The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 39

I had failed. Ilda was still alive even though I had such a clear shot. If only Anna hadn’t jumped in the way and taken the bullet. Well, at least she was dead, even if I was a little deflated about it. It had not been the way I had wanted to avenge Diana and Martha, I had expected more of a fight and an outlet for my rage, but Anna went the same way they did, dying for someone they wished to protect. Only I didn’t slit their throats when they didn’t hurry up and die.

I leaned back heavily and tried my best to ignore the chill in the stone room. They had stripped me of my huge dress and left me in my complicated underwear so they could chain me to the wall. I had remained here for the last couple of hours and now I was beginning to wonder what was happening. As a way to comfort myself I held the essence of Alexis close to me. He was strong, sleeping almost but way too heavy for it to be natural. From the pangs of pain rippling from him I knew he was hurt. Every part of me wanted to find him and soothe him, to keep him safe, but the cold shackles locked around my wrists were not going to let me leave any time soon.

I sighed lightly and let my tongue touch my teeth. My fangs had lengthened once again and absentmindedly I felt them, as I normally did when I was concerned. I didn’t know where Eugene was. I didn’t even know if Franca and Efisio were safe. Hell, even my Family. Romana had been with the others in the main hall, ready to defend me once Ilda was dead. It wouldn’t take a genius to work out the Romana was on my side and, even if Ilda hadn’t killed them, she would’ve at least locked them away. I sighed once again, this time heavily. Even if I got out of here I had no idea where people were and their condition. I was stuck.

I rested my head on my arm and stared blankly at the desk that stood alone in the dark room. Behind it the large curved windows let in faint moonlight, not as much as it should be so assumed it was cloudy outside now. I let my eyes make out the shadows the thin light cast while letting my memories cloud my vision. Childhood memories, bright and warm, flittered over my mind, soothing my worries of my family and friends that were trapped in this large maze like building with an axe hovering over their necks.

My senses became alert when I heard footsteps and voices beyond the heavy door. Lights flickered beneath it, indicating very strongly that someone was approaching. As the door swung open, I smiled coldly at Ilda as she swept into the room, now wearing far simpler clothes, and sat behind the desk. There was a heavy moment of silence and hostility as we stared at one another.

“Where is Alexis and my Family?” I demanded sharply as irritation began to grate and mixed with the sharp horrible worry for my lover and child.

“They’re kept hidden away. First, I want to know who you are.” Ilda demanded.

“You know who I am.”

“You know what I mean.” She snapped. “You know who I am, what I do to survive. I know because you have killed Victoria. Anna told me and found papers missing, those of which I am still searching for. So, who are you? How is it you have killed my two strongest daughters? How is it you can repel me? How is it, that even after possessing a woman who has known you from childhood, cannot access any memory that contains you?” She stared in both anger and interest as I remained silent. “You aren’t natural, I can tell that. I should be able to possess whoever I want but you repelled me, no matter how many times I tried.” She growled.

“I want to know where Alexis and Eugene are.” I snarled once again.

Ilda’s face grew dark rapidly but very quickly she restrained it. “You want your family back, don’t you. Your cousins, this woman’s children, my son, and your lover.” She clicked her tongue at me lightly. “Disobeying the rules. Witches can’t love an immortal. ‘Tis too dangerous.” She held up her hand sharply when I opened my mouth to repeat my question in a colder tone. “You can have them all back if you wish.”

My eyebrows snapped down into an untrusting glare. “You’ll just give me back my family?”

Ilda snorted. “Of course not. You have to fight for them. I take that there is no point in asking if you will.”

“No.”

“Then I shall be blunt. In order for you to gain your family back, you have to kill me.” I was silent as rage brewed at her suggestion and Ilda latched on rapidly. “You don’t know do you? How to kill me.” I remained quiet. “Well that will make it fair. You, an immortal who can shape shift, versus me, an elderly woman.”

“I have killed you once before, when you were Irma.” I snapped.

She smiled. “But you have yet to kill me. The real me. If you fail, well, you’d be dead, and I will take my son and kill the rest. Do we have an agreement?”

I bit my lip hard as I scowled at her. I didn’t exactly have much of a choice. Ethelinda felt she had the upper hand. I had beaten her in the past but she still lived. She knew I didn’t know how to actually destroy her once I killed her host. I would just have to wing it and hope I noticed something I didn’t when I fought Irma. I knew she survived through her Matter at least.

“Fine. I’ll play.” I agreed sharply.

A strange smile spread over Ilda’s face, an unnatural expression for my old friend. “Good. I shall ask Franca where your weapons and suit is. In one hour we’ll meet in the Training Grounds for our fight to the death.”

Without another word, she left me still chained to the wall. I leaned back against the cold surface and let my head drop against my arm. I didn’t like this situation at all but if I was going to save my family, I had to fight and win. This time I had to do it properly.

My half closed eyes snapped open when I felt movement from Alexis. He stirred and I felt confusion before rage settled in. It was silent but it was there, strong and just about restrained. Instantly he was seeking me and relaxed a little when he sensed I was unharmed. He filled my mind and body with affection, trying to soothe my worries and convince me we would get out of here alive. I doubted it to be honest. Unless I kill Ethelinda completely, everyone was going to die.

