The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 2

I sat at the small table in my chaotic apartment and stared with sharp eyes at the old battered bracelet.

As soon as I had exited the hotel, I had said my goodbye to Alphonse who left a little annoyed. No doubt he would snarl about me to his Uncle but he would pass on the information of the bracelet. The knowledge of its existence would reach Eva Sinclair whether or not the Crone finds that the braceletis a concern to more than just the witches. The only reason that would happen is if the bracelet was connected to the traitor Family.

I sighed and leaned back heavily. The traitor Family were a family of witches who had abandoned what they stood for. The witches existed as a barrier between the two worlds, guarding both from each other. We hunted down those who preyed on the humans and we ensured the Mortal world remained oblivious to the Old Worlds existence, allowing both parties to live in peace. This Family however hunts perfectly good people of the Old World and poisoned a powerful Ancient, turning him into a parasite. Thankfully Eva had managed to retain his sanity, however the damage had already been done. Many had died by Blackburn’s hand while in the grips of his madness and the parasite still lived within him, turning him mad when he felt rage or threatened. The traitor Family helped the human threat create this poison, giving them an opening to the Old World and knowledge of our kind. And, just like the humans responsible, they still had not been found no matter how hard I hunted them.

I had been sitting here for a while now. The sun had risen to early morning and I could feel the daylight beginning to work on my muscles, making them heavy and weak. I knew bed was the best place for to be but I needed this thing to be somewhere secure.

With some difficulty I stood and took the bracelet into my gloved hand. I took it over to a small pot I had for things like this. These witch pots I tend to have on display. The old clay things with strange markings covering its sides would never be known to hold Matter and they appeared worthless so I doubted anyone would steal them.

Once I had placed the tattered bead bracelet carefully within it, I put the lid carefully in place and smiled when I heard the tell tale sucking noise of the pot fastening itself shut. The Matter held in its clay sunk its hooks into the lid, holding it firmly in place. Only I or someone who knew my Matter would be able to open it.

I held the pot in my hands for a moment and leant against the table for support. My eyes watched my failing legs then slid up to the thick curtains with light brimming from its edges. Day was growing strong now and soon I would be incapable of movement. Sending the pot off will have to wait.

I put the pot on the surface and, without so much as a glance, staggered into my bedroom. I fell onto my bed and hauled myself so I could plant my face in my pillows. For a moment I just laid there, mentally pleased that I had decided to get myself changed out of my suit and into these loose clothes. While the Witch-suit was very useful, it wasn’t the most comfortable thing to sleep in.

I pushed myself onto my side heavily and, without bothering to shove my red hair out of my face, drifted off to sleep as the strengthening day ate the last of my energy.

*

I woke long after sunset. The darkness that filled the room filled my eyes and at first I could see nothing. I never woke up this late. During the summer the daylight hours rule and the darkness was not something I would ever waste. I rolled over quickly to face my bedside table and let the Matter rule my senses, strengthening my sight. When the sight of a broken clock and empty bottle filled my vision, I remembered that I had destroyed the clock the evening before.

I growled gently in annoyance at having forgotten that I was to get a new alarm clock and threw myself off my bed a little too violently, causing myself to stumble and nearly fall. I hurried into the main body of my small apartment and pulled the heavy curtains back. Outside the moon was weak in the inky sky and clouds covered the stars. It was enough to know it was beyond midnight however. I did not have long until the sun rose again.

When I turned sharply, my eyes caught hold of the pot sitting alone among the old cups. I could sense my own Matter within its clay, working to keep its lid in place. I remembered then that I had found a strange, dangerous bracelet in the spot Irma’s body had been. I had found what the impulse wanted me to find. The urge that had driven me to despair for the last few weeks was gone. But now I had to get rid of it. I had to send it to the Crone, leader and most wise of the witches. She would find out its origin and what it meant. If it was something of the Traitor Family or the human threat, the Crone was the only person who would know.

Instead of heading for my suit as I had intended, thinking I had something to search for yet again, I turned back to the window I had been looking out of. I pulled the window open and poked my head outside. The noise of the night hummed in the air and a cool breeze brushed my face. I glanced about the darkness and at the world below before I reached out my hands.

Matter filled my fingers and I willed every ounce to concentrate in my hands. The Matter hummed and glowed, turning my pale hands into something far whiter with a gentle shine glittering around the skin.

For a long time I stood there, leaning out of the window with my Matter brimming in my hands until the sound of wing beats were picked up by my ears. They were long and slow but heading in my direction. I turned my head to see the sight of a large bird drifting towards me. I smiled at it and stretched my arms out. The owl latched onto my arm gently and cocked its head at me, watching me with its large oval yellow eyes. I let my fingers touch the owls head with relief. With the amount of Matter that I possessed, I wasn’t sure if I could lure an owl into the middle of a city. Owls were drawn by Matter and could follow trails to other witches. Very useful creatures they were, especially when trying to send something to Italy in a hurry.

I brought the owl inside, cooing to it gentle to keep it calm as it swivelled its head from my face to my glowing hands. With one hand I took the thin rope that was attached to the pot and tied it loosely into its foot. The owl twittered and, with encouragement, hopped onto the jar’s lid. I left the owl there as I pottered back into my bedroom.

Once I again I was on my knees, pulling out the box and rummaging about to find a small purse nestled in alongside my suit, gun and sword. I pulled the pouch out and shook it for good measure. The contents within it clacked a few times and I emptied it into an open palm. Numerous small marble balls fell into my palm. They were cool against my skin yet warm at the same time as the familiar Matter of numerous witches swirled about within their containers. I picked up one at a time as I sought for the Matter ball I was after. Once my fingers felt the familiar essence within the fifth ball, I plucked it out of the horde and then dropped the others I didn’t need into the purse again. With the ball firmly curled in my, I put the purse back into the box and kicked it under the bed when I stood up.

I walked back to the bemused bird and leaned down in front of it before gently I waved the ball under its beak. As the Matter writhed in the ball, imprinting itself in its mind, the owl grew restless. It flapped its wings in agitation as the impulse to follow the Matter of this ball back to its source took hold. In fact the owl was so eager to get going I had to duck sharply as it took off. Thankfully the window was wide enough to fit the bird’s wingspan nicely.

I walked over to the window and poked my head out. I watched the owl soar away with its cargo clamped firmly in its claws as headed for the Crone, the one woman who might be able to give me an answer to what that bracelet was.

As the owl drifted out of sight, I turned back to my apartment and began work at cleaning the dump up. It would take longer than what few hours I had left of this night but it would be a start.

As I began to work, all thought of what I had found began to dwindle. It was headed for the Crone and it would do no harm in her hands; at least, that is what I felt at the time.

I never thought that that bracelet would bring me a burden I never thought I would ever reclaim again.