The Bloody Masquerade

Epilogue

I hurt. I hurt so much. My shoulder ached and my chest throbbed. Most of all my head was splitting. With difficulty I managed to get my eyes to open. A strange blurry haze filled my vision and it wasn’t until it cleared that I saw two faces hovering over me.

Franca was grinning down at me while Efisio appeared slightly worried. While I was very pleased to see them looking so well, I was a bit confused as to why they were there.

“I’ll go wake Alexis.” Efisio whispered then darted out my vision.

Franca nodded at him before she leaned back over me. “If you want to know, you’ve been out for over a week and you’re in the Citadel. You’re safe here by the way. You took down Ilda in a fair fight. No witch will harm you now.” Franca said in a soft voice while her eyes gleamed. “I am glad to see you awake. Had us scared there for a moment, Augusta.”

“I’m not dead.” I stated blankly as dim realisation slithered in my mind. I thought I had been dying. I should’ve been dying. “Why not?”

Franca shrugged. “I don’t know but don’t knock it. You’re alive still and I assume the witch you were after is dead.”

I nodded stiffly. “I killed her.” I mumbled tiredly, recalling those screams and flames after my bullets had hit her squarely in the face.

Suddenly remembering that fight, my hand shot out and gripped my left shoulder. Wildly I felt my flesh and arm, almost laughing with relief when I felt it was all intact. There was no wound. I still had my arm. I was thankful that, while the horrible pain was there, the wounds I gained in that strange place within me did not mirror in reality. A one armed witch was a dead witch.

Franca patted my cheek heavily. “Well done. Eugene is safe now so rest up. I shall leave you with your family.”

I simply stared up at the white ceiling above me. There was a strange feeling bubbling in my chest. It was warm and my heart stutter. I decided it was joy. Pure joy. I had always been ready to die. Sometimes I even welcomed the idea of death if it meant ending my existence. I realised that when faced with it I guess I wasn’t truly happy. Not when I now had something to live for. Not when I had some new information to dig up about myself. Edith. That was the name Ethelinda had called me, that name hidden deep in my memories. I needed to know the meaning behind that name and the memories that were missing. I needed to know why that tiny room was so important to me. I guess the only person who can help me now was Sinclair. She would be willing I knew, I just hoped I was prepared to face whatever I had forgotten and what I was.

I winced when the door was flung open and it slammed loudly against the stone wall. I barely had time to snap at whoever it was for making my headache worse as the footsteps stopped abruptly before my bed and their mouth captured mine. I would’ve pulled the gun Elenora had dutifully placed from under my pillow and put a bullet through their head if it wasn’t for the fact I so readily recognised the feel of the man’s lips and the heady scent that filled my nose.

Alexis held my face, letting the pads of his thumbs stroke my cheek slowly as he kissed me deeply. He had been scared, terrified even, and now, seeing me vaguely awake and normal, he was filled with relief. He muttered to himself darkly as he littered my face with small kisses. I just smiled softly to myself, wondering why on earth I was more than happy to die and leave him all alone in the world.

“Letting Ethelinda take you was stupid.” He growled as his relief turned to irritation at my recklessness.

“I wasn’t going to fight her through you.” I said firmly. “But I managed to take her down. You can only kill her when she is trying to take possession of her it turned out.” I nuzzled his cheek in an attempt to soothe his concern for me. “I found out many things, Alexis. Many.”

“What sort?”

“Why Ethelinda did what she did, why she wanted me and maybe a little more about myself.”

“And?”

“Ethelinda sees the Old World as a threat. She believes the immortals cause mortals to sin and that immortality turns them mad so she want to destroy the ‘demons’, as she called them.” I paused. “I guess she is right though. Some turned ones do become violent. Those your father turned weren’t exactly calm and collected about their immortality and strength.”

He grunted in agreement. “The ability to turn humans is not meant to be used like that though, Augusta. Just turning them into wolves to bolster his Pack is abusing that ability. Turning is meant to only be used for those who grow attached to a specific human or choose a human as a mate. That’s all.”

