Sequel: A Burden

A Mistake

Befriending Shadows

The grass under Raina was a nice bed compared to the rock and snow that had been her resting place the last few weeks. Also that night, she had a pillow and blankets, which was so much more than she usually had.

But none of the Fellowship found immediate rest, as one would have suspected. Instead, they sat and stood all clustered together, no one really speaking all too much. It was perfectly comfortable here, but Raina could not help but feel insecure. Usually when she felt like that, listening to the deep breaths of the rest of the Fellowship would comfort her, but there was one missing, and it put her at unease.

In the distance, an Elf girl could be heard singing.

"A Olórin i yaresse
Mentaner i Numeherui
Tírien i Rómenóri."

She was singing about Gandalf. A chorus of Elves then joined in.

"Melme nóren sina
núra ala
Eäro."

Legolas looked up from where he stood in the small grassy area between giant trees.

“A lament to Gandalf,” he said softly, looking around.

“What do they say about him?” Gimli asked.

“I haven’t the heart to tell you,” Legolas replied sullenly. “For the grief is still too near.” Raina nodded in agreement, and curled up her knees to her chest and buried her face into her arms. Was there nothing they could have done for the wizard? Had she run a little faster, would she have been strong enough to save him? A few tears trailed down her face as she thought about it. The Elves kept singing into the air around them.

"Maiaron i Oiosaila,
Manan elye etevanne
Nórie i malanelye?

Ilfirin nairelma
ullume nucuvalme.
Nauva i nauva."

The Hobbits stirred beside her, but Raina couldn’t find the strength to raise her head to see.

"Ú-reniathach
i amar galen
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen.”

Their song elicited a hiccup from Raina, who hoped no one had heard her crying. But a few moments later, Legolas had wrapped his arm around her and pulled her to lean against him. She didn’t resist his strong arms, and found herself curled against his chest. It was then that she allowed herself to cry for their lost hero.