The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 15

While Elgar and Eugene were hidden in the kitchen visual but their voices could be heard clearly as they chattered away happily, I stood beside Alexis as Badger addressed they few strangers within the bar. The three most animated immortals I guessed were the regulars. Two of them were vampires, a female who had the appearance of a 70’s punk known as Kelley, and Marcus who was the most silent, sitting hunched over in his large hooded jumper. The other was a werewolf, Johnny, who appeared quite drunk already. The other customers, who were sitting dotted around and alone with their drink, were a total of four, another vampire, two werewolves and a jaguar.

Badger was behind the bar, leaning on it heavily while chewing on the end of a cigar, addressing them loudly.

“Right, I have an order for you lot.” He said firmly. Seven pairs of eyes locked on him. “This here, as you know, is Alexis. That is Augusta.”

Kelley gasped and clapped her hands together while letting out a strange cackle of glee. “That’s Alexis’s woman?” She asked enthusiastically.

Alexis opened his mouth to deny it but Badger had already ploughed on, ignoring the statement and leaving Alexis shifting his weight nervously beside me. I grasped his hand, squeezing it gently briefly to gain his attention. When his eyes nervously met mine, I gave him a slightly smile to let him know I was not bothered by what was said, then let go to fold my arms and watch Badger intently. I was pleased though that Alexis settled and became focused.

“My boy has a problem. A child he had helped Augusta guard years ago is now threatened and, now that the Crone is going against her original orders, Alexis is asking for our help.”

“What do you want us to do?” Johnny asked Alexis.

“We need to find information about Irma, Eugene’s mother, and to do that, we need to find the Allaway Family house.” Alexis explained.

“A witch house?”

“Eugene’s a warlock which is a recipe for trouble. He is wanted and every witch is out to get him and will kill anyone who guards them.” Badger growled.

Suddenly hostility filled the air in the bar, forcing me to step back and stand in a defensive stance. Alexis however placed a hand on my shoulder, soothing me with the stroke of his thumb.

“Alexis is threatened?” Marcus’s voice hissed out from under his hood.

“Nobody threatens our boy.” Kelley said savagely, baring her fangs horrifically.

“If Alexis steps down from guarding Eugene he’ll be safe but, from the love he has shown for the child, I doubt it.” Badger mumbled, waving the cigar around irritably. “So, will you help him find this house?”

“If it means guarding Alexis and the child, then yes, we will.” Johnny vowed.

Badger grunted in acceptance then looked up at the four immortals, sitting silently in the shadows. “You lot. I assume you agree.”

There was a murmur of agreement.

“Warlocks are rare creatures, just like young Elgar. It won’t come to any good for any of us he becomes nothing more than a puppet.” A giant like man said in a low tone.

“But he is of the witches.” A scrawny vampire snarled and pointed a finger at me. “She is too. She’s not even claimed. They’re not to be trusted and it’s not our business what happens to him. Leave him to his death and keep the trouble away, I say.”

His comment grated on both myself and Alexis but I was surprised that the large man was the one who responded first.

“Warlocks are bad news for all, friend.” He said coolly. “A warlock of a young age can be shaped and formed by someone with the intent to harm the Old World. Ideals can be planted and his mind can be twisted, forming enemies in his eyes where there are none. A warlock with the intent to kill very rarely fails in his task and he will be difficult to destroy. He will be trouble, friend, if we let him fall into the hands of someone killing their own kind to get him.”

“But he has a mind of his own now.” The stranger snapped back.

“Torture and fear can morph his mind still. Until he has grown and capable of protecting himself, he will rely on others to guard him.” The stranger remained silent. “So friend, will you help us prevent a monster from being created?”

The silence remained as he thought hard, goading Kelley to voice her thoughts.

“If you don’t help us, you leave quickly before we tear you limb from limb.” She growled threateningly. “And don’t even think of guiding trouble to the boy.”

“Fine! I’ll help!” He snapped, giving in and falling silent in quite a sulky manner.

Kelley grunted in approval before she whirled around to face me. “So you want us to find a house, what else?” Kelley asked hotly.

“My Family is guarded by the Crone but you need to gain contact with them for me. Not only will they will help in your hunt but they will keep us up to date with what is happening back in Italy.” I said. “And watch out for a witch who can only be felt as an immortal. She has killed Diana Constantine, the Crone’s granddaughter.”

There was a hum of unrest among the customers at hearing my last words.

“Killing her own kin. I thought the current Crone was a kind woman.” Marcus muttered.

“She was, it is why I need to find this house. To find out what has happened to her.”

“You have our co-operation. We will do what you ask, for that child and for Alexis.”

I smiled at him widely in relief. Part of me doubted that these strangers would want to help us in anyway but it was apparent that their connection to Alexis was strong. They would protect him if it meant protecting Eugene.

“Then it’s settled. You lot, keep your eyes out for this scout. Find a way to create a connection to Augusta’s Family and seek out the Allaway home.” Badger said roughly, grunting when there was a wave of nods about the room. “You can now leave and do what you want. We will handle things from here and give you the heads up if this scout appears. In the mean, time keep your heads low. Trouble is something I want to avoid.” Badger said, turning his dark eyes onto myself and Alexis.

I simply nodded, smiling my thanks at each in turn, before slipped away from Alexis’s side and sought out Eugene. So many new possible connections were not doing my nerves any good. I ignored the loud voices, both heated and calm, as the regulars began to demand Alexis for more information about how this situation occurred.