I looked up sharply when the door opened, stirring me from my sleep. In walked two women, still dressed in flamboyant dresses and venetian masks, and threw my suit at my feet.

“You better not try to make a break for it. Remember that you don’t know where your family is and I will order their deaths if you try anything.” Ilda warned from the doorway as the two witches unlocked the shackles from my wrists.

“I know.” I murmured, flashing an icy smile as I rubbed my wrists lightly in hopes it would coax the aching pain to go quickly.

“Get dressed then. I’ll see you at the Grounds.” She said confidently then left the doorway.

I scowled at the door then glanced at the two women standing eerily still at either side of me. It didn’t help that they wore full masks. All I could see were their eyes blinking now and then, never leaving my face. Silently I slipped on my witch-suit, feeling much better and safer now that I had it on. Silently, my two guards handed me my sword and my gun and continued to stare wordlessly as I harnessed my weapons onto my belts. Once ready, one witch led the way, indicating for me to follow, while the second trailed after me like a second shadow.

They guided me through the catacombs of the Citadel, walking passed giant doors that led to the numerous libraries this part held, until we reached the lower floors. The skirts swept over the stone floor and the hems became wet very quickly when we walked outside. A cold chill was now in the air and a storm was brewing over the mountain, causing spits of rain to fall over the city. I continued onwards, stroking my gun as we neared out destination. I didn’t need to have a mental map or memories to know I was getting close to the Training Grounds. On either side of the path were witches. They watched silently, some with hostility, others with confusion or surprise, but they were all still and their eyes stared at me from behind their decorative masks.

Rain began to fall harder as we neared a motionless crowd surrounding one of the numerous large arenas. There were three outdoor ones, huge expanses of stone with large sweeping arches that looped from one edge of the platform to the other, connecting both of the spectator stands that stood at either side. Numerous pillars and walls were littered about it, all different height and width as a way of training a witch to fight in a city terrain. It created a kind of maze, one I always found easy to move about in as a child. I could always sense were the other witches were in the maze of pillars.

My two guides stopped when their feet touched the edge of the Training Ground and simply watched when I turned to them for instructions. Guessing I was to step forward, I walked out into the centre of the Ground where the pillars and walls circled about it. I glanced up at the huge stands that swept upwards. Hundreds of white masks stared down, watching silently. There wasn’t so much as a ripple of movement from any of the witches. There was no need to question why this was happening. The Crone had declared that she was to fight me to the death. This was simply business.

“You are prepared.” Ilda said as she walked towards me from the opposite direction.

“I am.” I said coldly, gripping the hilt of my sword and gun.

“Good, then look behind you.” She ordered.

I did as I was asked and my eyes widened in relief when I saw Alexis, Eugene and even my Family standing just beyond the tiny wall that marked the edge of the Ground. Eugene I was thankful to see. He was unharmed, terrified and looking very pale, but unharmed. Romana, Emilia, Franca, Efisio and the five other members of my Family were standing proudly without any wounds on their bodies, ignoring the witch pistols pressed against the back of their skulls. My heart sunk and my chest tightened from rage and fear when I observed Alexis however. His face was bloodied and his pale hair was matted with it while his shirt was torn, revealing deep wounds. I didn’t like seeing him hurt but what made it even worse that he was determined not to show pain. I could feel it, almost taste it now that I was close to him, but he still hid it from me.

“Weakness is a bad thing.” Ilda stated. “He is yours and I shall use him against you.”

“You promised not to hurt him!” I snarled as I whirled around just to see her wave her hand in the air.

“No, I promised not to kill him. My witches got a bit enthused when they found him with Eugene. He also tried to escape numerous times. They had to put him in his place.”

I looked wildly back at him, watching with pain as three witches forced him to step further onto the Grounds then forced him to his knees. I felt rage bite hard and struggled with the urge to blow the witches brains out as they put shackles on his wrists, ensuring he could not move. How was I didn’t know they were hurting him? He felt so strong, so well, when he was in my mind, as if everything was fine. How could I not realise when he always knew when I needed him or felt sad? He could sense my alarm as plain as day and smiled his stupid smile to comfort me, sending me warmth and strength through our connection which only made this horrible pain in my chest writhe and twist.

“Remember the rules. Kill me, your family lives. Fail, you’re all dead and Eugene is mine.” She said firmly. “Now let me go into more detail about what I meant when I said I would keep your family alive. To save them you must kill me rapidly because if you don’t, I’ll possess each one and you will fight them until death, starting with your mate. When this body dies, I will use him as my next puppet.” She explained, drawing her sword and weighing it in her hand.

My blood froze. I had to fight them? My Family? Eugene? Even Alexis? Until I actually destroy Ethelinda? At first hopelessness filled me. I had beaten Irma but I have never beaten Ethelinda. I had no idea how to. She was immortal. But so was I. I could take hits, as many as I wanted. If I could draw out this fight, I might find something that I missed the first time. I had to. I needed to kill Ethelinda.

I drew my sword in reply and swung it once, letting it cut through the thickening rain, before standing in a battle stance with my cold smile plastered on my face. I wasn’t going to let her touch Alexis or Eugene. They were mine to protect and keep safe and that was just what I was going to do.

“Ready when you are.” I stated.

Ilda smiled. “Good.” She replied before darting forward and letting our swords clash, sending out a ring of metal that marked the beginning of a very long and gruelling battle.