded horrible. He will be the death of us… she thought to herself, and beside her, Legolas was feeling the very same as he tensed uncomfortably.

Aragorn said something to Gimli, but Raina didn’t listen to what, because Haldir was speaking to Frodo then.

“You bring great evil with you,” he said, and then turned to Aragorn. “You can go no further.”

And with that, Haldir turned to walk away. But Aragorn followed him.

"Boe ammen veriad lîn. Andelu i ven!" (We need your protection. The road is fell!)

Haldir said something back, but even Raina could not catch exactly what he said. Something about leaving.

"Merin le telim." (I wish we may come with you.)

Again, the Elf spoke so quietly that Raina could not understand him.

"Henio, aníron boe ammen i dulu lîn!" (Please, understand, we need your support!)

Raina glanced up at Legolas, worry in her eyes. He looked down at her for a moment, before looking back at Frodo, who dropped his gaze.

Boromir spoke quietly to the Hobbit then. "Gandalf's death was not in vain… nor would he have you give up hope. You carry a heavy burden, Frodo… don't carry the weight of the dead."

Frodo nodded, but stayed silent. Haldir appeared in front of the Fellowship then, looking less than happy.

“You will follow me.”