The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 24

The closer we got to the bedraggled house, the more hostility I began to feel. My ears could pick up the sound of whining and soft growls as the wolves guarding the house shuffled about on the sidelines. If we didn’t have Jack guiding us, they would’ve broken rank and charged us long ago.

Broken steps began to grow from the earth and trailed up to the front door of the large ancient house. The place was unimpressive in decor but it was large, a usual size for a wolf pack’s home. Unlike vampires, wolves tend to stick together instead of branching out into smaller families.

I walked warily up the small path and only stopped when Jack held up his hand for us to wait.

“You’re sure about this?” He asked Alexis in a low concerned tone. “Father will most likely go for your throat.”

“I am sure.” Alexis said lightly with a grim smile.

Jack hesitated but nodded and turned to the door, shoving it open once. The light inside flared out and at first it appeared welcoming. As soon as we stepped inside however things began to become increasingly unfriendly. The there were a couple of wolves in the main hall and instantly they snarled at us, narrowing their eyes.

“Who are these Jack? You know what Murray says about strangers.” A rather small man demanded.

“My own brother so show some respect.” Jack snapped.

“And the woman? And what the hell is she wearing?”

I blinked, quite surprised at the statement. No one from the Old World questioned the witch suit. It was like a badge. Any who wear this suit would be instantly recognised as a witch. These two were obviously only recently turned.

“She’s a witch and she’s with me.” Alexis said calmly.

“Follow me Alex. I’ll take you to father.” Jack muttered darkly and shoved his way past the fake wolves. They growled at him but said no more.

The pack was terribly disorganised, even I could see that. Packs were supposed to be closely knit and united. This pack, which was outnumbered by proud turned wolves, was falling apart and turning in on itself. If there were more original members, I was certain they would have gone for the alpha long ago.

Through a couple of hallways Jack led us until he stopped outside of a thick door. He glanced up at Alexis, silently pleading for him to turn around and go back but sighed and opened the door very slowly when Alexis simple shook his head.

“Father, someone has come to see you.” Jack announced as he stepped aside, letting Alexis walk in with me close to his side.

The atmosphere had been thick in here, almost brooding, but suddenly a heavy oppressive hostility exploded alongside a threatening growl. I stared at the man sitting in a large chair before a roaring fire. I knew for sure Alexis had gained his sleek form from his mother by the size of this man, who was without a doubt Murray. He was tall and muscular, almost like a giant, with his long messy blond hair tied back firmly and thick stubble covering his strong square jaw. I would not like to face his wolf form if his human side was this intimidating, I quickly decided.

“What are you doing here?” A deep voice boomed demandingly from the large man.

“Hello, father.” Alexis said without warmth.

“You haven’t changed much.” His father grunted after a moment of hostile glaring. “How old are you now? Forty something?”

“Forty-three.”

“And you still lack backbone by the looks of it. Soppy as ever.” He mocked.

“I have come for a request.” Alexis said stiffly, ignoring the comment and wanting to get on with things. By the stiffness in his stance, I knew he didn’t want to be here any longer than necessary.

“A favour? From me?” He said savagely. “I owe you nothing boy. Not after you stole the Grey Back from me.”

Alexis twitched but didn’t rise to defend Elgar and kept himself under control. “I need you to guard a child for me. He’s important.”

“I won’t. I’ll sooner hang myself than help you after you betrayed me.” Murray said.

“The boy will become a threat to the Old World if we let him be taken. You have to guard him.” Alexis said firmly.

Murray’s face was darkening with every word Alexis said as his patience wore thin but he lost it when Alexis said the word ‘have’. He stood sharply, let out a sharp snarl as his body rippled with fur. I took a sharp step back and grabbed Alexis’ arm as Murray’s full wolf stood before us, his huge fangs bared and his chest an earthquake of growls.

“You do not tell me what I should do, Alexis! You took Elgar from me! He would’ve returned this pack to its former glory!”

“This pack was destroyed by your greed and stupidity!” Alexis roared back, his own wolf bristling.

I was shocked at Alexis’ rage, having not seen it before, but my focus was quickly taken by the alpha’s growing increasingly bloodthirsty in front of me. My gun was filled to the brim with Matter and pointed at Murray’s face.

“Hurt him and I will shoot.” I said loudly with my coldest smile plastered on my face.

“And who are you?”

“Augusta of the Nespola Family. We’re unclaimed. If you take on Eugene, keep him safe while Alexis and I are away, that will be half a contract. Anything you ask me to do in return I will do it. Just as long as you have completed this one thing for us.” I said hurriedly.

Murray paused and appeared to back down. “Are you any good?”

“Put it this way, the Crone is the one who deals with requests for me. For me to come to you personally is an honour.”

His lips covered his teeth but he remained in his wolf form, bristling with power and making my trigger finger quite jumpy. “Then, as a contract with a powerful witch, I will take this boy under my roof.” Quickly he shifted and fixed a glare on Alexis. “But only the boy. I won’t hold you two here.”

“Fine.” Alexis agreed sharply. “And Eugene stays in mother’s care only.”

“I wasn’t intending to mollycoddle him.” Murray snapped. “Now go. Bring him here and give him to Nora then get out.”

With him now on our side and not wanting Alexis to say anything to upset him, I mumbled a thanks and practically dragged Alexis out of the lounge. Jack lead us back to the entrance, battering away the growling fakes, and slammed the front door shut behind him as soon as he pushed us outside.

“Don’t be too long, Alex, but when you come back make sure your head is cool.” Jack warned softly and rubbed Alexis’ shoulder until he became less stiff. “Mother can’t see you get hurt again. It nearly killed her.”

“I’ll keep calm.” Alexis agreed and smiled suddenly, wiping away his anger. “I’ll be back soon.”

“I’ll let her know.” Jack said and gave him one last pat on the back before turned back into the house.

Alexis smiled at me softly then indicated for me to follow as he wondered down the path. “Let’s go get Eugene and then find someplace to keep you out of the sun. It won’t be long until dawn.”

I didn’t need him to remind me. I could feel time running out clearly and while I was concerned about where I could hide, it wasn’t my top priority.

I trailed after him with my hand resting on my now holstered gun and I watched the glowing eyes in the darkness that surrounded us with a narrowed sharp gaze. I didn’t feel too keen on the idea of leaving Eugene with Murray now I had met him. While I wanted him to be somewhere safe, I also wanted him to be with people who would look after him. Murray had made it clear he was not going to go out of his way in caring for Eugene. I just hoped Nora left a better impression when I met her.