I walked lightly into the kitchen but obviously not silently enough for Elgar to notice me. While Martha and Eugene were creating a mess happily as they baked, Elgar, who was watching them intently with a smile that hauntingly reminded me of Alexis, instantly looked up. It surprised me and I didn’t bother to hide it from my face. I had smothered my essence so I didn’t disturb them as I entered the room but Elgar still sensed me easily, making interest grow. He watched me with the same wide-eyed expression I had been met with this evening before he smiled weakly and waved his hand lightly.

“Did you gain their support?” Elgar asked shyly.

I nodded my head once, still watching him with intrigue. He was young. He shouldn’t have sensed me so easily. “I have thankfully. I will be leaving shortly though. There’s someone Badger suggested I should meet tonight.”

“Will you have enough time?” Martha asked, not turning from the bowl.

I glanced outside and shrugged. “I should do.”

“Then I would leave soon. Try not to get trapped.” She said warmly. “Eugene will be safe here while you’re away.” She rubbed Eugene’s hair and her grinned up at her.

Strangely, I felt an annoyed sensation filling me from head to toe. Something stirred horribly within me at that happy grin Eugene gave Martha. I wanted to take Eugene from her and bring him back to my side. I didn’t want him to be looking at her with such happiness. I didn’t like it.

“I will leave then. Eugene, I’ll be back soon.” I said softly.

Eugene looked up at me and nodded before his attention was quickly absorbed by the current cooking activity and Martha. Trying my best to suppress the growing rage, I walked quickly out of the kitchen and strode upstairs in long strides. I dived under the bed the instant I stepped into the room and dragged out my suit and weapons. I was not going out unarmed and without defence, not with that scout on my heels. I dragged the hem of my shirt and nearly pulled it over my head but froze when I Alexis coughed heartily behind me. I half turned and sent a brief smile in welcome. Alexis returned it and made his way over to the bed, sitting with his back to me to allow me to change. I watched his back for a moment in concern. The only times he did this was when he wanted to speak with me.

“What happened?” Alexis asked gently.

“What do you mean?” I asked as I began to strip.

“I felt your anger, Augusta. What upset you?”

I hesitated. I wasn’t sure what it was. Martha was just taking care of Eugene, no doubt how she cares for Elgar too. It just bothered me. A lot.

“It’s nothing.” I mumbled.

“It didn’t feel like nothing.” Alexis said a little sharply.

I frowned a little but I didn’t blame him for his concern. I could sense his unease and it wasn’t hard to piece together what was going on in his mind. I grew angry only when I entered the kitchen and he was obviously nervous Martha and I were grating on each other. He didn’t want us, two women he held dearly, to be on bad terms with each other.

Slowly I zipped up the suit and knelt on the end of the bed, leaning forward so I could wrap my arms around his neck and pressed my cheek onto his soft hair. He stiffened considerably but relaxed just as quickly.

“I know what you’re worrying about but there is no need.”I said gently to him. I didn’t like it when he worried about things, especially when it was just me being stupid. “Martha is perfectly kind and she had done no wrong to me. It is just my emotions getting the better of me, that’s all.”

I smiled when I sensed his worry retreat a little and his large hand took mine and guided my palm to his mouth, pressing a few kisses against my skin. At first I revelled in the warm sensation that made my mind fuzzy and the strange hot gnawing in the pit of my stomach until my brain realised what I was doing. Alarm and dismay filled me rapidly. Quickly, I pulled my hand free and stood up sharply, scooping up the weapons from the bed. Trying my hardest to keep my flustering to a minimum, I avoided eye contact and strode purposely out of the room without a word. I felt him follow me without question but the feeling of amusement was definitely there.

“Badger, where can I find this woman?” I asked needlessly sharply when I entered the bar.

“The Old Bat? She’ll be a few minutes walk from here.” Badger replied although he did glare at me slightly through the smoke of his cigar. His focus shifted a little. “Alexis, do you remember where?”

I stiffened a little at hearing his name that opened up the floodgates that was keeping Alexis’s essence behind me away, bathing me in a weird warmth, but I remained silent. I was becoming more aware of him and my reactions were making me uneasy. I closed my eyes hard and folded my arms, going over the promise I had made to the woman who had raised me. I mustn’t create ties I can’t sever. I must never remain around someone for more than ten years. I must remain alone. I must remain hidden. Loneliness is the only path for me.

“I vaguely do.” He replied as I remained firmly in my thoughts.

“I can guide you, friends.” A recognisable low tone said. I glanced up sharply and saw the giant werewolf getting slowly to his feet. “I will take you there and bring you back. Keep you to the quite streets too.”

I was hesitant, eyeing him up, but Alexis accepted before I had a chance to decide. “Thank you.”

He smiled quite a small smile. “Name is Hart. You wish to go now?” He asked gently.

“Yes.”

“Then follow me. I will keep an eye out for danger while you are speaking with her.” Hart paused. “If she’ll allow you audience anyway.”

The large man lumbered out of the pub with me following behind him, ignoring the farewells from the now drunk regulars and trying my hardest not to think too much about Alexis and these increasingly strong reactions towards him. I had to kill these emotions now, before they got too out of hand or grew into anything. I had to remain alone. No ties. No connections. Nothing. To survive I was to exist, not live.