The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 30

I stared at Murray with my face frozen in a stiff smile. “I need to leave now.” I said stiffly.

Murray shook his head and leaned back in the chair. “I need you to repay your contract. I have kept the brat safe. You now need to help me take down the nearby Clan before it wakes up.”

I grinded my teeth and was thankful Hart was the one standing behind me, ready to jump in, and not Alexis. Alexis would probably be more than happy to let me take a swipe at his father and start a huge fight.

“I need to travel to Romania. It’s important that I do.”

“And it is important that you take this Head out. I need him dead so I can get to that monster .He has refused already to kill it, even refused me to do it.” Murray snapped and leaned forward, letting his wolf ripple under his skin as a warning. “You go to that wretched Clan. You watch it. Then you pick someone to steal to lure out the bastard so I can rip out his throat and that witch who guards him.” He smiled horribly and a mocking glint came to his eyes. “Unless you cannot kill your own unclaimed kind.”

“I kill who I must.” I snapped, getting very irritated now and realised there was no way out of this. He needed me now and wanted me to obey my contract. If I didn’t, no doubt we would have to fight our way out. “And I will keep my contract.”

Murray grinned then scowled at the table in front of him. “Head to the other side of town. They’re closer to it than we are. Just find the best bait to lure out the bastard and his bitch.”

I left after that, not wanting to be around him any longer as my endless patience seemed to be running thin. Hart followed closely behind me, keeping up easily with his lengthy strides.

“Is it wise to accept his orders now, friend? You need to travel to Romania and very soon.” Hart murmured as quietly as he could.

“I have no choice. If I don’t do what he says and complete my end of the contract, he’ll make a big ruckus and cause a lot a trouble. It is safer this way.” I said testily before bursting into Nora’s quarters.

The elderly werewolf looked up and smiled at me while Alexis only looked moody in the chair opposite her.

“What’s he done?” Alexis almost demanded from me but just about managed to rein in his temper.

“He has taken up my end of the bargain. I go to the other side of town until his trap is completed.”

Alexis looked alarmed then quite furious. “He knows we have to take Eugene to the next place of safety.”

“While I may not like the methods, I agree with Murray in this case.” Nora said softly as she continued to read. That had an instant effect with Alexis, even myself, and both of us stared at her, a little calmer from surprise. “The Clan over the other side of the city does not pose as a threat at the moment but the Ancient who is currently dormant is very dangerous. Your grandfather had trouble keeping her from killing our kin, Alexis. With Rylan now dead and the Pack nowhere near at the strength it once was, this Ancient is even more of a threat. She needs to be dealt with before she wakes.” I stared at Nora coolly and with an air of reluctance which she seemed to notice. “I will continue to guard Eugene. He has given me no trouble so far and Murray cannot stop me from taking care of him as a favour.”

I bit my lip hard and scowled. “I will do it then if you think Murray has reason to act now.”

Nora flashed a smile at me. “Thank you.”

“When will you begin?” Alexis asked, standing to show he was more than ready to leave.

“I go now but you are remaining here, Alexis. I must do this on my own.” I said softly.

His mouth twitch into a frown but he nodded and sat down all the same. I was thankful he did. It was far faster for me to go alone.

“Hart, you remain here too. Look after Eugene.” I instructed.

Hart simply smiled and melted away into the shadows, watching the room in his normal eerie silence. I nearly turned and left but seeing the slightly ajar door stopped me and almost begged me to check on Eugene. I glanced at Nora, who was purposely ignoring me, before I glided across the room and slipped inside.

The room was quite dark in here and had a couple of beds. In two of them, a girl little younger than Elgar slept while in the other a boy of maybe five. Eugene slept in the centre bed, seemingly content in his dreams. I walked silently to his side and leaned over him, observing his face carefully. Nora had said he had been very quiet and reluctant while I was away. It could be because we were leaving him alone, but I wasn’t certain. I thought he would enjoy being with Alexis’ mother and children his own age. It worried me a little. Both of my boys were. They were acting distant and I didn’t like it.

I glanced up when the door opened slightly and Alexis walked in with soft footsteps. He came to stand next to me but remained distant, keeping his hands busy cleaning his glasses when they edged over to my hand. I ignored it. Being confused by him was not something I was going to continue doing. He forced himself not to touch me and not to show affection when he blatantly still did with a passion. Whatever was bothering him would eventually boil over and he would blurt it out. He always did. I just had to wait or, as the little voice in me said, he will remain so until I leave. That would make going back into isolation a little easier.

“What is it Murray wants you to do exactly?” Alexis asked softly.

“To watch the Clan on the other side of the city and find the best person so use as bait.” I replied. “He wants to lure the Head and his witch companion out.”

He looked a little alarmed. “The nearby Clan? That’s the Rain Clan.” He said.

“I know.” I said a little heavily. “But that is what Murray wants me to do. I am bound by contract.” I glanced at him, taking in his torn expression. The Rain clan had fought beside us in the Parasite infestation five years ago. In his eyes they were allies no doubt. “This is why I have to remain without allies, Alexis. I am Unclaimed which means I can be set to kill not only my own enemies but people I consider friends.”

“And you’re okay with this?” He asked, pushing his glasses back up his nose.

“I have no choice. The Clan I have fought beside once but that’s it. Besides, it is only the witch and the Head I need to kill, not the whole Clan. Alphonse will be there to take over after his death.”

Alexis gave me a soft and very concerned expression but dropped the subject. “You need to leave soon.”

I smiled at him warmly and let my eyes slide over to Eugene. I allowed myself a moment longer to observe him before I turned and strode from the room with Alexis’ eyes following my back with a worried gaze. I gave a simple goodbye to the werewolves residing in Nora’s private lounge then rapidly exited the room and found my way to the exit. The wolves watched me with hard and untrusting gazes, some even snarled and snapped their jaws at me, to which they received a cold smile in return. When I marched outside, I stood before the world with my hands on my hips and breathed in the cold air heavily. I would get this done quickly. I couldn’t hang around here too long. Once the scout found us it would be very difficult to smuggle Eugene to Eva’s safely. She’ll do anything to stop us once she realises where we’re headed.

Swallowing thickly, I ran fast back towards the woods. I darted through the trees and didn’t stop until I was certain no wolf or living thing was watching me. As soon as I felt a silent calm about me, I slowed to a stop. I shook my arms to loosen my muscles before holding my breath as I reached to wilderness within me. Slowly I let the mad energy out of its prison and let it form it the creature of my choice. In a puff of red smoke a large owl now stood where I once was.

After a moment of letting my mind get used to this new form, I took off into the cool night sky, drifting high as I headed towards the Rain house. I would remain there for a while I knew. As soon as I was on the outskirts, I would have to find somewhere safe to sleep. I had to batter away the feeling of guilt and betrayal at the prospect of the assassination job. The Rain Clan was not my friend. And this was only business. Just business.