The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 10

I watched the night once again from my perch on the windowsill. My head was stuck outside as I leaned out, gripping the panel tightly. I could sense nothing. Absolutely nothing. There was the odd feeling of immortals within the city but I had sensed that since I came here. Besides, it was a city. Cities were the best place for a creature of the Old World to hide.

I was expecting new arrivals though. With the news of Ilda’s order to kill me and the scout watching me from my blind spot, I was expecting more witch activity within my city. It hadn’t though. Nothing had stirred and the threats had remained unnoticeable.

My ears picked up the sound of wings and I glanced up to see an owl coming towards me. I held out my hand and the large bird dropped the weighted letter then whirled around to soar higher into the sky. I watched it fly as I tugged at the crude string tying the crumpled piece of paper around a small rock.

The quickly scrawled words were simple and straight to the point. Diana had been searching again but with no luck other than close scrapes. She was however confident that she was keeping the scout away from Eugene, hopefully giving us the ability to move without being watched.

I was a little restless. I much prefer having an enemy visible, something to watch for and fight. I didn’t like how much I didn’t know. I didn’t know if Ilda was really Ilda. I didn’t know if she was the main threat. I didn’t know why she wanted Eugene after sending him to me. I didn’t know who I could trust outside of my own Family and Diana. I didn’t know if this was something to do with Irma. There were too many things left unanswered, leaving me in the dark to fight blindly. I didn’t like it and it made me a little edgy. Especially at the moment when my Matter is so low.

Out of habit, I glanced up at the moon as it neared three quarters. I had been watching it closely, that and I kept feeling my teeth. They hadn’t grown much more but they were long enough to be noticeable. The dreaded day was very close and it wasn’t helpful that Alexis was nearby. I always seem to go for him.

After glancing at the note, I ripped it up slowly and carefully and hopped inside. I turned on the oven and dropped the bits of paper onto the fire. They blackened and crumpled up almost instantly and I left the mess to retreat back to my perch on the window.

It was strange how everything was so calm and the night was clear but I was so tightly wound up, waiting for something to happen. I sighed heavily and hung my head outside again. Nothing was happening still. Absolutely nothing.

To keep myself from tearing my hair out at the silence of an enemy I could not see, I decided to check on Eugene. He was curled on my bed, sleeping soundly and as safe as he could be at the moment. I just hope I could protect him from the Crone and every witch Family who was now after him.

“Stop worrying please. I can’t sleep.” Alexis mumbled sleepily from his place on the sofa.

I turned to look at him stretched out on the sofa that was too small for him. He insisted he sleep there even though I said he could use my bed while I am awake. I shuffled over to him and placed my hands on either side of his head so I could lean over him. He was barely awake and his hand his pressed forehead as he struggled to look up at me. Werewolves were such tired creatures when they needed their sleep.

“And why can’t you sleep?” I asked gently, amused at how vulnerable he looked right now. Not that he exuded strength and danger when he was fully awake.

“As I said, your worry is not letting me sleep.”

I frowned a little in confusion at that. “It shouldn’t do. It’s not like you’re sensitive of the emotions around you.”

“To yours I am. Now please stop worrying about the boy. Diana and your Family are doing what they can to find the information you need. We just need to take care of him.”

“I know that.” I replied before narrowing my eyes slightly at him. “But care to explain what you mean by being sensitive to my emotions? Or are you just going to give me an ambiguous answer like you give me whenever I ask about your ability to know I need help.”

He smiled up at me and patted my cheek lightly. “You know me well.”

I swatted his hand away and changed the subject as I was really not bothered to argue with him right now. “Have you heard anything back yet?”

“No. The people who are at a reasonable distance are either dead or have moved.” He mumbled then rubbed his face hard. “I just might have to contact Badger after all.”

“You sound rather reluctant.” I said, surprised.

For a moment, Alexis seemed quiet. In fact he was so still and silent I thought he had fallen asleep until he stirred and spoke quietly.

“I don’t particularly want to bring trouble to Badger. He is already guarding something for me.” He said softly as he folded his arms. “But I will if I must.”

I frowned a little as his words but we had agreed on this. Our new hideout had to be with more allies. The more people we have keeping an eye out for threats, the better, and with every witch now against me, I had very few contacts. Alexis however had many but it was becoming increasingly difficult for him to find one who was both alive and nearby. If this Badger guy was the only person around who was able to help hide myself and Eugene, then to him we were to go. I was just silently pleased that Alexis knew this and wasn’t going to put up a fight about it.

I was intrigued however to know what Alexis was already hiding. He had never really spoken about himself to me; now or five years ago. He just remained silent about the subject. It didn’t take a genius to work out he was a lone wolf but it never occurred to me to know more. I never spoke of myself so I respected his silence. But now, as I stood over him watching him sleep, I wanted to know more about this laid back man. I wanted to know where he came from and where his pack was and whether or not he left them or was kicked out. If it was the latter, what on earth did he do earn enough hate to be abandoned by his pack? Werewolves were the most closely knit creatures in the Old World. They were weaker alone but they shared a special link with their own kin, almost giving the effect of numerous entities thinking as one when in battle. While vampires also lived in families, they were could quite easily leave and wander alone, and the jaguars were solitary creatures, only having a maximum of two in one family. Werewolves were really unique in connection between every family member and the reason why they were so tight. If Alexis was kicked out of his Pack, then he must’ve done something dreadful.

For a moment I just watched him sleep to help me keep my mind from the oncoming worry at my silent enemies. He strangely appeared older when he slept and far more serious. He should replace it with his normal stupidly content expression, he looked far more attractive. Gently, I reached down and took of his glasses and put them on the tiny side table and leaned down to brush my lips against his forehead. He grumbled to himself but didn’t wake up and continued to sleep. I smiled to myself before walking over to sit back on the windowsill.

I leaned back and stared at the sky once again. Nothing stirred. All was quiet and dark. I glanced at the moon. It glared back at me. I felt my canines and the length was the same, sharp and deadly. I sighed heavily and rubbed my eyes. I was waiting for witches out for my blood to appear and waiting for my monthly urges and I didn’t know when either was going to happen. I bit my lip hard and decided it was a good idea to get a glass of wine.

It was going to be a long night.