The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 31

I watched the house for hours as soon as I had landed and found a place I could hide during daylight. During the night I took the form of an owl, at first circling the huge grounds and watching those who worked in the garden. When nothing obvious could be seen, I began to head inwards the next evening. I scattered my body into tiny partials of mist and I floated by the windows, peering inside and thanking my strange ability to shape shift. At first I was irritated that I could find no one to use as bait. The only people that Lucius Rain, master of the Clan, appeared to hold dearly were too strong. It would be far too risky to try and wrestle a witch or jaguar away from this place. I had to find someone else and I felt time running thin as the third night rolled on.

I was currently sitting under a bush in my tiny mouse form, staring up at the sky with my small eyes, when I finally found a candidate. My ears twitched when I heard voices, low and hushed, coming not too far from the edge of the grounds. Hurriedly, I ran along the earth were the tall shrubs grew and blocked the high wall behind it. I scrabbled over the roots then scuttled out into the open, bounding through the long grass and stopped at the edge of a path. Keeping to the shadows, I watched as two people sat in the darkness of the night and well away from the main body of the house which glowed in the distance.

I was very surprised to find myself watching Alphonse, the nephew. He was strong for his age so I never considered him as the target, even if he was wounded, but the girl next to him was suddenly perking my interest. She was human, my sense told me so, and apparently she was a maid here, meaning she was a survivor of a parasite attack. But by the tense atmosphere and stiff posture of both of them, I guessed something was going on. I twitched my nose and moved closer only to stop at the edge of the shadow and pushed myself up onto my hind legs.

“You’re doing better.” The girl said quietly, noting the obvious wounds on Alphonse’s arm.

Alphonse glanced down at the bandage and touched it gently. “I would have healed long ago. Uncle was quite mad.” He grumbled, glaring at the floor.

My ears twitched with interest as the maid replied. “At least Susan can calm him and keep him sane.”

Alphonse grunted in reply. Obviously he wasn’t too keen on the fact Susan had the ability to calming his uncle from apparently dangerously violent rages. To gain such wounds from such a kind and collective man was quite surprising to me.

“You also appear to be doing well, Ella.” He said, raising his eyes to observe the side of her small increasingly blushing face. “Do you accept what has happened now?”

Ella was silent for a moment and putting obvious thought into her answer before speaking. “I don’t in a way. Danny’s death was pointless and not being able to see my friends and family again is not something I will simply accept at the moment either.” She said softly and paused while Alphonse frowned and looked a little pained at her words. “I do like being here though. Susan is not so bad once you get to know her. The master is kind and most of the humans here appear to enjoy their work.” She blushed brighter. “You are kind also, Alphonse. Very kind.” She mumbled and let her hand rest on his healing arm.

Alphonse smiled gently and placed his hand over hers, engulfing hers easily. I smiled grimly at the sight, knowing I had found my target.

Having seen all I needed to see, I scurried away back to the hedge wall. I burst into mist when I was undercover then slithered up the wall and between the branches. As soon as I was clear from the grounds, I shifted into my normal shape. I walked a few paces, letting my hands glow with Matter and reached out for an owl to come to me. I smiled at the bird which swiftly replied. It clamped its claws around my forearm and chirped lightly as it swivelled its head around. I reached for the small ball I kept as a necklace around my neck, pulling out the marble from the depths of my bosom. Lightly I let it swing back and forth in front of the creature and it was not long before it stretched out its wings and took off. The owl would be more than enough to inform Alexis I was ready. He would know what I needed. He always did. I watched it only briefly before I set off for my den. The sun would be rising soon and, with the first half of my mission almost done, I would rest for now. There wasn’t enough time to do anything else.

I quickly found the dip in the earth that arched over like a small ceiling. I slid down the bank then clambered into the small curve of earth, pressing myself as far back as possible before leaning forward and letting my forehead hit my knees. My red hair swirled over my face, giving some sort of curtain against the sunlight. I sat still on the damp grass and leaned against the earth behind me.

I dozed at first, letting time slip by, before the thick heavy exhaustion rendered me unconscious that came with the day. The next thing I was aware of was a cool breeze and eyes watching me. It didn’t alarm me. I had become used to Alexis’ gaze long ago. I raised my head and let my eyes meet his, noting that glowing eyes were behind him.

