The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 4

The sound of the door being hit rather enthusiastically was vaguely picked up by my ears. I woke to a horrible groggy sensation. My eyes could barely open and what they could see was incredibly blurred. The sun was waning in as the hours had worn on into the afternoon however it was still strong enough to render me useless. The door continued to be beaten but I didn’t move. Or more like I couldn’t move. Instead I remained in my bed and returned to sleep quite rapidly.

As the sun sunk beneath the skyline, casting out a bright pink and orange ocean in its wake, I stirred beneath my blanket. Somehow it covered me now but my head throbbed horribly, no doubt the reaction from having woken up during the day.

Slowly I got up and instantly went to hunt down some painkillers. As soon as I had found and swallowed them, I began to organise my usual evening coffee. As I mooched about my now tidy kitchen, I began to sense something outside my door. I paused in pouring in the milk into my cup and glanced sideways at the darkened door.

I had thought the person whacking it earlier may have been the landlord. I needed to pay him for this month’s rent so, having got no answer, I would’ve gone away. However there was a presence outside it, perfectly still and perfectly silent.

I put the carton down and walked lightly and quite slowly to the door. I gently placed my hands and ear against the cold rough surface and listened. The sound of the creaking building, TVs and raised voices were all picked up by my ears from the apartment complex. However, there was something else. Something far closer. Just outside, the sound of soft, even breathing could be heard, as if someone was asleep outside.

Seeing as there was no threat, I didn’t bother to go back and get my gun before I grabbed my key and unlocked the door. I pulled the door open and glanced out into the darkening, dingy hallway. Nothing was there but then my eyes caught sight of something to my left. Pressed into the corner between my door and the wall was a small bundle of clothes and hair. I placed my hands on my hips and titled my head as I observed the strange child, and as I stared, something along the lines of familiarity began to seep into my mind.

With one foot, I nudged the child’s leg, startling it into consciousness. A pair of bright youthful eyes framed by messy chestnut hair stared at me from a pale, freckled feminine face. For a moment we just stared at each other as the sense of knowing this child grew thick within me. The moment of silence was broken however when the child grinned suddenly in welcome.

“Hello, Augusta.” The feminine faced boy said.

I blinked a few times before I smiled. “How do you know my name, little boy?”

He laughed openly before he pointed at himself with both hands. “It’s me, Augusta. It’s Eugene.”

The sense of familiarity suddenly made sense. He had grown in height and become older in appearance to the point I didn’t recognise him instantly, but the eyes were the same eyes I remembered Eugene had as a five year old child.

I kneeled down beside him and pushed my hair from my confused etched face. “Why are you here Eugene?”

“The Crone sent me here. She said she would make sure you would know I was coming. Didn’t she phone you?” He queried with confusion.

I remembered that odd phone call from Crone Ilda and her warnings of her coming death. She also informed me that I was to take of care of the ‘boy’. I guess I should’ve known it was going to be Eugene. As a young Warlock, he would attract a lot of unwanted attention that he could not defend himself form. Well, until he was grown and well versed in battle anyway.

“She had told me I was to take care of a child but she had not named him. She told me other things which seemed to not make much sense either.” I told him.

He nodded his head in agreement. “The Crone didn’t really explain much to me either. She just said I had to be with you, someone strong enough to care for me.”

“So you don’t understand what’s going on either.” I mumbled then sighed.

“Sorry, Augusta.” He said quietly. “It just happened so quickly. As soon as Crone Ilda sent her orders to grandmother Romana, she sent me here. I never heard anything else other than I am to stay with you until things become safe.”

“It’s no fault of yours. I’ll just have to do some hunting around and seek out what on earth is going on back in Italy.” I told him and ruffled his hair.

He laughed lightly and gazed up at me with affection. I grinned at him and, noting his hair was in fact greasy and his stomach was growling a little, I stood up and held my hand out for him. He reached out happily and let me pull him onto his feet. I stood aside and propelled him into my home before shutting and locking the door firmly behind me.

“Put your things wherever you like. How hungry are you?”

Eugene thought for a moment as he pulled off that tattered rucksack and put it beside the sofa. “A little hungry.” He replied however he stomach gurgled loudly, indicating to the fact he was indeed quite hungry.

I glanced at him and smiled to myself. He hadn’t changed much. Yes, he had grown, but he was still the child that would lie to ensure he would be a little problem as possible.

“I shall do a fry up for you then.” I replied to him, ignoring the squeak of denial from Eugene. “Go shower, Eugene. Food would be ready as soon as you’re done.”

Without any argument, Eugene went and sought out the bathroom where he showered long and well. I pottered about the kitchen in an almost absent minded way as I cooked bacon, eggs and sausages for my hungry guest.

I did not like Eugene’s reappearance. To me, it was like a bad omen. The child brought danger with him, unintentionally yes, but he did all the same. Why the Crone sent him back to me now that I work once again on my own was beyond me. Eugene would’ve been safer with my Family back in Italy. A group of six, healthy women who could move about 24 hours of the day was possibly a better guard to have watch over the child. However, Eugene was handed to me five years ago and, with help, I defended him from Irma, his mother. And with Irma dead, one of the most powerful witches to live, he should no longer be in that sort of danger again.

“Augusta.” Eugene’s voice cut through my thoughts, alerting me to his presence. I looked down at him sharply and stared at his large, blue eyes. “I am ready now.” He said.

Wordlessly, I gathered the food onto a plate and guided him over to the single table in the room. He sat at the table and, as soon as I placed the plate and cutlery in front of him, he began to shovel food into his mouth.

“I am sorry I could not let you in earlier.” I apologised as I leant forward and cupped my chin in my hand.

Eugene shook his head and swallowed thickly. “I knew you wouldn’t come out but I thought Alexis would get the door.” He said and glanced over his shoulder, looking about the small room. “Where is he anyway?”

“He is not here, Eugene.” I replied softly.

His eyes swivelled back to me. “Do you mean he’s out?”

“No, Eugene. I mean he’s not here. I have not seen him for as long as I have not seen you.”

Shock filled his face. “But, why? Alexis was so loyal to you. Did you get into a fight or something?”

“No, we didn’t fight. I left.” I said.

“You left him? But I thought you two got on okay.” He said now looking a little miserable.

“We did but I am used to being on my own. Ties to any people of the Old World could become a problem for me.”

Eugene nodded his head, obviously remembering something from his stay with my Un-claimed Family.

“Will he be coming back though? To help look after me like he used to.” He asked in a small voice.

I pushed my lower lip out in thought and half closed my eyes as I observed Eugene. He did seem to really like Alexis and I don’t really want spread the knowledge of the child being in my care again. It was occurring to me I might just have to call him back. I couldn’t do this job alone.

“I will get in contact with him and see if he is willing as you seem to want to have him around.” I muttered to myself.

Eugene’s face lit up instantly and he giggled with contentment to himself before he began to eat again. Silence lapsed again as I happily watched Eugene eat with a small smile on my face, trying my hardest to ignore the swell of joy at seeing my old charge once again.

It was much harder to ignore the nervous tightening of my chest at the idea of seeing the stupid care-free wolf for the first time in five years however. Far harder.