Sequel: Warning
Status: completed

Precaution

I Ran So Far

Violet began to descend towards the floor of the hallway, but Sidney caught her before she crashed into the ground. “Violet?” He asked as Lucy ran over. She had been watching the whole time but had been hesitant to intervene in the bitterly hushed screaming match between the two.

“What did you do?” Lucy asked, not knowing what to do. Sid picked her up and Lucy grabbed her phone, desperately dialing for an ambulance. He didn’t say anything, he just started walking briskly down the hallway and into the locker room.

“What happened?” Jordan and Kris said, both darting over simultaneously to Sidney who moved through the locker room with Violet to the medical room. Marc went over to Lucy and the two of them followed Sidney. Chloe followed behind her fiancé, looking nervous and worried.

Deryk Engellend, who had sustained injuries during the game, got up too quickly when Sidney took Violet to see the team doctor and pulled a suture in his head. “What happened?” he asked while another member of the medical team pushed him back down and finished the stitch.

Sid placed Violet on the examination table, and Chloe pointed at her. “She’s bleeding.” She pointed at Violet, her face full of shock and worry. Lucy and Sidney both looked down to the blood that stained the thighs of her white jeans.

Sidney turned to Lucy sharply and Marc put his hand over his eyes, turning away with a deep sigh. Lucy could feel her eyes beginning to glisten as she stared back at Sidney and shook her head. “She’s pregnant.” Lucy finally said, her face breaking.

Sidney grabbed his head with both of his hands and turned away, causing Chloe to put a hand on his arm. He just brushed it off and turned to walk to the end of the room, a vain attempt to clear his head. Chloe just looked and Lucy and frowned, knitting her brows together.

“Were they close?” She asked, confused at her fiancé’s reaction. Lucy and Marc exchanged glances and Marc shook his head.

“They were friends or are still or—“ Marc began but Lucy just patted his arm and shook her head no.

“Violet’s close with most guys on the team. She just moved to Pittsburgh and they were the first friends she met here.” Lucy shrugged, holding her friends hand. Her eyes flickered open and she took an enormous gasp for air before clutching her abdomen in pain.

She made a noise and tried to move to a fetal position, her arms folded over her stomach. “Lucy?”

---

My legs were wet with blood as I laid on the Penguins examination table uncomfortably, a surge of pain rocketing through my side.

“Lucy?” I whispered in a broken gasp and the whole room focused their attention to me. But in a room filled with familiar faces, Sidney was the only one I bothered looking at. That hard stare, all the coldness and hate that had filled his expression earlier had washed away into regret and pain, into softness and concern. It caused my eyes to well and I leaned my head back, closing them for a second.

I could hear the sound of the sirens wail in the distance, the noise steadily growing louder with each passing second. I didn’t know what to say, I didn’t know what to do and I could feel myself beginning to fade away. Lucy had gone to show the ambulance in and before I fell back into unconsciousness, I grabbed Kris’s hand.

My chest heaved and I struggled to speak, the words unwilling to formulate on my lips. I just felt his hand, warm against my frozen own. “I’m pregnant. Don’t tell him.” I managed to whisper before fading back into the darkness.

---

Chloe’s eyes fell to Kris as he held Violets hand, watching him to obtain clarification, as if there were some backstory to Violet’s melodrama that she didn’t know.

The paramedics came and rolled her away, tucking her inside the truck before Lucy and Marc both jumped in. Kris and Jordan followed and the doors shut, the ambulance speeding towards the hospital.

Sidney grabbed the keys from his coat and Chloe darted to his side, the two of them following the ambulance. Sidney had his hands tight on the steering wheel, unable to face Chloe. He didn’t know whether to tell her or whether to let it go, to just keep the past in the past. He just exhaled sharply and kept his eyes on the road.

He was doing the best he could, the very best.
♠ ♠ ♠
Iran So Far -- SNL/Andy Samberg.