“You’re ready.” He stated softly.

I nodded and began to curl my hair around my finger absentmindedly. “There is a girl, a maid, who is very close to Alphonse. If my knowledge of the Rain Head is correct, he will do anything to ensure his nephew is happy. Even if it means rescuing the maid. It also helps that the witch, Susan, is apparently close to this girl.”

“What is her name?” Alexis asked after growling at one of the fakes for stepping towards me.

“Ella. You will know who she is when I see her.” I said certainly and stood sharply. “I shall lure her towards the edge of the grounds. It will be your job to get her over the wall and away from here quickly.” I said to the group of floating orbs in front of me. They only blinked and growled in reply. I sighed lightly then glanced up at Alexis who hovered close to me. “I will lure her. Wait for me to call you.”

Alexis simply smiled in reply before I darted off into the darkness. I ran rapidly so it did not take me long to reach the wall, burst into mist and slither over. My formless body rolled over the grass, merging with the thin layer of fog that was already there, and slithered about aimlessly until I found the recognisable essence I had forced myself to remember yesterday.

Ella was outside and apparently with Susan, the witch I had been told I was to kill. I did not get too close. Witches were far more sensitive to me than anything else in the Old World. I remained a fair distance, hovering about in the air. Not much time had passed when the witch turned sharply and went back in doors, leaving me to get on with this luring business. Noting that Ella appeared the gentle type and one to jump to someone’s defence, I quickly slithered away back into the darkness. Ensuring I was within shouting distance, I shifted into my normal self and crouched low on the ground. I waited for a moment. No one else apart from Ella appeared to be close. I closed my eyes and inhaled lightly before letting out a high-pitched and quite childish scream for help. My eyes never left Ella as she froze then stumbled forward, calling out to me. Again, I cried for help and this time it got her moving. She darted from the patio and ran through the numerous paths that separated us.

She came darting out into the courtyard behind me, completely missing my lithe form pressed against the low wall. She came to a slow halt before glancing about her surroundings.

“Hello?” Ella called uncertainly as she peered into the darkness, not noticing me slowly standing behind her.

I only hesitated once. She was so small compared to me. I towered over her but this small girl was the bait I needed. I raised my hand and pressed it roughly against the back of her skull, forcing so much Matter into my hand her small mind switched off from the shock. I managed to grab her shoulders before she hit the floor then quickly threw her over my shoulder. I had to move quickly now. Swiftly I ran in the shadows along the numerous paths until I reached the surrounding wall and just as I reached it, I felt vampires.

They were coming quickly, obviously falling for my cries. Quickly I sent I sharp alarm to Alexis, praying he would get. He did. There was a sound of scrambling on the other side and suddenly, at the top of the wall, loomed a large wolf figure. Alexis turned his snout to the east, where the vampires were coming for us quickly, before letting himself fall into the garden. He stood tall over me, watching me with an unwavering gaze, and snuffled my scent lightly with his nose.

“Take her.” I whispered softly. “And be gentle.”

Alexis stared at my silently with his soft eyes before nodding once and taking Ella into his arms. He gently adjusted her so she lay on his shoulder before launching himself at the wall, just catching the top and forced himself over. I glanced to my left and just saw the vampires darting towards us and decided now would be a good time to disappear. I burst into moths and reappeared the other side of the wall, coming face to face with numerous wolves. They were itching for a fight. I could smell the blood lust and the scent of enraged vampires was only fuelling it.

“Hold them back.” I said simply before running after the strong presence of Alexis.

As I fled, the sound of monsters ripping each other to shreds followed after my like a plague. I wasn’t sure how many would survive but I was most certain there would be fatal loses on either side. Not that Murray would care if he lost any of his turned wolves. He would just find some more.

I came to a clearing and slowed to a stop as the shadow of Alexis loomed. He stood still, holding the girl firmly over his shoulder, while his pale eyes glowed eerily. They never blinked and neither did they venture from my face.

“Murray wants us to take her to an old hideout of ours. We will make the stand there.” He said quietly.

I smiled grimly and nodded, glancing at the unconscious Ella. “I just hope this bait will work.”

“Your judgment has never been wrong so far.” Alexis muttered before turning and lumbering ahead, walking with sure footed strides.

I trailed after him, keeping my gun ready in case any vampires followed. None did.