I blinked. I hadn’t known this at all. “Really?”

He nodded and stroked my cheek absentmindedly. “If an immortal finds a human they feel they cannot live without, they can make them immortal. This human will be tied strongly to them and it is the immortal’s job to ensure they remain safe and obey the rules of the Old World. For vampires, the human will turn mad if they don’t feed from them on a regular basis. For werewolves and jaguars, the years will simply catch up to them over a couple of days if their maker dies. Being given immortality used to be a sign of true trust between the immortal and human. Nowadays it’s just thrown about. There is no love in it.”

“You haven’t turned me.”

“There is no point. You’re immortal already.” He said and I just about managed to smother the small slither of doubt. I still didn’t know if I just retained my youth or if I was really immortal. “Besides, we would be in even more trouble if I did. No turned Witches are allowed to exist, remember?” I nodded lightly and smiled. “So tell me what else you found out.”

I hesitated. “Ethelinda could feel me when she was merged in my body. She knew me. Knew all my past, even the parts I can’t remember when I was very small. She knew something about my father and implied he is very significant to what I am.”

“And did you find out what you are?”

“She refused to tell me but she did say I was a myth. Some sort of Old World folklore.”

His eyebrows furrowed. “We don’t have folklore.”

I shrugged. “Well that’s what she said. She also called me by the name of Edith at one point.”

“Edith.” Alexis echoed in bewilderment.

“I recognised it. It is a name hidden in the blank memories.”

“You don’t remember why you recognise it?”

I shook my head lightly. “No. I just know it is important. Eva will be able to tell me why.”

“We’re still going to her?”

“We have no choice. Not only do I think that she will be able to tell me what I need to know but I must pass on all the information I have on the threat. Ethelinda may be dead now but her daughters are still out there, fuelling the human’s hatred towards us. I have only put their attack on hold for now.”

Alexis only frowned but fell silent when the door opened quietly and the sound of feet shuffling in scratched at the air. I smiled at the hesitant boy who stared at me with wide worried eyes.

“Is she Augusta?” He asked nervously.

“She is still Augusta. I told she was.” Alexis reached out for his hand. “Now come say hello. She has done an awful lot to keep you safe.”

He shuffled forward then gently took my hand. After sensing my Matter and realising I was still me, he flung himself at me and clung to my neck. He didn’t say anything, just silently fought back his tears. I returned his embrace, feeling quite happy holding the child I considered my own. He would be the only child Alexis and I would have.

I grew concerned when I heard loud voices. Alexis stiffened and turned his back on me, poised for battle. I understood why he was twitchy when the door was flung open and Romana came storming in, her eyes ablaze. Franca was beside her, looking quite angry herself as she demanded Romana to leave. Romana simply ignored her, forcing her to step down, and instantly went to Alexis.

“I told you you are not to be near Augusta!” She roared.

Alexis growled softly and stepped to shield myself and Eugene from view. “You can’t separate us, not without killing us both. I have told you that.”

“She can’t have you nor can she have Eugene. She is not allowed, it is against her laws. She has to remain alone for her own good.”

Alexis said nothing and instead acted out of character. Rage was glowing deep within him, I could feel it clearly like I was sitting beside a warm fire, and his wolf stirred. His skin rippled as his fur burst into existence, smoothly shaping his wolf skin around his growing body.

Alexis snapped his jaws and his tail twitched irritably. “I won’t let her be alone anymore.”

“She will fall if people get close to her.” Romana warned testily. “The Old World will hunt her down when they hear about her so the fewer people around her, the better. So you will leave and never have anything to do with her. The boy will come back with me and be trained under the Nespola Family. She will go back to how she lived before.”

Alexis bristled. “I am not going to betray her and I will kill any who threaten her. She is my mate, Romana. I won’t let her go easily.”

Romana stared at him with an expression of stone. “Fine.”

