The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 34

I waited beside Alexis in the middle of an abandoned road, waiting impatiently for my contact. He had said that he would meet us here and bring us to safety. So far, I had heard and seen nothing for hours.

I had calmed quite quickly after Alexis had told me his thoughts and I was surprised at how clam I was at the situation. Alexis had told me he still loved me and refused to give me up over our fears and, probably against my better judgment, I had accepted them. He was now my mate. As much joy as this brought me, as well as fears about this first meaningful relationship, I was still missing the other important boy in my life. Eugene.

Calmed and warm within Nora’s house, we thought rapidly about what to do. At first we were at a loss. We had no way of getting to the Crone without being seen or sensed. There was just no way we could. She would be surrounded by guards who still believed Ilda to be Ilda. They wouldn’t allow anyone who posed as a threat near her. I also needed a safe place to stay. We decided to just go and observe the Citadel. We might see a way in if we watch the place carefully.

Leaving Nora to repair her Pack and Hart to help her and to guard the precious papers we had salvaged from the Allaway House, Alexis and I headed to northern Italy the next evening, travelling to the hills and mountains of the Alps. Snuggled away in the depths of the mountains was a large and ancient city named Strix, the heart of the Families world. Hovering above it in the higher peeks was the Citadel, a huge temple like building that was home to the Crone and the Training Grounds.

We sat and stared at the glowing halo that hovered over the old tall buildings. We were a fair distance away and neither of us would dare to let our guard down. I had sent an owl hours ago and received word quickly in reply from the one ally I had. He had said he would be there soon to collect us. Now, with the sun beginning to rise, I was getting restless.

“Where is he?” I mumbled to myself.

Alexis walked to my side, sniffing at the air and staring the city that hovered miles from him. “He will be here soon. I doubt he will not want to be involved.” Alexis said soothingly, letting his cheek rest against the top of my head.

Now I had accepted him, Alexis was touching me more often. In fact he seemed to have lost all fear, even the small barrier back before I was nearly burned to death, and took every chance to be in contact with me. It was a little strange to be with a man who just simply wanted to touch my hair or hand and nothing else. It was strange being in a something more than a one night stand to be honest. It was a nice strange though, I had to admit.

“I know but he should be here by now.” I said in hopes I couldn’t sense my sudden swell of pleasure.

About then the lights of a car loomed from the darkness. We ducked sharply, keeping ourselves hidden from the driver’s eyes, before it slowed and stopped. The driver got out, a rather short man with floppy black hair, and squinted into the darkness.

“Augusta.” He whispered hoarsely into the world.

I sighed sharply then slunk out of hiding. “You took your time Efisio.”

“I am sorry, Augusta, but things are slightly mad in the city.”

Alarm blared. “What’s happening? Trouble?”

Efisio gave me a strange stare before he shook his head. “No, of course not , but witches are flooding in from all the Families.” He paused thoughtfully. “You do remember that it’s the Crone’s birthday in a few days.”

I blinked in surprise. Yes, of course I had known. Ilda’s birthday was in late August. We had always celebrated it as children with Romana by going swimming at the small lake near the Citadel. Now she was Crone she celebrated it with a huge masquerade, as tradition dictated. But Ilda was dead. Dead people don’t celebrate their birthdays.

“Ethelinda obviously has no choice.” I muttered under my breath but perked up at the news of the Crone’s Masquerade.

“You’ll need to shift, Augusta, into a mouse or something. With so many witches around we can’t take chances with your true self outside.” Efisio said and opened the car door.

I dutifully shifted into my tiny mouse and waited for Alexis to pick me up and carry me into the car. He sat in the front, next to Efisio, and let me sit on his right shoulder so I could peer out the window. Without a word, Efisio took us towards Strix’s ancient body and her shining lights. When we entered the sandy coloured city, I had already spotted numerous witches. There were going to be hundreds of them and all here for the Crone’s birthday. I just hoped none would go for Alexis. While they were technically now on a holiday as such, some might be trigger happy. The Crone is a powerful figurehead and there are always attacks made by the immortals on her live. Needless to say not many immortals actually went near Strix, especially at this time of year.

I stared at the ancient city with a glint of nostalgia in my beady black eyes. The last time I was here was nearly twenty years ago and that was just a brief visit to congratulate Ilda on her rise to Crone status. I didn’t normally attend the masquerade. While I may wear a mask, I didn’t want anyone to recognise me as someone who doesn’t age. Before Ilda’s rise, I had only come here for my training as a witch. Along with the seven others, all of whom I don’t remember much of, I was raised to watch both worlds, ensuring they remain apart. It had been a long time since those calmer and less life threatening days. I use to sit in the sun, play with Ilda and Romana, who I also saw as rivals. We made a game of it to outdo each other in training. It was fun, even after I couldn’t walk in the daylight hours. After that my life became grimmer and lonelier, cold even, as I stuck to my grandmother’s and the Crone’s rules. I glanced at Alexis who was watching the window with wariness. At least my life wasn’t so cold anymore, even if I was disobeying the most severe woman I had ever encountered. If she was still alive I would never want to come face to face with her again now I had a family of my own.

