The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 20

Having sensed a blip of the scout’s aura, I stood up sharply then ran to the edge of the building. After glancing around I dropped off the edge and landed lightly in the shadows of the alley. Keeping to the darkness and running lightly, I made my way back to Badger’s run down bar. Constantly I was keeping an eye out for her. I had seen her and felt her essence only once but that was more than enough plant her in my memory. She was the one who had killed Diana, my old friend’s granddaughter. Whether or not Eugene was involved, I would hunt and kill that witch in search of revenge.

Slowly I slithered through the streets, trying to get to Badger as quickly as possible but also being slow in hopes of not giving away my position. The scout may not know where we were hiding exactly yet even if she does know we are in this town. Best to give us enough time to prepare ourselves before the inevitable face off.

I let out a sigh from my lungs, not having realised I had been holding my breath as I neared Badger’s bar. I had been half expecting it to be torn apart by the scout but it remained standing and just as grubby and painful for the eyes as always. I half ran to the door and almost broke it when I rammed it open without my Matter checked. Instantly, a room full of eyes turned to face me. Normally having this many people stare at me would have me edgy and unnerved but with the knowledge of the scout shooting down my usual fears. Alexis was the first to react, no doubt having felt my unease from earlier. As soon as he saw me enter he was in front of me, cupping my face and speaking to me softly.

“What’s happened? What have you seen?”

I wasn’t caring right now about my need to keep him away from me. With the reappearance of the scout, my feelings of attachment to Alexis and my life of loneliness were not at the top of my priorities.

“The scout. She’s here.” I blurted so quickly I nearly spoke over him.

His features took a while to form into a dark stare at his brain tried to catch up with what I had just said. As soon as it did, he was looking a little angry.

“Just as well we have some good news then.” He grumbled.

“Good news?” I echoed stupidly before I got annoyed. “This is bad Alexis. Very very bad news.”

“I know.” He replied softly and propelled me towards Badger and the regulars. “They have the good news Augusta.”

The three regulars stood there staring at me with an aura of smugness about them. Kelly waved her fingers at me while grinning stupidly and Badger stepped forward, waving his cigar about.

“They’ve found what you’ve been looking for.” He announced.

I was rendered speechless. Family homes are never kept on record as it was too risky seeing as we usually end up hunting each other. The Witches had been looking for that place for years so I didn’t quite understand how a group of wondering immortals managed to find it in a week.

“You’ve found it?” Was all I managed to say.

“We most certainly did.” Kelly said happily, clapping her hands together with enthusiasm.

“We had help though.” Marcus said, glaring at Kelly in hopes of getting her to sober down. “Your Family had managed to give us a vague area after getting hold of some information. From there we got in a local to help. Elizabeth, an ancient vampire, knew of a Family having lived nearby years ago. She told us where the house was.”

“Something’s wrong though.” Jack said heavily. “Elizabeth said she couldn’t see it but was adamant it was there. She could feel Matter and smell a lot of blood.”

“Matter shouldn’t stop a witch from seeing that house though.” I mumbled.

“Exactly. I think something else is guarding that place.” Badger said. “Immortals can’t see it. Mortals are driven away. Witches are killed. That’s how it has remained hidden there last few years. It’s not going to be the safest place to go to and not the easiest to get into either. ”

“I wasn’t expecting it to be anyway.”

“And while we bring you good news, you bring bad.” Marcus said tightly.

“You said something about a scout, friend. This is significant I take it?” Hart asked.

“The scout is very hard to sense. She hides her Matter and only has a small sense of immortality.” I said a little darkly. “This scout is different though. She’s strong, very strong, for our kind.”

“You need to leave soon though if you’re going to find out anything about the Crone.” Martha said from behind the bar. “What will happen to the boy? You can’t take him to that place.”

“I know.” I mumbled and glanced from Badger to Martha nervously. “I was hoping he could stay here.”

Badger’s eyes narrowed in doubt rapidly. “And what of the scout?”

I shrugged. “I’ll hunt and deal with her tomorrow evening.”

“No.” Alexis snapped sharply behind me. “She took on Diana and killed her. She’ll only kill you too.”

“And what else can I do? I can’t take Eugene with us and leaving him here with the scout is not the smartest idea. She might follow, yes, but I can’t guarantee it. I have to kill her before we go anywhere.” I replied firmly.