I knew what she was going to do and I reacted before her fingers even touched her witch-gun. A loud crack echoed in the room and Romana froze. Slowly she turned her dark eyes onto me, staring at my ancient witch-gun that was aimed at her.

“That is a warning, Romana. You will leave me to live my life. I choose to accept Alexis and I choose to raise Eugene. Once I have spoken to Eva, I will disappear. No one will find me until I wish to be found so you do not have to worry about the Old World discovering me.” I said darkly.

Very slowly, understanding slowly dawned on Romana’s face. She nodded her head once and tapped her cane on the floor lightly. “Then so be it. You are hence forth abandoned by the Family and released from my protection. You’re on your own.”

I smiled softly. “Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me when the Old World finds you.” Romana said sharply.

“You can’t be serious?” Franca demanded in shock. “You’re abandoning her?”

“It is what she wants. The Family has protected her for years but she no longer wants its protection. As a result and in a bid to keep the members safe, I will reject her from the Family.” She turned her gaze onto me. “Don’t come crawling back when it all goes wrong.”

“I don’t intend to.”

Romana grunted then, after one last glance at me, she left the room, letting Alexis calm down and shift once again.

“Are you sure that is a good idea? A witch needs her Family for support.” Franca said worriedly.

“Romana will help me if I desperately need it but no, I can’t be in a Family anymore. I have to be on my own if I want to raise Eugene in peace. For the time being, I hang up my sword.”

“You’re retiring?” Franca gaped.

“Until I need to come back. Right now, I just want to stop. I have been running, hiding, killing and obeying for too long, Franca. I just want to have a few years of peace.”

Franca slowly gave in. “How long will you be gone?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Until Eugene is ready at least. I will keep him safe from further harm and teach him everything he needs to know.”

“Well if this is what you want, I guess there is no stopping you.” Franca sighed.

“Most witches retire years before me, Franca. You forget I am in my sixties.” I said lightly and smiled in comfort. “I will contact you when I am ready to come back.”

She stared at me then sighed even heavier and nodded her head in defeat. “Then I shall await your return soon, Aunt. But you remain here for another day. You need your rest first.” Franca ordered then left the room.

“You’re serious in leaving the Family?” Eugene echoed.

“I am and we shall leave tomorrow.” I said tiredly.

“Where will we be going?”

“First we’re going to Romania. I need to talk to Eva.”

“And then where?”

“I am not certain. Somewhere quiet and safe. I don’t want another immortal to try and take advantage of you again.”

Eugene smiled gently and squeaked when Alexis lifted him from the bed. “Go now Eugene. Augusta needs her rest.” Eugene didn’t argue and simply darted out form the room. “You plan to hide until the threat reappears, aren’t you?” Alexis guessed.

I glanced up at him thoughtfully. “I shall watch for them yes and it will be the only time I will return. I need to know what Eva will say first. I want to know what I am and who my father was. Once I know that I may know where I stand in the world and it may be ready for me once Eugene is grown.”

A smile twitched at his mouth and he leaned down to kiss my forehead warmly. “Well I stand by your side. We shall make Eugene strong so he won’t have to rely on others.”

“That is my intention.” I replied.

He chuckled lightly and kissed me once. “Sleep for now. I will wake you later.”

He left me alone, feeling warm and slightly giddy. I was free now. Romana had let me go. I could do what I pleased and the laws of the Witches and the laws of my grandmother would no longer chain me down. Alexis and I would keep Eugene hidden from the Old World and train him in safety, someplace where no one can hire me and force me to kill those I consider allies. I had fought a killed my oldest and most trusted friend and it had left me tired. Very tired. I just wanted to rest now. I was pleased Romana understood that.

I was slightly nervous though as to what Eva would find in my mind. In my memories was all the information I needed. I just needed someone to tell me what those memories were. To tell me who Edith was and to tell me what I was. I knew I was a myth. I knew wasn’t meant to exist. But I did.

And for the first time in my long existence, I was going to live and I intended to do so for as long as I remained alive.