Sequel: A Burden

A Mistake

The Breaking of the Fellowship

The four remaining stood at the shore of the rushing water. In the distance, Frodo and Sam were crossing the river. Closer to where they stood, Boromir’s body lay in one of the remaining boats and was floating towards the waterfall. The three watched silently as the boat grew closer and closer, until it eventually titled, and fell down the waterfall.

With this, the silence and lack of movement was broken. Legolas started pushing the one boat left to the shore.

“Frodo and Sam are almost at the Eastern Shore,” he announced loudly. “We must hurry!”

Raina and Aragorn both looked at each other, neither moving nor speaking.

“You mean not to follow them,” Legolas said, putting two and two together.

Aragorn looked up at Legolas. “Frodo’s fate is no longer in our hands.”

On the other shore, Raina could hear wood meeting sand as Frodo and Sam jumped out of their boat. She watched, as Frodo turned to face them. He raised his hand with a sad smile, and waved goodbye to Raina. Tears flooded her eyes, and she tried to give him the best smile she could before waving back to him. And with that, he turned away and started his long journey with Sam.

“Then it has all been in vain!” Gimli cried, bringing Raina’s attention back to the Western Shore. “The Fellowship has failed!”

Raina looked at the others sadly, because that’s what it seemed to her.

Aragorn moved over to the other three, resting his hands on Gimli and Raina’s shoulders.

“Not while we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left.”

“Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light,” Aragorn finished.

Raina grinned at them, which ended up looking like a snarl searching for revenge. “Let’s hunt some orc!”

With this Gimli gave a cry of delight and blood thirst, and Legolas turned to grin back at Raina. Aragorn turned and started running into the woods, closely followed by Raina, Legolas, and Gimli.

When the cold of winter comes
Starless night will cover day
In the veiling of the sun
We will walk in bitter rain

But in dreams
I can hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again

When the seas and mountains fall
And we come, to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there,
I will go there
And back again