Alexis scowled at me. “Fine.” He agreed grudgingly. “You won’t be fighting her alone. You can’t.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, not liking the idea of him going against this scout. He was strong but I didn’t want to see him hurt or, something that made me panic slightly, killed. I couldn’t deny I needed help though. Diana was almost on equal terms when fighting me. If she had fallen against this woman, who appeared perfectly unflustered when Diana was on the brink of death, the odds for me weren’t exactly brilliant. Alexis would at least bolster my strength a little.

“Okay, you can come with me.” I grumbled, pushing my hair out of my face.

“I will try and see if I can find her while you sleep seeing as the darkness is limited.” He said little tight voiced.

“Well will help, friend.” Hart vowed with a mumble of agreement from the others.

I glanced at Alexis and just about caught myself from reaching up to touch his face in an attempt to soothe his nerves.

“We’ll be fine, Alexis. We find this scout, kill her or stop her then go to the Allaway house to find out what has happened to the Crone. It’s simple.” I said softly, letting a smile replace my small frown.

“I hope so.” He muttered then reached out and ruffled my thick tangled hair, letting his usual silly content smile replace the etched concern. “Go to bed for now. Martha will look after Eugene and keep him low. Badger and I will track down the scout and then we face her together once the sun has set.”

I stared at him for a moment, letting my gaze hold his, before I nodded in acceptance. I could feel the sun coming. Soon I would be rendered immovable. I gently took hold of his hand and moved it from my head and squeezed it softly in my own.

“Be careful, Alexis. Don’t get too close to her. Just observe her.” I warned.

His smile simply softened in reply, letting me know my demands were heard, before he gently pushed me forward. I didn’t look back and took the message. With Martha trailing after me as Badger rounded up his helpers to keep an eye out for the scout, I trundled up the tiny narrow staircase. I was expecting Martha to turn into her own bedroom but she followed me down to Alexis’ and called my name softly when I opened the door to enter.

“You be careful, Augusta.” She said.

I turned to face her and smiled warmly at the worried expression on her aging face. “If I have Alexis backing me, I should be fine fighting her.”

“But having Alexis there may also distract you. You don’t want him to be hurt, just as he doesn’t want any harm to come to you.”

“We have fought together before and survived.” I replied. “Like you said, Alexis is connected to me like he is to his own kin. He’ll know what I am planning to do instinctively and move with me.”

“Yes, I know.” Martha glanced at me then hesitantly gathered my hand and held it tightly. “I know you think you should be alone, and I won’t ask why, but I don’t think you do. You’re a person and people need contact. They need a family. Life. Love. Alexis will stand by you and guard you without a thought for himself. Don’t reject him, please. You have no need to.” She said passionately.

At first I couldn’t reply. My mind began to try and think of reasons to agree with Martha and accept what she wanted, what I wanted. Alexis would never let my ‘condition’ be known. He would stay by me and live with me. But then the age old words of my grandmother began to ring in my head. I had to remain hidden and alone. It was the only way to keep myself safe and away from those who would want me dead. Over and over these old laws of mine relayed themselves in my mind, beating away and killing any hope of accepting Alexis.

Martha seemed to realise she had pressed into a very fragile area and patted my shoulder lightly, alerting me. I jumped slightly and blinked a few time before my eyes flicked up to her wide eyed gaze.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to nag.” She said with a sad expression. “Rest and forget about what I said.”

I nodded absentmindedly and she turned, leaving me in the yawning darkness of Alexis’ room behind me. I stared at the door after Martha had shut it behind her, still going over her words. My mind fought as old and new words battled each other. I had to keep myself safe but a loner’s life was beginning to become difficult to live ever since Alexis came and attached me to him. I had to return to it though. I had no choice.

With a heavy sigh I decided I should go to bed. I turned and wandered into the room, instantly unhooking my weapons and suit to pile them neatly under the bed. I dressed in my loose clothes and, holding my gun closely to my chest, I sat in the corner I had taken to sleeping in for the last week. I looked up and saw the small mound where Eugene was currently lying. He was sleeping well and deeply. Silently I hoped this mess would be cleared up quickly. I wanted him back with my Family, somewhere safe and secure.

I snuggled down roughly then leant my head on my knees, keeping my fingers gripping hold of my gun. It was warm tonight. It would help me sleep quickly. I was calm, eerily calm, at the idea of fighting a witch on a superior level to me. I just wanted her dead. She had killed Diana, Ilda’s favourite family member. One of the few witches I had trained myself. I would find the witch avenge Diana.

It just never occurred to me that the scout would come to me first.