The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 36

I stared up at the long road that swivelled up to the huge dome buildings that were the Citadel. Connected by paths and bridges, the Citadel was built to house hundreds of witches. At first when there were not so many then when the Families blossomed in numbers and used to train the youngest of witches. These days the Citadel has not been used to its full capacity in years. With the Families dwindling from the Witch Trials in Europe and dying against the Parasite Plague before the turning of witches were prohibited, we were left with only hundreds, instead of thousands, of witches. It sounded like a lot but when you have only so many witches spread across the world to keep an eye on both the Old World and the Mortal World, our numbers become dangerously thin.

I sat on Efisio’s shoulder and stared at the Citadel through my tiny eyes. In there was Eugene, hidden away from the world. So was the Crone possessed by Ethelinda.

“Are you sure you can do this alone?” Efisio whispered.

“Yes.” I murmured as I glanced around at the darkness. “It is better if I do this alone. The more threats around her, the faster the Crone will realise she is in danger.”

Efisio grumbled in acceptance before he turned and took me back to his home. So far no one had find me yet. Alexis had remained indoors as promised and Romana had thankfully kept her distance. After her demands that I return to isolation I have been a little torn. I wanted to stand beside Alexis, every part of me did. I wanted Eugene back and live a little unlike the last sixty odd years of my life. I didn’t want to return to sitting alone, waiting for a call from the Crone to send me away on a hunt. Having no contact apart from the odd call from my Family and male companion I found randomly. Romana was adamant I did though and through her harsh words, memories began to form nightmares. The last two days I had actually dreamt in my unconscious state. Memories of the dark room where the Crone and grandmother recited my rules over and over loomed in my mind. Remain alone. Never make contact with the Old World unless instructed to. Never reveal yourself to any. Exist, don’t live. Constantly the phantoms of grandmother and the Crone reminded me why I had to remain alone. I had to protect myself from abuse and being hunted by the Old World for being an enigma and to ensure that I would be left alone by both worlds, I was to keep myself hidden. Gaining a family, chinks in my armour, was not the way to go. After these nightmares I would wake up in a cold sweat with Alexis staring down at me with concern before wrapping me in his arms. As I was held by him, feeling so warm and protected, the fear those ancient words created would fade and my need to live grew. I refused to give my boys up. I wanted to live.

Efisio trundled up the stairs to his home and put me on the floor gently once he was indoors. I shifted slowly and walked into the open room while watching Efisio and his mother begin to cook food. Franca hadn’t found anything as expected. There was nothing held in the archives about immortal witches. I guessed maybe it was to keep themselves safe. The only knowledge would be passed down from words or those who had the immortality.

I collapsed on the sofa beside Alexis and sighed heavily. Thankfully I hadn’t stirred him as he slept sprawled out contentedly. He wasn’t used to being up as late as I am. The rotor of guarding Eugene made it impossible. I remained silent beside him, watching him sleep to keep the phantoms of the elderly women I feared so much away from my mind. As another way to keep the nightmares at bay I went over what was to happen in two nights time.

While Eifisio and Alexis snuck into the prisons in to retrieve Eugene, I would go face the Cone. It was going to be hard. There would be hundreds of witches in there all under the impression that Ilda was still alive. Seeing me shoot down their ruler would cause them to turn against me with guns blazing. I just hoped Franca, Romana and my Family would be able to get me out there alive. I wasn’t certain if I could survive against being shot by numerous Matter bullets all at once. I hadn’t tried it before and neither did I intend to any time soon. I was praying this worked. It was a risky plan and Franca was relying on the fact that she was the daughter of Ilda to act as my shield. If the daughter was fine, the rest of the witches should be. I was a little concerned about one thing however.

I ran my tongue over my slightly sharp and lengthened canines. These last few days my teeth had been altering themselves with the blossoming moon. My urge was growing within me meaning I would have very little Matter at hand. Already I could feel my small amount of Matter dimming like a dying light. It wasn’t good at all especially as the change was late. It meant it would happen very fast this time.

Franca came bustling towards me and waved at me to come to the kitchen, indicating that our dinner was now complete. I woke Alexis reluctantly but was rewarded with his normal bright smile. There was concern there however. He watched me carefully as we ate but didn’t say a word. Just watched. It was after we had helped Franca clear up then returned to our room as the sun threatened the sky that he eventually let his thoughts be heard.

“I am not too happy about letting you deal with Ethelinda on your own.” He said and rubbed his neck as he watched me clamber into bed.

“I never expected you to be.” I said with a soft smile. “But it is the only way. Too many threats will only alert Ethelinda before I can get close enough for the shot.”

“I know, I know.” He sighed heavily and sat at the end of the bed. “It’s just uncertain if you will come out of there alive.”

I watched him for a moment and gazed with a sad expression at his broad back. He was right of course. There was no guarantee I would get out alive. The Masquerade was going to be very dangerous. Instead of speaking, I shuffled over so I could envelope him and press my face against his neck. I let myself take comfort from him, much like he was taking comfort from me, before I let go and tugged him into bed. Silently we curled around each other.

As the sun forced me into a deep slumber, I was expecting to see the horrible visages and words of the two elderly women who raised me. I wasn’t expecting a dark void of nothingness and the voice of Eugene calling me. I whirled about in the darkness, shouting his name, and searched the gloom until I practically ran into him. I crouched down and grabbed his face as I checked him over frantically until he managed to wrench my hands away and fling himself at me.

“I’ve been trying to reach you for days.” He said sadly. “I could feel you but couldn’t take hold.”

I laughed softly while trying to hold back my tears of pure joy and relief at being in contact with him once more. I was also very impressed he could do this now. Only Warlocks could contact witches through Matter. When a witch slept, the Warlock could seek to contact her in her dreams by feeling for her Matter. I thought this occurred during the later years of a Warlock’s life however.

“You’ve become stronger yet again.” He hummed contentedly and nodded his head happily as he pulled away. “But what I want to know is why did you go to Anna?” I asked firmly.

A pale and miserable expression covered his face now. “I didn’t want Nora or the others to get hurt. Diana and Martha have both died to keep me safe. Even you have nearly died. I didn’t want Nora to die too. Alex would be very upset if she did.”

“Eugene, we guard you for a reason.” I said softly and stroked his thick hair. “Diana and Martha both died to keep you safe. I would too. You’re special and we can’t let you be used. It would do no one any good.”

“But they died because of me.” He mumbled hopelessly.

“No Eugene, they didn’t die because of you. They died because of Ethelinda. If she wasn’t chasing you and killing any who got in her way, we wouldn’t be having this problem.” I said sharply. I didn’t want him to have that thought in his head. “This mess is not your fault. Do you understand?”

Eugene stared up at me before he hung his head. “Yes, mother.”

For a moment he didn’t realise what he had said and I knew the instant he did. His eyes widened and his face flushed with embarrassment while his hands clapped over his mouth.

“I’m really sorry Augusta.” He said hurriedly.

I smiled at him while trying to suppress the rising bubble of pleasure that was growing in the pit of my stomach. “That’s fine Eugene. I don’t mind.”

He appeared taken aback. “You don’t?”

I just smiled. “Now go. I am sure this is very taxing for you.” Eugene nodded obediently. “Alexis and I will get you back soon. I promise.”

He grinned up at me. “I hope so. I would like to be back with you and Alex.”

I kissed his forehead in farewell and watched as the blackness engulfed me once again, taking Eugene away from my dream, but leaving me with the ever strengthening will to leave my life of isolated existence.