Status: Complete! Look for the sequel called Metamorphosis.

The Usual Suspects

So I Married an Axe ***er

“Well,” Jo spoke while leaning forward on to the bar counter, “find anything of interest to go after.”

“It says here in Villisca, Iowa that there have been four axe murders in that past year,” replied Sarah.

“There’s nothing too odd about that though.”

“Except for the fact that they all have happened at the same house, all of the death’s were children and there were no reported break ins and the parents didn’t have an axe in or around the house,” added Sarah

“Touché Sarah, touché,” Jo smiled standing up and walking over to the cooler grabbing both Sarah and herself some water. Sarah gladly took the bottle out of Jo’s hand and took a healthy swig from it, enjoying the cool liquid on her lips and in her mouth. “Is there anything else we should know?”

Sarah scanned the website open on her laptop in front of her before speaking, “on the night of June 9, 1912, an unknown assailant entered the Moore house in Villisca, Iowa, and brutally murdered its eight residents-Josiah and Sarah Moore, their four children, and two friends sleeping over—by hacking them in the face with an axe. The killer disappeared after the murder, and has to this day never been identified. Although suspects were identified, including a traveling minister and a local businessman, they were thrown out and the crime still remains unsolved.”

“Well then it looks like we’ve got our job cut out for us then,” sighed Jo.

“Come on Jo who’s to say it’s going to be hard we may get this done quickly, plus I know two guys who would be jealous if two ladies were to get a slightly difficult case done in a quick amount of time,” Sarah told her, this cause Jo to smile.

“Fine then let’s get this show on the road we’ve got a case to solve,” with that the two girls grabbed their bags from Jo’s room, gave Ellen a hug and headed off in the dodge and off to Iowa.

“So your saying only your children got hurt?” Asked Jo, while Sarah looked around.

“Yes, I heard this place was haunted, I didn’t believe the rumours but from what it seems like it they’re true.”

“Might I ask why do you believe it’s haunted?” Sarah asked raising an eyebrow in the process.

“Well,” said the mother of the children, putting her hands on her hips, “since when does someone vanish in front of your eyes like that.” At this Jo gave Sarah an apologetic look as the woman sassed her.

“Okay then, how about my partner and I go look at the police records again to find out a bit more and we’ll be back by tonight sound good,” Sarah replied.

The woman nodded her head, “as long as you can find a way to get rid of this thing and give my family and me some sanity.”

With that the girls said their goodbyes and left the house.

“Drop me off in town Sarah I’m going to do a bit more research.”

“Alright, and since this place is famous for it’s haunt I’m going to look to see if I can find the axe to burn it.”

“Ok when I’m done there I’m going to find out where some of the graves where the so called killers have been buried and burn their bones I shouldn’t be too long.”

“Teamwork the Jo and Sarah way, I missed it.”

“Still, tonight I’m going to try and make it to that house just in case something bad goes wrong,” Jo looked over to her a little unsure as Sarah pulled over.

“Its going to be alright Jo we know what we’re doing,” Sarah looked at her and smiled after pulling over, Jo gave her the best fake smile she could.

“I know it’s just this is your second hunt since you got back from college I just don’t want you to get hurt,” she sighed getting out of the car.

“Don’t worry about it Jo I’ll call if anything goes wrong,” with that Jo slammed the door and headed off in the direction of the library.

Sarah looked at her walking in her rear view mirror for a minute, sighed and drove off towards the museum. After paying the doorman she slowly walked around trying to note where every camera was, after an hour she came up with no luck. After heading out the door her phone started buzzing loudly.

“Hey this is Sarah.”

“Hey Sarah, this is Dean where the heck are you?”

“On a hunt with an old friend, what do you need?”

“Well I was talking with your dad and he said he wouldn’t mind if you spent Christmas with the Winchesters.”

“Dean just let me finish up her and meet me at my place in a day or two ok.”

“Who’s so important that you’d take them over me?”

“Jo Harvelle,” with that she hung up, her phone buzzed again, she looked at it and saw she received a text from Jo saying that the axe was still in the house. She made her way back to the house and explained to the woman who she was and that Jo was helping her.

By the time they found the axe it was night fall, Sarah bit her lip nervously as she took it out in the backyard, salted it, holy watered it and lit it on fire. She prayed it would work, at that moment she heard a scream and let out a sigh of anger. “Come on you’ve got to be kidding me!”

Quickly she grabbed her shotgun with salt infused bullets and an iron crowbar and ran in the house. She saw the house owners still in the salt circle she laid down.

“Where is he?” As soon as she asked that question both the crowbar and the shotgun went flying from her hands. Sarah spun around quickly looking the ghost in the face. “Ok ghosty this is definitely too close for comfort.”

With that he flung her across the room, her back hitting the fireplaces mantle, she groaned as she rubber her back. Looking back at the ghost he was about to hit her with the axe when she dodged him. He screamed in anger and grabbed her by the feet and dragged her back to him. He was about to swing for her again when he burst into flames, the only thought going through her head was ‘thank god Jo, you did it’.

The ride back to the Roadhouse Jo never gave up on mentioning that Sarah was getting a little behind in her fighting skills. Even Ellen gave her a little hell, in which she promised them she would get some training in when she got back to Sioux Falls. With that she was riding off into the sunset with her music blasting wondering what adventure was coming her way next.