My thoughts trailed off and hesitantly I looked back at the young man driving the small car. It was maybe ten years since I last saw Efisio, when I was training Diana in her later years at the Citadel. Efisio was a rare son of a witch. Normally a witch only ever gave birth to females, Matter users, but now and then a male, a non-Matter user, is born. Diana had always doted over Efisio as he was six years her junior. She guarded him and always watched over his training, ensuring he could fight the best he could to protect himself if the need ever arose. No doubt word would have reached him and his mother about her death.

“I am sorry about Diana.” I mumbled when the silence grew lengthy and Diana’s tired bloody face kept flashing in my mind now I was so close to her brother.

Efisio glanced at me and gave me a small smile. “She died doing what she was told to by my grandmother, and I wouldn’t doubt she did it with pride.” He said. “And we’ll do the same, mother and I. We’ll get the warlock back. We’ll talk more when we’re somewhere safe though. Is it safe to say you know something more than us?”

My small nose twitched. “We know vaguely what is happening.”

Efisio grinned. “Then you definitely know more.”

He pulled up to a tall thin house that was crushed between others of its kind. He quickly got out, indicating for Alexis to do the same, and bounded up the steps. Glancing around as he unlocked the door, he slipped inside then shut it once Alexis was inside. We stood in a wide room that was both the lounge, kitchen and dining room combined into one. At first nothing moved in the light room until Eifiso called out.

“Mother, I have Augusta and Alexis with me.” He said as he pushed Alexis into a small wicker chair.

There was movement on the floor above and heavy footsteps came downstairs rapidly. I looked up when a short woman wearing commando shorts and huge plain black top appeared. I instantly recognised her as Franca, the mother of Diana and Efisio, and the child I had watched Ilda raise with interest and jealousy. She grinned at me, wrinkling her eyes, and darted forward to gather me into her hands.

“Hello Auntie.” She said heartily in her rough voice.

I bristled. “Do not call me that, Franca.”

She chuckled and put me back on Alexis’ shoulder then tugged on her thick French plaited hair. “I hear you need our help.”

“The warlock, Eugene, Ilda has got him now.”

Franca frowned, increasing the depths of her faint wrinkles, the only sign of her growing age. “I know.” She said. “Mother had been going on about it this morning. Also muttering about the fact you still eluded the Families. Kept calling us incompetent.” Franca snorted. “If mother knew you like she should do, she wouldn’t be surprised. If you want to hide, you’ll hide. Only someone who really wants to find you can.”

“They did.” Alexis said while he watched his thumb trail over my small furry back.

“Yes, yes they did.” Franca mumbled then raised her eyes with a mischievous glint in them. “But I also know where Eugene is.”

Joy blossomed like an exploding rose in my mind. “You do?”

“Yes. He is held under the Citadel in the older prisons.” She glanced sharply at the window then back at me. “But right now you’re not going to be able to move in half an hour. We can talk about it in the evening.”

“We don’t have time thought.” I said, trying to distinguish between my joy and my anguish. Eugene was so close. He was in the city but I just couldn’t reach him yet.

“We have time Augusta. Nothing has happened yet and nothing will for a while apparently.” Franca smiled lightly. “Just sleep the day away. Tomorrow, you’ll tell us what you know and then we’ll decide what to do. Whatever it is, it will be when the masquerade is in swing. Only then will you be able to get inside without the worry of being spotted.”

Before I could argue as my emotions fluttered about in my stomach, Alexis’ caged me in his hands gently and smiled at Franca. “We shall sleep for now and talk with you in the evening.”

Franca nodded, not bothering to question who Alexis was exactly. “The top floor is yours.”

With a single goodnight, Alexis took me up the narrow flight to the fourth floor. It was a single room, very narrow, with a window filled with the lightening sky outside. He put me on the bed with the small bag Nora had given us and let me shift while he pulled the blinds down.

“Don’t push yourself. You won’t be able to rescue Eugene if you’re not functioning.” Alexis said after analysing the blinds and deciding it should keep most of the light out.

“I know.” I mumbled as I pulled out some a thin shirt and shorts. “It is frustrating though. He is so close, Alexis.”

“Just be patient.” Alexis said soothingly.

I grunted in reply as he sat next to me and began untying his shoes. Wanting to get out of suit I had been wearing for days now, I quickly unzipped it and wriggled out of the tight leather. It took some ignoring when I sensed Alexis stiffen and his gaze became from warm, making my skin tingle. It was strange. I had been seen naked, let alone just in my underwear, by men before. Being observed so silently and lustfully by Alexis however made my body feel like it was on fire. Almost hurriedly I pulled the shorts and wrapped the shirt around myself then dived into bed, not wanting to see Alexis’ expression. He was a very expressional man and showed his love for me clearly constantly, even when he was trying to hide it. If just feeling his gaze on me was enough to send me into a nervous hot mess then I didn’t want to know what his eyes could do when they showed he hungered for me.

I curled under the covers, sensing the rising sun clearly now, and waited patiently as Alexis, at first unmoving, removed what clothes he felt was necessary. He tugged the cover away from me but shielded me from the glowing light that seeped through the blind. He growled at it to himself, promising me he’ll get something stronger, as he slipped into bed beside me. I needed no encouragement and curled myself around him, placing my head on his chest and smiled when I felt him press numerous kisses on my head. Rapidly, and very contentedly, the sun forced me into my thick slumber, forcing me to rest until the moon ruled the sky.